Home Invasions ~ What Say You????

This is a discussion on Home Invasions ~ What Say You???? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, Exsoldier...here's the deal, There's very little ongoing crime in our town, but there have been 4 murders in the last few years within 30 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Invasions ~ What Say You????

OK, Exsoldier...here's the deal,

There's very little ongoing crime in our town, but there have been 4 murders in the last few years within 30 miles of here. One of the murders took place in a white supremacist cult 10 miles from here. (Cue the bango music.) So, 'ya just never know. Better to have a weapon close at hand when needed........I own 30 firearms, might as well put them to use.

Even though we live at the "upscale" end of town, there's a 24 unit apt complex about 300 ft from our house. (It got built long after all of the single family houses.) I think some of the units are low income subsidized. Sometimes things get a little rowdy in the parking lot. We moved here following my retirement from the Marines to look after my MIL next door (There are 4 houses on our dead-end block...she owns 3 of them). She's 81, and in great health, so we're stuck here for the forseeable future.

I have a long history as a s#%t magnet. Twice I've had fleeing women run straight to me screaming for help with their SO (Bubba) in hot pursuit. One of these times involved her running into our house. Fisticufs ensued until the cavalry arrived. I'm not in the mood anymore. Also, my wife & I caught 2 burglers in our garage 3 yrs ago...held them @ gunpoint til the law arrived. Now that we have an empty nest, I can position pistols wherever I want while I'm home. They get put in the safe whenever we both leave the house.

Besides, prior to my 26 yr stint in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I was a Boy Scout....Be Prepared!
    Last edited by Moondoggie; March 6th, 2005 at 10:38 PM.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up Moondoggie

I enjoyed reading that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QkShooter, i can't and i am not going to try to speak for other people, but in the South wher i have been born and raised, it is assumed alot of time that everyone is armed. i work in LE and support the 2nd very whole hearted. i do not see as many B&E's as i thought i would see. more car jackings and drug related robberies. i have a weapon on me home or away. anyone who thinks they are above a home invation, just needs to turn on CNN.

Administrator

Thumbs up Armed in TN

I think we would all probably be better off these days if everybody assumed that everyone else was armed.
    It might just be time to hearken back to the days of the Old West...since the "lawless" now seem to be overrunning the land.
    We might need to bring back the "polite society" of the great equalizer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Still waiting on my ccw, but I always keep a pistol close by in my home.

i live in a fairly safe college town in colorado, but i keep my glock 17 (147 gr hydra-shoks) on the nightstand just in case. When not home, it goes in the gun safe in the closet.

I live in a middle-class suburb of Pittsburgh; there is no violent crime to speak of, but I don't want to be the first victim. I carry or have a gun nearby whenever I'm at home.

Cool

I was born and raised in Detroit where even in the late 70ís home invasions were somewhat common. Since Iíve been in the rural woods now for 25+ years I still havenít forgotten my ďrootsĒ doors always locked, outbuildings locked. I have a CCW and open carry when Iím out and about on the homestead. In the home the mossy 12gauge is never far from hand. A dog is a plus too!
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Home invasions are on the rise, but still rare around here. The most recent one I recall happened down in Chester, where the owner of the property shot and killed the invader with a 12ga. I do carry at home or have my pistol and shotgun at hand.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I live in a college town outside of Nashville. When I listen to the police scanner I can hear at least 1-3 a night on a good night.

I do not "carry" in my home but I do have my gun with me. When I took the state gun permit course taught by a leutinent at the local PD he integrated a Home Defense course with it.

I live in a complex with a bunch of college student so the lease agreement says that we will not bring guns on the property. Three months after moving in a notice was placed on my door giving a description of the guy, and the vehicle who was invading apartments. They still dont expect me to have a gun. Neither do the theives, thats why we get broken into so much.

Next year I move in with my buddy who keeps my AR and other long guns in his safe. His house has been entered once while he was gone so far. Shotguns and ARs await the poor fellow who breaks in there while someone is home.
    Last edited by Waldo0506; May 24th, 2005 at 03:22 PM.

I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, other than the minor incidents which happen in all neighborhoods, the area is quit safe. I don't keep any guns lying around the house except in our bedroom.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Lead Moderator
    My 4 legged burglar alarm gives me enough warning, but I usually carry in the home too. Or have to next to me.

sm
    In another life...in which born, raised and remained in,for 35 years- I always had a gun either on person - for sure handy in the home - or both.

Used one before I was a teenager to "stop an immediate threat" when the brick-bats caused the front door to give way...had 3 younger sibs under my watch...

I have always been more concerned with entering / leaving premises - or answering the door. Really sucks to come in and find your alarm has been bypassed, and the BG is pointing a .357 at you when you enter...then his pard comes into the front room...

This was in another life, old habits still ingrained, new ones learned and keep learning. So I carry while at home ( or any other "premises" ) - as I have for long time...even when society was supposed to be "safer"...

I carry all the time, except when State Statutes dictate other-wise, like being as I am older returning student and Statues say I cannot CCW on Campus...I don't park on campus.

One never knows the where or when of next encounter- CRSam
    Use Enough Gun

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links