Home Invasions ~ What Say You????

This is a discussion on Home Invasions ~ What Say You???? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Chime in folks. Do you have a lot of home invasions in your City/State/Area? They are on the increase in and around Pittsburgh with another ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasions ~ What Say You????

Administrator

Chime in folks.
    Do you have a lot of home invasions in your City/State/Area?
    They are on the increase in and around Pittsburgh with another one just recently.
    I remember one in particular where an elderly woman was actually frightened to death. She was so scared that she had a fatal heart attack & died.

Do you carry INSIDE your home?

Man in hospital after home invasion
    A Penn Hills man shot in a home invasion yesterday morning was still believed to be at UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Oakland this morning.
    February 21, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 7.28

Police investigate alleged home invasion
    Wilkinsburg police are investigating an apparent home invasion on Reed Street this morning.
    February 11, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 6.91

Larimer teen critical after getting shot during home invasion
    Two men kicked in the rear door of a Larimer house this morning and shot a 16-year-old boy three times during a home invasion, police said.
    February 7, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 5.99
    One man is in custody and police are searching for a second intruder after a home invasion robbery in Larimer early Monday in which a 16-year-old boy was shot two times in the chest.
    February 8, 2005 · Richard Byrne Reilly · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 5.31

Charges not the first for man charged with breaking into woman's home
    An Indiana County man who pleaded guilty last year to trespassing in two university dormitories will stand trial on charges stemming from an incident in which authorities said he entered a home and tried to fondle an Indiana Borough woman.
    February 10, 2005 · Chris Foreman · Tribune-Review · Score: 4.66

Two gunmen invade home, take safe, car
    Two men wearing ski masks and brandishing an assault rifle and a handgun forced their way into a Wilkinsburg home early Friday.
    February 12, 2005 · Richard Byrne Reilly · Trib North · Score: 3.69

Elderly Bullskin couple shaken after violent home invasion
    Agnes ScottoDiMarco said Tuesday that she doubts she will feel the same love for her Fayette County home that she did before three men invaded the residence and robbed her and her husband.
    February 16, 2005 · Bob Stiles · Daily Courier · Score: 3.64

Woman injured in home invasion
    State police in Uniontown are seeking three men who entered a South Union Township residence and struck a woman on the head with a pistol.
    December 29, 2004 · The Tribune-Review · Tribune-Review · Score: 3.42

Elliott man stabbed in home
    An Elliott man was stabbed early this morning at his home.
    January 5, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 2.05

Police rescue elderly couple after two men allegedly invade their Ohio home
    Two men accused of invading a couple's home and forcing an elderly man to withdraw $10,000 from his bank were arrested after tellers noticed a bruise on the 73-year-old man's forehead and alerted police.
    January 2, 2005 · The Associated Press · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 1.81

Man charged in break-in, shooting
    A Glenwood man was charged with 22 criminal counts Saturday after police say he and another man broke into a McKees Rocks home, held the people inside hostage and shot one man in the abdomen.
    February 20, 2005 · Tribune Review · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 1.33

Men assaulted during robbery
    Two young men were beaten and robbed Friday night inside a Menallen Township, Fayette County home.

Woman, 71, testifies of repeat attacks
    A 71-year-old Braddock woman told an attacker he would have to kill her before she'd allow him to rape her again, she testified Wednesday.
    December 30, 2004 · Susan K. Schmeichel · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 1.25
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I dont hear a lot about home invasions not like drive by's but yes i carry or keepa gun close at hand whereever im at in the house.

There are some here in AZ..and yes....I carry inside my home, outside my home, and most all other places too..
    Brad B.

I live out in the boonies of Missouri....you have to be lost or live out here to get here. It is safe to assume everyone has guns and keeps at least one ready. We all have acerage and "farm equipment' it is said BGs make good fertilizer

DC Founder
    We have had a number of home invasions and car jackings here in the Phoenix area and while I don't carry while at home, mine is normally close. We have a big house and by the time someone could get to my study/office (where I spend most of my time) they would find me ready. God help them.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

I'm rethinking it.

I live outside of Pittsburgh "proper" & my little area is really quite safe...so far.
    The usual shoplifting, a few sporadic bank & convenience store robberies ~ in the recent past ~ a "repeat" purse snatcher that was knocking down older women.
    Also...the usual domestic stuff & auto break~ins (bored kids) but, not too many.
    My local police force (6 officers) is fantastic.
    The last "murder" here happened 50 years ago.
    Of course I always have a firearm "out" but, since I have a total home security system ~ I normally just put the perimeter alarm on & don't usually "carry" in house.
    Since I shoulder carry (and it's VERY comfy) if I'm going back out again later then I'll just leave it on.

We are south of LA(CA) about 40 miles. Everybody has guns it seems so you don't hear much about breakins. Irvine is a upscale liberal community. My guess is they have few guns on hand and few breakins. The home invasion industry belongs to Asians because of their keeping cash and gold at home, at least that is my understanding. They are really brutal and carried out by 3 to 5 members.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quiet midwestern town, but always at least two guns on person.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Red face

I live in a small town and there aren't any "home invasions" like there are in the Dallas and Ft.Worth area, but, I always have a gun near me at home....ya just never know. I don't think of it as paranoia, just prepared.

I'm new here so don't take this the wrong way. For those who feel they live in a "safe" area with little chance of a home invasion, do you actually feel that there is a substantially greater probability of being assaulted while outside your home? I'd say your odds are pretty close to the same so why wouldn't you carry at home? If someone breaks into your house knowing you are there, there is a higher probability they are willing to use violence, not less.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by David Blinder
    I'm new here so don't take this the wrong way. For those who feel they live in a "safe" area with little chance of a home invasion, do you actually feel that there is a substantially greater probability of being assaulted while outside your home? I'd say your odds are pretty close to the same so why wouldn't you carry at home? If someone breaks into your house knowing you are there, there is a higher probability they are willing to use violence, not less.
    An excellent point David. I frequently carry while in the house, but if it's not on me it is at hand. I don't even spend time in the garage with the garage door open without my 45 on me. I have told the wife when asked why and told her "wouldn't it be foolish to carry as often as I do only to be surprised in my own garage or yard without it." She agreed that made sense.

We have frequent home invasions throughout the Las Vegas Valley and I will not be caught in "condition white."
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator

Good Points David

"If someone breaks into your house knowing you are there, there is a higher probability they are willing to use violence, not less."
    That is VERY true.

The main reason that I don't usually "carry" inside my home is that my particular home is already decently "entry hardened" & alarmed against nasty bad guys & so I've "purchased" a certain amount of time for myself due to some careful security forethought and my own labor.
    I honestly feel that I can now "kick my shoes off" and relax a bit while I'm in my own home.
    That is my "reward" for my hard work. I don't want to get into much specific work that I've done on a public forum.
    I can get to a 12 gauge much quicker than anybody could ever get in here.
    I think that I'd suggest that anyone living in an easy entry home or apartment building keep a trusty firearm close by.

1952 - 2006
    In addition to whatever firearms you keep at hand or alarm systems you have, one of the best alert systems is a good dog, or two. I have two Labs, the male is 150lbs and doesn't like anyone around "HIS" house.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    In addition to whatever firearms you keep at hand or alarm systems you have, one of the best alert systems is a good dog, or two. I have two Labs, the male is 150lbs and doesn't like anyone around "HIS" house.
    Yup, I have a golden retriever along with good deabolts and an alarm....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

My neighborhood has A LOT of home invasions, burglaries, and crimes against persons. So when I'm at home the Glock is either on me or next to me when I'm watching TV. At night, the Glock is also next to me and a 12 gauge shotgun resides in a "custom" improvised rack bolted to the headboard.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links