Defensive Carry banner

Home Invasions ~ What Say You????

5K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  sm 
#1 ·
Chime in folks.
Do you have a lot of home invasions in your City/State/Area?
They are on the increase in and around Pittsburgh with another one just recently.
I remember one in particular where an elderly woman was actually frightened to death. She was so scared that she had a fatal heart attack & died.

Do you carry INSIDE your home?

Man in hospital after home invasion
A Penn Hills man shot in a home invasion yesterday morning was still believed to be at UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Oakland this morning.
February 21, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 7.28

Police investigate alleged home invasion
Wilkinsburg police are investigating an apparent home invasion on Reed Street this morning.
February 11, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 6.91

Larimer teen critical after getting shot during home invasion
Two men kicked in the rear door of a Larimer house this morning and shot a 16-year-old boy three times during a home invasion, police said.
February 7, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 5.99
One man is in custody and police are searching for a second intruder after a home invasion robbery in Larimer early Monday in which a 16-year-old boy was shot two times in the chest.
February 8, 2005 · Richard Byrne Reilly · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 5.31

Charges not the first for man charged with breaking into woman's home
An Indiana County man who pleaded guilty last year to trespassing in two university dormitories will stand trial on charges stemming from an incident in which authorities said he entered a home and tried to fondle an Indiana Borough woman.
February 10, 2005 · Chris Foreman · Tribune-Review · Score: 4.66

Two gunmen invade home, take safe, car
Two men wearing ski masks and brandishing an assault rifle and a handgun forced their way into a Wilkinsburg home early Friday.
February 12, 2005 · Richard Byrne Reilly · Trib North · Score: 3.69

Elderly Bullskin couple shaken after violent home invasion
Agnes ScottoDiMarco said Tuesday that she doubts she will feel the same love for her Fayette County home that she did before three men invaded the residence and robbed her and her husband.
February 16, 2005 · Bob Stiles · Daily Courier · Score: 3.64

Woman injured in home invasion
State police in Uniontown are seeking three men who entered a South Union Township residence and struck a woman on the head with a pistol.
December 29, 2004 · The Tribune-Review · Tribune-Review · Score: 3.42

Elliott man stabbed in home
An Elliott man was stabbed early this morning at his home.
January 5, 2005 · The Tribune-Review · Trib p.m. · Score: 2.05

Police rescue elderly couple after two men allegedly invade their Ohio home
Two men accused of invading a couple's home and forcing an elderly man to withdraw $10,000 from his bank were arrested after tellers noticed a bruise on the 73-year-old man's forehead and alerted police.
January 2, 2005 · The Associated Press · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 1.81

Man charged in break-in, shooting
A Glenwood man was charged with 22 criminal counts Saturday after police say he and another man broke into a McKees Rocks home, held the people inside hostage and shot one man in the abdomen.
February 20, 2005 · Tribune Review · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 1.33

Men assaulted during robbery
Two young men were beaten and robbed Friday night inside a Menallen Township, Fayette County home.

Woman, 71, testifies of repeat attacks
A 71-year-old Braddock woman told an attacker he would have to kill her before she'd allow him to rape her again, she testified Wednesday.
December 30, 2004 · Susan K. Schmeichel · Pittsburgh Tribune Review · Score: 1.25

See less See more
#4 ·
I live out in the boonies of Missouri....you have to be lost or live out here to get here. It is safe to assume everyone has guns and keeps at least one ready. We all have acerage and "farm equipment' it is said BGs make good fertilizer

#5 ·
We have had a number of home invasions and car jackings here in the Phoenix area and while I don't carry while at home, mine is normally close. We have a big house and by the time someone could get to my study/office (where I spend most of my time) they would find me ready. God help them. :wink:

#6 ·
I'm rethinking it.

I live outside of Pittsburgh "proper" & my little area is really quite safe...so far.
The usual shoplifting, a few sporadic bank & convenience store robberies ~ in the recent past ~ a "repeat" purse snatcher that was knocking down older women.
Also...the usual domestic stuff & auto break~ins (bored kids) but, not too many.
My local police force (6 officers) is fantastic.
The last "murder" here happened 50 years ago.
Of course I always have a firearm "out" but, since I have a total home security system ~ I normally just put the perimeter alarm on & don't usually "carry" in house.
Since I shoulder carry (and it's VERY comfy) :biggrin: if I'm going back out again later then I'll just leave it on.

#7 ·
We are south of LA(CA) about 40 miles. Everybody has guns it seems so you don't hear much about breakins. Irvine is a upscale liberal community. My guess is they have few guns on hand and few breakins. The home invasion industry belongs to Asians because of their keeping cash and gold at home, at least that is my understanding. They are really brutal and carried out by 3 to 5 members.

#10 ·
I'm new here so don't take this the wrong way. For those who feel they live in a "safe" area with little chance of a home invasion, do you actually feel that there is a substantially greater probability of being assaulted while outside your home? I'd say your odds are pretty close to the same so why wouldn't you carry at home? If someone breaks into your house knowing you are there, there is a higher probability they are willing to use violence, not less.

#11 ·
David Blinder said:
I'm new here so don't take this the wrong way. For those who feel they live in a "safe" area with little chance of a home invasion, do you actually feel that there is a substantially greater probability of being assaulted while outside your home? I'd say your odds are pretty close to the same so why wouldn't you carry at home? If someone breaks into your house knowing you are there, there is a higher probability they are willing to use violence, not less.
An excellent point David. I frequently carry while in the house, but if it's not on me it is at hand. I don't even spend time in the garage with the garage door open without my 45 on me. I have told the wife when asked why and told her "wouldn't it be foolish to carry as often as I do only to be surprised in my own garage or yard without it." She agreed that made sense.

We have frequent home invasions throughout the Las Vegas Valley and I will not be caught in "condition white."

#12 ·
Good Points David

"If someone breaks into your house knowing you are there, there is a higher probability they are willing to use violence, not less."
That is VERY true.

The main reason that I don't usually "carry" inside my home is that my particular home is already decently "entry hardened" & alarmed against nasty bad guys & so I've "purchased" a certain amount of time for myself due to some careful security forethought and my own labor.
I honestly feel that I can now "kick my shoes off" and relax a bit while I'm in my own home.
That is my "reward" for my hard work. I don't want to get into much specific work that I've done on a public forum.
I can get to a 12 gauge much quicker than anybody could ever get in here.
I think that I'd suggest that anyone living in an easy entry home or apartment building keep a trusty firearm close by.

#13 ·
In addition to whatever firearms you keep at hand or alarm systems you have, one of the best alert systems is a good dog, or two. I have two Labs, the male is 150lbs and doesn't like anyone around "HIS" house.

#14 ·
acparmed said:
In addition to whatever firearms you keep at hand or alarm systems you have, one of the best alert systems is a good dog, or two. I have two Labs, the male is 150lbs and doesn't like anyone around "HIS" house.
Yup, I have a golden retriever along with good deabolts and an alarm....

#16 ·
Bob, it is disheartening to turn on the telie every AM and see channel 5 or 8 run a blurb about a home invasion conducted in the midnight hours here in Vegas. I agree, I carry even when I go to the mail box, but than again I have an active LVMPD SWAT, FBI Agent, and Metro Officer living on my block. They have seen me carry and have not said a word. When I got my truck the FBI agent came over and asked how I liked my truck and we got into a conversation about why I carry, I responded, that I not being clairvoyant am unable to determine the exact time and place I am going to be assaulted and as such I would rather be with and not need than...

HE now carries everywhere.

~A

acparmed said:
An excellent point David. I frequently carry while in the house, but if it's not on me it is at hand. I don't even spend time in the garage with the garage door open without my 45 on me. I have told the wife when asked why and told her "wouldn't it be foolish to carry as often as I do only to be surprised in my own garage or yard without it." She agreed that made sense.

We have frequent home invasions throughout the Las Vegas Valley and I will not be caught in "condition white."

#17 ·
Home invaders haven't invaded Montana (yet). During the summer tourist season, we hear of a motel room invasion every now & then.

I don't usually carry a gun on my person at home, but one is never very far away. As I write this, my LW Commander is lying next to my mouse pad.

#18 ·
I carry all the time, even at home. Mowing the lawn, washing the car, whenever. Just a habit, and a good one at that. Do some people find that strange, maybe, but not being clairvoyant I don't know when I might need it. :wink:

-Scott-

#19 ·
Good thread-I usually have a .45 nearby my computer but I am a little uneasy about keeping my 12 guage pump loaded. The reason is the unloading part, it seems to easy to have Mr. Murphy show up and something go wrong. Am I overreacting??? I would rather have a 12guage double!!

#20 ·
I dont' worry too much about home invasions around here, and don't normally carry in my home though my guns are accessable. I do carry outside my house, even when I am mowing the lawn.

#22 ·
I do carry in my home.

Considering I'll never be sure if my recent burglary was "just a burglary" or a home invasion and I just happened to not be at home, I'm glad I do carry. :mad:

Have I introduced you to Shower Buddy™?

#23 ·
Sorry about that, Betty.
Our alarms and defense systems, in order....

Alarm, and first defenders. Quite viscious in defense, as I watched the brown one, (Sam), take on two fully grown black labs, and win....

First line, myself.

Second line, loving wife.

Uh oh rifles.

Admittedly a super long 91/30 is a lousy choice for home defense, unless they are sniping across the street, but just imagine the surprised look of ye old home invader spitting himself on my 62 year old bayonet.....

#24 · (Edited)
Home Invasion Deterrence?

I don't actually carry on my hip in my house as a conscious act. However, if I come in from a dinner out with my wife I have been known to sit here at 'puter or fall asleep in Lazy-Boy in front of tube with Sig P245 in an IWB from Blade-Tech such is the COMFORT of that rig! I don't worry about home invasions here, of course the 110 pound Newfoundland pup is a pretty good deterrent and most of my neighbors know I'm fmr US Army infantry officer and fmr LEO. Also my next door neighbor was also a US Army captain (he was a rotor-head in Cobras) and he's one of the NRA reps for this area. We already agreed on how to handle an emergency like a riot or other calamity.

#26 ·
No home invasions in our town of 5,000, but there have been several murders in our area (50 mi radius) within the past few years. Our town is where the true story of "Girls Don't Cry" took place. The 8 month pregnant woman who was recently killed & her baby stolen happened 30 miles from here.

Our 20 lb male Lhasa Apso will unhesitatingly attack any stranger besides giving an unmistakable alarm.

I have upped our home security arrangements in the past few months to a point where there's a loaded pistol in every room within easy reach. My beloved is aware/involved in our self defense plans. There's a pistol between the couch cushions in her favorite spot. When I'm home, the gun safe is open and the HD 870 sits about 4 ft from me as I type this. A flashlight is near every gun. I plan to carry my mouse gun in my pocket when I'm mowing the yard, etc outdoors.

I'm always aware of "field expedient" weapons around me...for instance, one of the stout shovel handles in the garage that's in the corner amongst a few rakes & such has been cut down to a little over 3 ft. It's a shame to let a shovel handle go to waste just because it cracked at one end! Windex, WD-40, or oven cleaner are other "multi purpose" household items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.