Home Invasions ~ What Say You????

This is a discussion on Home Invasions ~ What Say You???? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bob, it is disheartening to turn on the telie every AM and see channel 5 or 8 run a blurb about a home invasion conducted ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasions ~ What Say You????

Bob, it is disheartening to turn on the telie every AM and see channel 5 or 8 run a blurb about a home invasion conducted in the midnight hours here in Vegas. I agree, I carry even when I go to the mail box, but than again I have an active LVMPD SWAT, FBI Agent, and Metro Officer living on my block. They have seen me carry and have not said a word. When I got my truck the FBI agent came over and asked how I liked my truck and we got into a conversation about why I carry, I responded, that I not being clairvoyant am unable to determine the exact time and place I am going to be assaulted and as such I would rather be with and not need than...

HE now carries everywhere.

~A

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    An excellent point David. I frequently carry while in the house, but if it's not on me it is at hand. I don't even spend time in the garage with the garage door open without my 45 on me. I have told the wife when asked why and told her "wouldn't it be foolish to carry as often as I do only to be surprised in my own garage or yard without it." She agreed that made sense.

We have frequent home invasions throughout the Las Vegas Valley and I will not be caught in "condition white."
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Home invaders haven't invaded Montana (yet). During the summer tourist season, we hear of a motel room invasion every now & then.

I don't usually carry a gun on my person at home, but one is never very far away. As I write this, my LW Commander is lying next to my mouse pad.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    I carry all the time, even at home. Mowing the lawn, washing the car, whenever. Just a habit, and a good one at that. Do some people find that strange, maybe, but not being clairvoyant I don't know when I might need it.

-Scott-

Good thread-I usually have a .45 nearby my computer but I am a little uneasy about keeping my 12 guage pump loaded. The reason is the unloading part, it seems to easy to have Mr. Murphy show up and something go wrong. Am I overreacting??? I would rather have a 12guage double!!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I dont' worry too much about home invasions around here, and don't normally carry in my home though my guns are accessable. I do carry outside my house, even when I am mowing the lawn.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child might have peace."
    - Thomas Paine

Home invasions are common here. Typically occuring between 2 and 3am with someone kicking in the front door after the home has been cased prior to the invasion. The occupants are usually shot and killed while very little is stolen from the home.

VIP Member
    I do carry in my home.

Considering I'll never be sure if my recent burglary was "just a burglary" or a home invasion and I just happened to not be at home, I'm glad I do carry.

Have I introduced you to Shower Buddy™?

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Sorry about that, Betty.
    Our alarms and defense systems, in order....

Alarm, and first defenders. Quite viscious in defense, as I watched the brown one, (Sam), take on two fully grown black labs, and win....

First line, myself.

Second line, loving wife.

Uh oh rifles.

Admittedly a super long 91/30 is a lousy choice for home defense, unless they are sniping across the street, but just imagine the surprised look of ye old home invader spitting himself on my 62 year old bayonet.....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Cool Home Invasion Deterrence?

I don't actually carry on my hip in my house as a conscious act. However, if I come in from a dinner out with my wife I have been known to sit here at 'puter or fall asleep in Lazy-Boy in front of tube with Sig P245 in an IWB from Blade-Tech such is the COMFORT of that rig! I don't worry about home invasions here, of course the 110 pound Newfoundland pup is a pretty good deterrent and most of my neighbors know I'm fmr US Army infantry officer and fmr LEO. Also my next door neighbor was also a US Army captain (he was a rotor-head in Cobras) and he's one of the NRA reps for this area. We already agreed on how to handle an emergency like a riot or other calamity.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; February 26th, 2005 at 04:40 PM. Reason: attach pic
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Trying again with a pic.
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

No home invasions in our town of 5,000, but there have been several murders in our area (50 mi radius) within the past few years. Our town is where the true story of "Girls Don't Cry" took place. The 8 month pregnant woman who was recently killed & her baby stolen happened 30 miles from here.

Our 20 lb male Lhasa Apso will unhesitatingly attack any stranger besides giving an unmistakable alarm.

I have upped our home security arrangements in the past few months to a point where there's a loaded pistol in every room within easy reach. My beloved is aware/involved in our self defense plans. There's a pistol between the couch cushions in her favorite spot. When I'm home, the gun safe is open and the HD 870 sits about 4 ft from me as I type this. A flashlight is near every gun. I plan to carry my mouse gun in my pocket when I'm mowing the yard, etc outdoors.

I'm always aware of "field expedient" weapons around me...for instance, one of the stout shovel handles in the garage that's in the corner amongst a few rakes & such has been cut down to a little over 3 ft. It's a shame to let a shovel handle go to waste just because it cracked at one end! Windex, WD-40, or oven cleaner are other "multi purpose" household items.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Question You live in a combat zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie
    I have upped our home security arrangements in the past few months to a point where there's a loaded pistol in every room within easy reach. My beloved is aware/involved in our self defense plans. There's a pistol between the couch cushions in her favorite spot. When I'm home, the gun safe is open and the HD 870 sits about 4 ft from me as I type this. A flashlight is near every gun. I plan to carry my mouse gun in my pocket when I'm mowing the yard, etc outdoors.

I'm always aware of "field expedient" weapons around me...for instance, one of the stout shovel handles in the garage that's in the corner amongst a few rakes & such has been cut down to a little over 3 ft. It's a shame to let a shovel handle go to waste just because it cracked at one end! Windex, WD-40, or oven cleaner are other "multi purpose" household items.
    Geeeeze where do you live, Baghdad? Seriously are you fearing that you've been targeted by the Crips or the Bloods? Maybe a biker gang?

You forgot the rolled up newspaper bent in half just so it fills your hand comfortably, but your fingers wrap all the way around. At the crease there will be a number of small points and ridges, that's your striking surface. I've walked some very dangerous areas where I was not permitted to carry a firearm with nothing but a rolled up nespaper tucked casually beneath my arm. Once folded and in your firm grasp, it will be nearly impossible to dislodge. It will be as rigid as an ASP baton and utterly disposable, even bloodsoaked, which it is likely to be.

Roughly 13% of all aggravated assaults occur within the home. That number does include assaults by family members and those known to the occupant but I think it argues for being capable of responding with whatever violence of action is needed in the minimum amount of time, regardless of your location.

Here they're rare, but you get the occasional gang initiation or someone going after the rich isolated person or a meth deal gone bad.

I'm not horribly worried about it, but I do have some guns up in my office where I spend most of my waking hours. All the mags are loaded (no kids) and they're displayed in easy reach.

Wink Yes And Yes

There have been a couple, both within a few blocks, although we live out in the county. I have 3 GSP, so a sneak up will not happen as they can hear a pin drop the next county over. Still, I always have something handy, more often than not, a couple of somethings. :) Better safe than sorry. :)

An Armed Society Is A Polite Society

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links