Disappointed in Gander Mountain

This is a discussion on Disappointed in Gander Mountain within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After all the great deals I hear about folks getting at GM I decided to drive an hour+ yesterday to check it out. They did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Gander Mountain

Disappointed in Gander Mountain

After all the great deals I hear about folks getting at GM I decided to drive an hour+ yesterday to check it out. They did have a impressive Long gun and Shotgun selection, but what's up with their handguns? They only had two Sigs, in the entire section, Tons of Glocks, most were police trade in being sold as used. A reg Glock 23 Used was being sold for $589, I was shocked. They did have a decent selection of S&W revolvers. Their gun cleaning section was pitiful, there is a better selection at Walmart, which is where I went afterwards. Overalll very disappointed and will not make the drive again. I would rather drive the 2+ hours and go to a Bass Pro Shop. Just venting.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

2. Remove Ads

You need to drive 12 hours to Kittery Trading post in Maine. Like 900 used handguns.

Thumbs down Gander Mountain

I went to the new Gander Mountain in Longwood Florida and was very disappointed. They had a good supply of shotguns and accessorys but had very little hand gun accessorys and their prices were a bit high. I expected a lot more from a store this size.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I don't like Gander Mt. either. Thankfully, I have a Cabelas just 25 minutes from my house and BassPro is opening a new store tomorrow that's even closer at just 10 minutes away.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I just recently bought my G30, and was looking at them at our local Gander Mt. before I picked it up. They were asking $619 which I thought was a little high. I called around town before I dropped that much at their store. They were the highest by far than every other gun store in the Dayton area. I drove to the other side of town, about 30 miles or so, and picked it up for $529. I'm sure GM sells at these prices. Are most people to busy or rich not to call around for a better deal? I saved $90 which I turned around and bought a bunch of ammo with. Their used selection was small, and those prices were as high as a new gun elsewhere. I won't be buying much of anything at GM after seeing how much they mark up their prices. CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY......

I felt a little disappointed at Gander in Wichita. There are a lot of other gun stores that have more. I don't buy in Wichita since they have a 7 day waiting period. Steve48

Assistant Administrator
    The new Gander that opened in this area last year seemed quite good overall - not stellar but not too disappointing.

The total guns inventory was impressive and the shooting peripherals like cleaning and ammo etc were well served. They had a good selection of used handguns and prices seemed acceptable. On my second ''exploration'' - not meaning to buy - I came out with a used T/C Contender barrel - at a price I could live with.

They are not my favorite stopping off place but I think perhaps branches can vary for good or bad, due to input from the branch managers etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've been to the Longwood, FL one and I don't agree that it was disappointing. Sure, some of their prices were high, but looking around some of their prices were pretty good (.38 special megapack for about what Walmart would charge per round). I've bought a Ruger 10/22 there for 10-20% less than the local stores wanted for one, and also got a good deal on a NEF Pardner Pump 12ga on clearance. BIG selection of all kinds of pistols, shotguns, and rifles I thought. I wouldn't go in there to buy just anything, b/c prices on some items were higher than I know I could get at other places. but, good prices on some things can be had if you know what a fair price is. I do like the big selection of all the supplies and stuff too.

I've been to a couple in my area. I don't know if they have different classifications for thier stores ("normal" and / or "super") but two of them were more of a hunting apperal store while the third one was somewhat impressive. If I had to guess it might have to do with the location. The first two I visited were much closer to Pittsburgh while the third was much more rual (South of Pittsburgh in Washington county). So it could be a suburban / rural issue. I'd have to say 3x to 4x the number of firearms in the rural plus ATV's much more camping gear etc...
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

p85
    NC, which GM did you go to? I have been to the one in Greensboro a few times but am disappointed with their prices.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    After all the great deals I hear about folks getting at GM I decided to drive an hour+ yesterday to check it out. They did have a impressive Long gun and Shotgun selection, but what's up with their handguns? They only had two Sigs, in the entire section, Tons of Glocks, most were police trade in being sold as used. A reg Glock 23 Used was being sold for $589, I was shocked. They did have a decent selection of S&W revolvers. Their gun cleaning section was pitiful, there is a better selection at Walmart, which is where I went afterwards. Overalll very disappointed and will not make the drive again. I would rather drive the 2+ hours and go to a Bass Pro Shop. Just venting.
    I've been to Gander "hill" several times in Milwaukee Wi and it was always a disappointment, always out of what I drove 1275 miles to get.

Quote Originally Posted by p85 View Post
    NC, which GM did you go to? I have been to the one in Greensboro a few times but am disappointed with their prices.

Thats the one I went to, right off 40, it's a long drive but I had a doctors appointment in Winston Salem, I prefer going another hour south to Bass Pro at Concord Mills by the race track.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

GM has lots of used guns but their reloading section is pitiful. I go to SW when I'm in Green Bay now.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Lead Moderator
    GM ok here, sometimes good deals on clearance gear for camping. I buy all my guns locally though, from the gun shop in town. GM's gun prices seem to be high here too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I Only Shop...

At three gun shops in Central Florida...Newberry, Brooksville, and Leesburg...

All treat me very well...

I stay away from the big stores...no personal treatment found in them!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links