Guns left out at night or when you're out

This is a discussion on Guns left out at night or when you're out within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When sleeping, all of mine are in the masterbedroom. I don't have a safe, so when I'm not at home, I hide them in various ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns left out at night or when you're out

When sleeping, all of mine are in the masterbedroom. I don't have a safe, so when I'm not at home, I hide them in various places. If a BG were to search they could probably find one, but they are not in plain sight. By the way, I live by myself.

2. Remove Ads

I feel if you think you have the need to have a gun on your hip in your house, you are either paranoid or you need to move out of the ghetto. Sorry, just my opinion, but I live in Mayberry RFD, literally!!, I do have three weapons hidden throughout my house. My children 15 and 13 and my wife all know how to shoot and respect guns better than most adults I have shot with. If I am gone and something happens I feel they need to be able to take care of business. When I come home the iron goes off, so if something went down quickly I ,may not have time to get to my primary weapon, that is why I have them spread out. Can a BG find them and use them against me? Maybe, but as I said they are hidden, and this is a chance I am willing to take. I just can't see all my family members walking around the house with a pistol on their side. This is just my opinion and I feel it works for me, we each has to decide what works for each of us.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Personal story from my pre-gun days.

Seven days after we passed papers on our house, we backed up the driveway to drop some stuff off and do some repair work (we took a month between purchase and move). As I approach the back door I see all the cabinets open in the kitchen, then I notice the broken window in the door and my heart sinks. I told my Wife to put the boxes down, back out of the porch and head across the street to a neighbor's to call the police.

When I entered the house with the police, it was obvious that the thieves went out the back door as we were driving up and headed off thru the woods. This was 32 years ago.

As a gun owner, I have always feared that if anything were ever accessible, that I could walk into facing a thief with one of my guns pointed at me (or my Wife)! Everything is always locked up unless it is under my personal control. [MA law makes it a felony to do otherwise, but I've practiced this long before the 1998 idiotic law went into effect.]

Just something to think about!
    NRA Instructor

Everything in my house stays locked up in a full size gun safe when not in use. For my HD guns I use two V-Line cases, one for my SIG220ST in my nightstand and one under the bed for my Benelli M1S90.

I have a 3 1/2 year old at home and nothing is beyond his reach (apparently). When he's older he'll learn about gun safety and responsibility, but the guns will still stay locked up.

I also learned a lesson about unsecured firearms when a 16 year old neighbor of my cousin broke into his house and used an unsecured rifle to commit suicide. It took a heavy emotional toll on both families and that was back in 74 well before our current litigious society. I shudder to think what would happen today if some kid got a hold of one of my guns.

To me at least a couple of gunvaults are cheap insurance when compared to the possible legal fees in a lawsuit.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

You might be interested in this concealment furniture, I am planning to make something like this for myself.

http://www.innofab.com/prod.htm

Either under my direct control or locked away in the safe.

At night, my EDC is in the Gunvault next to my bed.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

The firearms I own are:
    Glock 30
    Kimber Pro Carry (work in progress)
    AR15
    Guide Gun
    Marlin 22LR
    NEF 20ga single shot

All are unloaded except the G30 is always loaded as it is my carry gun. The Kimber has a full mag inserted but MT chamber (going to shoot it first time tomorrow). The AR and others are under the bed. The two handguns are in the small pistol safe in the closet. The AR is in an unzipped case with bayonet attached and 5 each 20rd and 30rd mags inside.

I have a cheap LED flashlight on my side of the bed and another cheap LED light next to the pistol safe. The key is in the safe all the time unless I leave the house.

The 20ga is next door in my son's room MT with 5rds of Remy Nitro Steel #2 in a stock saddle. If SHTF at home my wife's job is to get to our son and retreat to our bedroom. The AR15 is hers to use. I told her if the AR jams, stab them with the bayo. That is what is it there for. If she is getting our son and the threat comes close to them in that room, that is why the 20ga is there.

So short answer is two guns loaded, two guns left at the ready with one being in my son's room for protection while my wife carries out "Operation Save the Midget" as we call it. End result: My family is safe. How that happens and what comes after it I don't care. If my family is safe that is all that matters.

My job is to protect my family (including inlaws) and my wife's job is to protect our son (aka the Midget).
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have a three year old son so my firearms stay locked up in the safe. I can't and wouldn't leave guns around the house in drawers, under the couch, behind picture frames etc. Only what I carry on me. At night my pistol and 870 are put up high in my closet which are only a few feet away from my bed. I feel that we have a pretty good security system which would give advance warning.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I have my primary carry gun with me at all times, with the rest locked up. I like to switch which gun I carry from time to time, so they will just swap places... one out of the safe, one into the safe. When I sleep, it is under my pillow. When I'm up, it is on my hip, and when I go out, it always comes along. The only time I don't have my gun on me is when I have to go into a no-carry zone, like my children's schools or the hospital, and then it is locked up in my vehicle.

I have to many young kids in my house to leave any firearm out, even if I think it is well hidden.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

My kids are all out of the house and no kids ever come over. I do lock my guns up in the safe when I leave the house for the day. Steve48

I'd almost wonder about trying to paint one of my cheapies all white and mount it to the white wall in the living room... Would anyone notice at first glance? Hidden in plain site?

If it's not on my waist or within my reach, it's locked up in my Gun-Vault. Same with my wife. As long as I have my handgun within reach at all times, I have an avenue that enables me to fight my way to my shotgun. In my home right now with my young boys, that's the safest way to go.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Administrator
    Your first two sentances cracked me up... but I know what you meant.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    If it's not on my waist or within my reach, it's locked up in my Gun-Vault. Same with my wife.
    Yeah, me too. Locking the woman up in the gun vault is the only way to keep her out of trouble when I'm not around

If she's not 'on your waist' you put her in the safe?

What an interesting relationship you have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links