Hunting Rifle Question

This is a discussion on Hunting Rifle Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 30-06 should work as well as several other calibers. shot placement is the most critical aspect once you hit a powerful enough caliber to get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle Question

Lead Moderator
    30-06 should work as well as several other calibers. shot placement is the most critical aspect once you hit a powerful enough caliber to get good penetration. Can't speak for grizz attacks in depth, but I feel shot placement is still gonna rule over what caliber, powder charge, primer brand you are shooting.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

I've hunted deer, elk, and bear with a 7mm Rem. Mag. for years and love the cartridge. That said, I also love the 30-06. It is hard to argue with a caliber that has been around for as long as this one, and is more popular than ever.

I do have to agree with some of the others when they say, "Carry a pistol, if you're worried about bear attacks." If a bear was that close to you, that it felt more inclined to charge rather than flee, you will want something you can shoot not only accurately, but quickly as well. When you realize this bear is charging and you are going to have to shoot it to stay alive, that's not the right time to be hoping you've practiced enough with your rifle. I guaruntee that unless you get extremely lucky, taking down a charging bear is going to take more than one shot with anything smaller than a bazooka... (Slight exageration, but whatever is big enough to bring down a charging bear with one shot EVERYTIME is way to big for hunting any deer. SO count on multiple shots.)

So unless you plan to hunt with a semi-auto, carry a good solid pistol on your belt too. .357 mag or higher.

As for you rifle, Savage makes a great, and very accurate, rifle at a low cost. A good friend of mine joined me in the deer woods this past year for his first time, and I went along while he bought his rifle. He picked up a Savage bolt action (Model 110 I think) in a 30-06, with a basic 3-9 simmons scope for under $500... with tax I think he was in the $490 range.

He had me shoot it quite a bit before he would fire it (long story), and I was very impressed with the quality and out-of-the-box accuracy. MOA right out of the box. Now, you're not going to win any beauty contests with a savage, but with the money you save, you could pick up a new pistol
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Savage also makes Stevens Mod 200 in many calibers, including .30-06. I have one in .243Win that shoots MOA or less. I know a guy who has one in .308 that does the same. They retail here for $259.
    These rifles are Savage 10/110 actions w/o the Accu-Trigger.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply. I've learned quite a bit from this thread. To be honest the concern about bears was, it would seem, due to ignorance. Remember, I've not done any hunting before now and I was concerned and wanted to be prepared. From what I'm reading here, the likelihood of a bear attack is remote as long as some common sense is used.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    (Slight exageration, but whatever is big enough to bring down a charging bear with one shot EVERYTIME is way to big for hunting any deer. SO count on multiple shots.)
    Excellent point!

As of this writing I'm leaning toward a 30.06 or a 7mm mag. But whatever I decide on you can be sure that I'll have a very powerful handgun strapped to my hip!

7mag 30/06 300 wmag all good choices and i have them all

I would say if you handload the 300 mag can be the most versatile can download easy to 30-06 and then load heavy for larger stuff

7mag would be my next choice

VIP Member
    I grew up in Western Colorado...my father used a Winchester Model 70 in .308 to keep the freezer well stocked with deer and elk...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

you need to shoot them all, alot boils down to personal preference.

for me, its 7mm mag, hands down...

ballistics are superior in all equivalent weights to that of a 06, or 308, and much flatter trajectory over 500 yards than that of the .300 any other magnum that i can think of offhand with better recoil allowing for faster followup shot.

the ONLY advantage to maybe, a 300 mag, would be heavier loads, allowing more slop with hunting the bear aforementioned. but i think the bear thing has been covered: key to stopping bear is killing it, key to killing it is overdose of lead. you wont get a decent hunting rifle that allows you put enough lead into charging bear in a short enough period. most magnums only hold 3+1, iirc. sure, it'll die, but its heart and brain might not realize it fast enough...

p85
    Several have offered their opinions as to the best weapon to use. I would suggest (if you can) trying out several before purchasing anything. You will find that the ones that you are not comfortable shooting (recoil, etc.) will spoil any future hunting trips. Ya gotta be happy with what you shoot. I also agree that when you jump up to the big bruins, most of the 30's are not big enough. I do however have a 30 that will do the job on the grizzly. Weatherby 30-378. 180 grain nostler, 4600ft-lb muzzle energy and 3400fps velocity. This one has more energy at 400 yds that the 30-06 starts with. I generally hunt with a remmington model 7400 30-06. It is much lighter than the weatherby and will handle most anything I care to hunt. Best of luck to you.

My favorite whitetail rifle is a .25-06. That is probably a bad idea for elk though, so as a one size fits all, I'd probably go with .270 or .30-06.

I'll second the idea of carrying a handgun to deal with bears.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    +1 for the .300 WM. That is a great caliber for elk. Maybe only a smidge on the heavy side (even the lightest loads) for whitetail. A good friend of mine put a hole literally the size of my fist through and through on a doe with his .300 WM with a 150-gr factory load from 200 yards. Definitely will stop a GB.
    Yes, I've shot two good-sized mule deer with a .300WM and they both fell instantly. The wounds were exactly as you say, massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    I really like the .338 win mag. It has a push, not a snap kick, you can carry 200 grain bullets for general hunting (and flat shooting to boot in that bullet weight) and you can go with the heavier bullets for Griz hunting if you so desire.

Try shooting one before you decide.....Oh, I really like the Ruger 77.

Spent three years in interior Alaska in the mid '60, used my old M/70 and shot a buch of Caribou and one bear. That '06 did a decisive job on every attempt I made on game, but the bear took3 rounds to down him.......and he covered some impressive ground in the process (not in my direction).

That said, should I ever return I would without question take my .338 BAR. Every caliber mentioned here will do the job you want to one degree or another but that .338 will prove itself superior simply because of its energy reserve. Check out the ballistic date and compare the FPE with ANY of the other ctgs mentioned here.....plus the thing will drive 250's withe same base trajectory that an '06 provides.....

If you intend hunting where there resides truly dangerous game you really ought to consider this cartridge...........And yeah, if really doesn't kick that bad....!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar

+1 for .338

I am a fan of the .338 win mag myself, and while a .30-06 is certainly capable of taking elk and larger game, it's kinda like watchin' color T.V. for the first time when you go up to the .338 win mag. you can load little 180 grainers for Deer, 250 grainers for Elk, and carry 275 grain tungsten solids for charging bear (or buffalo). Though like others have said, unless you're goin' out in the woods doused in fish oil, you're not gonna have problems with a bear.

For a newby, go with the 30-06. A well placed shot will drop the largest elk in its tracks, you can load it down to be useful on coyotes and anything in between. After all, if you're flinching with your 338 U.M. it does you no good. And, a fist sized hole in game you plan on eating is not necessarily a good thing.

As far as bears, a LARGE revolver is the only way, because if you're getting charged you won't have time to raise your rifle. They can cover ground so fast you won't believe it until you see it. It's extremely impressive! I personally don't worry about bears or wolves... it's those sneaky big kitty cats that scare me lol.

.308 or .30-06, either-or. They're balistically identical (depending on the loads/powder charge), the .308 is just a slightly shorter cartridge that was developed to help facilitate better semi/full auto designs for use with full power rifle cartridges. It is the direct replacement for .30-06.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use 7.62x54R, in the form of my Mosin Carbine. Ain't nothing .308 or .30-06 can do that '54R can't. And I'm a better shot (believe it or not) with the Mosin than my M1A.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to reply. I've learned as much about rifles as I have about bears in this thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links