I finally got to handle a Springfield XD

This is a discussion on I finally got to handle a Springfield XD within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the South Florida Fairgrounds Gun Show last weekend (actually brought the girlfriend! ) and finally got my hands on an XD to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

I went to the South Florida Fairgrounds Gun Show last weekend (actually brought the girlfriend!) and finally got my hands on an XD to see what they feel like.

I guess I got a good impression, generally. They seem well made and well designed.

I am not real sure about the grip safety. I don't go putting my trust 100% into any safety (as I should not), so that thing might as well not be there. It's not like I'd be willing to see what happens if I pulled the trigger on a live round without the grip safety being pressed. Anyone tried this? (I'm not saying you'll get a bang; it's just I wouldn't rely on it.)

I have a question: Is that the extractor along the top of the slide? Do the spent casings eject over the top? That's a new one on me. I did not see anything that resembled an extractor on the side of the ejection port, like you have on a Glock. What's it like having the empties go over your head like that? Do they ever go low and hit ya in the eye??

As far as grip comfort goes, the ones I handled seemed to feel pretty good in my hand. The XD brought out the idea that my Glock does not quite fill the space of the web of my hand as well as some other guns. (I went around the gun show trying others to see how they compared. The M&P felt kinda good, too, though I don't care for the gun in general.) When I returned to Glocks, it felt like I had to really choke up and press my grip hard to make sure there was a tight fit of backstrap to web-of-hand.

One last note: I found ALL of the XDs to be what I consider too big and blocky for CCW! Even the subcompact I found seemed oversized, and too much for me to conceal. May be a great gun for open carry, or range fun, but CCW? I know that many people are loving their XDs for CCW, and that's great if it works for them. I'm glad they found what works. I just think that they're too bulky to work for me. I'd be willing to try it sometime, but I'm not about to buy one just to find out if I can pull it off.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The XD is quickly becoming a very popular handgun among civilians and LEOs alike. Your question about the extractor, it is located on the inside of the slide. If you pull back the slide, you can see it on the right. My XD45 doesn't throw the empties over my head, but rather a good 5-6 feet to my right. As far as the XD being too big and bulky for CCW, some people may find it that way, others may find it ideal for CCW. I can conceal my XD45 Service model with no problems, and I am 5'9" 160 lbs.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    XD is no more bulky than a great many other popular CCW guns.

Grip safety will not allow bang if not depressed. You can check that by trying to dryfire it. This is 100% safer than no grip safety. But it is still only as safe as the idiot behind the trigger. Just ask the DEA.
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 17th, 2007 at 11:34 PM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

The thing on the top is the loaded chamber indicator. The extractor in inside the breech area (like it should be ). Empties come out of the right hand side with a pretty nice arc so as to get them away from you.

I have not shot one as of yet, but the XD is on my list of those to get my mitts on and try out. A friend of mine has one and loves it. (Unfortunately our schedules never seem to coinside so getting together at the range is difficult.)

The XD will not fire with out the grip safety pressed- I've tried it.

As far as carrying concealed; I carry my XD40sc and XD9service without issue.
    Either you like it or you don't. Sounds like you don't.

Lead Moderator
    Well made guns, safeties are there for added safety, not to replace safe practices and handling.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I absolutely LOVE the XD's grip...as for the rest of the gun? Well...I'd rather have my Glocks!

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    As I have said before I carry my XD Tac 45 and cover with a t shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I absolutely LOVE the XD's grip...as for the rest of the gun? Well...I'd rather have my Glocks!
    I agree. The XD's feel better in the hand but they seem a little too bulky and I don't really care for the trigger re-set compared to the glocks.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Trigger is definitely different between the Glock and the XD. I have shot both a lot and can't really say I like one over the other. I like the XD because it is not a weapon of choice for mall ninjas and bang gangers.

j/k -
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 17th, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Smile XD45 TAC maybe not for everyone but:

Had a XD45 tac for 1 yr 1500 + mostly reloads. Fits my small hands well , ejects 5,6 ft to right like a good 1911 a1, feeds like crazy , {little polish work done on feed ramp of barrel and block help SWC lead handloads 95% relaible } 230 FMC 100%. We are in Illinois and probably will never know what CCW is.Good gun , can't compare with Glock ..never shot a Glock , but am sure they are fine weapon, Try to rent one and see . I like the safety on the XD , don't think it should be a problem if the weapon is held tightly enough. enjoy the journey , grasshopper, searching for the perfect weapon has been fun for many shooters . Gen 1 1

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I love my XD, and I don't have any problems carrying it concealed. My XD 45 sits in a Max-con V IWB holster, and I use a Sig-tac Vest for a cover garment. The XD has a great feel,, and a natural point- right where my finger would go. Believe it or not, my XD 45 shoots better than my 9mm Glock 19 and 26.

Love my xd9... Bank vault with a trigger. Wouldn't leave home without it !
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

Love my xd40sc. As far as the safety goes, it is really a very simple mechanical process. I have seen the cutaway of it and looked it over when I had it apart and there is nothing that can go wrong with it. If it's pressed down it engages. If it is not down, the trigger can't get released, with it down there is nothing to block the trigger release. Simple as that. It won't fail you... plus I've played with it some just for kicks :)

Jeffrey,

as has been said, the XD ejects to the right. The thing on the top is just a tactile loaded chamber indicator. The grip safety is not the be-all, end-all, but it does work. It gives me a bit more confidence when re-holstering. I make sure that it is not depressed just in case something snags the trigger. It has never happened to me (I am still a a little paranoid/cautious when holstering), but I like the additional safety. I've known that some Glock users have had AD/ND (depending on how you see it) when something snagged the trigger when reholstering. At any rate, to each his or her own. I like my XD.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links