Hunting Rifle Question

Hunting Rifle Question

This is a discussion on Hunting Rifle Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not a hunter, not that I have any problem with hunting, it's just that I've never gotten into it. Well, that may change soon ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle Question

Hunting Rifle Question

I'm not a hunter, not that I have any problem with hunting, it's just that I've never gotten into it. Well, that may change soon and I'll be looking for a rifle. I need a little advice as to what caliber will best meet my needs.

The rifle needs to be able to kill both deer and elk, be light enough to carry around all day and be able to stop a grizzly if necessary. I won't be hunting grizzly, but if I get charged I need to be able to stop it. Don't care if I kill it or not, just that I can stop it.

Suggestions??

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I like the versatility of the 7mm Rem. Magnum for deer and elk. There is a variety of loads to choose from in this caliber. I am fairly certain it will take down a grizzly, but I would make sure you have a good revolver on you too no matter what caliber of rifle you choose.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Assistant Administrator
    My favorite is an old but reliable Rem 760 Gamemaster, pump action .308. This rifle is very totable and there is a lot of choice for loads in this cal. It dates back IIRC to approx 1960's and was superceded by the 7600 - sometimes thought to be not quite as good as the earlier model. They are around on the used market.

Another choice perhaps - a Ruger 77 MkII in .270 - still enough caliber and again a fairly light rifle. And - don't rule out Savage for good value rifles too.

`
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

30/06 , 7mm good choices
    Personally I think the .308 might be a bit light on the larger game.
    If I was worried about Grizz, I think I'd jump up to a .300 Win Mag
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Can't hardly beat the .30-06 as a versatile all arounder. Mostly I have used a .308 in the lower 48 and it was fine....just about as versatile as the '06 too. I never really got into the belted magnums, though I shot quite a few of them when I lived in Alaska.
    In my Alaska teens, I had a beat up old 1903A3 Springfield. I had the barrel shortened to 18 inches and it was a little heavy but very handy in the brush. The 'ghost ring' sight was very quick. Loaded it with 220 SP mostly.
    Found an Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine .303 that I liked alot too.
    Guess I liked the 'Scout Rifle' Concept before I even heard Col. Cooper mention it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I was in the .308 / 30-06 camp right up to the STOP a griz part. If that is truely a concern for you where you hunt ( dammed fiew places in the usa if a minimum of common sense is used ) then you had better bump up to a .338 or .375 . The .30 cal and under simply wont reliably dump a bruin in charge with a frontal shot.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    +1 for the .300 WM. That is a great caliber for elk. Maybe only a smidge on the heavy side (even the lightest loads) for whitetail. A good friend of mine put a hole literally the size of my fist through and through on a doe with his .300 WM with a 150-gr factory load from 200 yards. Definitely will stop a GB.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

IMO as stated above a .308 or 06 is plenty of gun to take any animal on the north american continent . I would not hesitate to fill a bear tag with one , but then i am picking my time and angle on a shot . Bear attacks are pretty much a non issue overall unless you are hunting on kodiac island or some such in alaska . I shure wouldnt select a hunting rifle on its ability to stop a bear charge myself . But were that to be a real factor on selection I honestly dont think that a .30 will break down a chargeing bear reliably , Especialy assuming the bear is not gravely wonded by a previous shot. There is a heck of a lot of dense muscle and / or bone to get thro on a bear before you get to anything immediatly vital front on . Killing him does not do you much good if he expires on top of you with your head crushed in his jaws .

Edited to add:

Were i seriously considering stoping bear I do belive i would prefer a high cap 12 ga auto equipped with ghost ring sights and stoked with slugs to any rifle .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; February 17th, 2007 at 01:34 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Theres a reason the 30/06 is still around after all these years!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I really like the .338 win mag. It has a push, not a snap kick, you can carry 200 grain bullets for general hunting (and flat shooting to boot in that bullet weight) and you can go with the heavier bullets for Griz hunting if you so desire.

Try shooting one before you decide.....Oh, I really like the Ruger 77.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I won't be hunting grizzly, but if I get charged I need to be able to stop it. Don't care if I kill it or not, just that I can stop it.
    You'll take all that back the first time you see a griz close up. The more you shoot him the more unfriendly they get... till their dead.

Don't care if I kill it or not, just that I can stop it.
    In this sense all Bruin's are our home grown islamofacist's .. if they are not dead they are not stopped . There is no way honestly to shoot them just enough .. I will fill tags with a .30 , that does not mean everyone should or even can . I was raised hunting elk , deer , and antalope so big game is not a new thing to me . I do respectfully suggest tho that you quit worrying about bear first off its unlikely you will even see one , and second if you do he will only be intrested in your larder or your kill . ( i do have two bearskin rugs tacked up on on my walls too ) just so you know .

VIP Member
    Marlin lever 1895 in .444,or 45/70..perhaps

30-06! All-around round. A lot of different loads to choose from & there's a large amount of quality ammo manufacturers around. Next to the 30-30 WIN., the 30-06 SPFLD. has probably taken more animals than any other round out there. It's been around for at least 100 years and it's really a mainstay in the hunting world. Personally I've seen a broad range of animals harvested with the 30-06, everything from Deer, Pronghorn, Plainsgame & Elk. With the proper shot placement it is possible to take bigger animals as well.
    IMHO if I may suggest something else. Invest in a good quality rifle scope. I would personally use a Leupold or a Swarovski. Once you've got that done spend some time at the range and become farmiliar with your new hunting set-up. Good luck with your decision and Happy hunting!

you didn't say what kind of area you would consider hunting in

my dad live in CO and hunts dear and elk, in open country or from mountain to mountain he uses .270, 30-06 and in heavy timber or brush a 44 mag levergun...

I always liked th 30-06 as there are just so many loads you can make up for it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links