I think it's called "Bobtail"

This is a discussion on I think it's called "Bobtail" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey ya'll I am looking to get a 1911. Commander size 4.25 inch barrel. My question is this: Is the rounded but of the pistol ...

Thread: I think it's called "Bobtail"

Hey ya'll

I am looking to get a 1911.

Commander size 4.25 inch barrel.

My question is this: Is the rounded but of the pistol grip refered to as a "bobtail"?

Follow up question: Are there any makers offering this feature "standard" or is this a custom feature?

Thanks in advance
    MikeV

Ed Brown popularized the "Bobtail" design in the Kobra Carry and the Executive Carry. Dan Wesson (owned by CZ-USA) has a bobtail in their line up in the Commander Classic.

A bobtail rounds off the about the bottom third of the grip. Done for comfort in concealed carry. It keeps the butt of the gun from digging into your kidneys. Some people like it, some don't. I can't say either way as I have not had the opportunity to handle or shoot one in this configuration.

It fits very nicely and doesn't dig in like other commander length guns. Steve48

Dan Wesson is the only company making a "factory bobtail" (Ed Brown does too but I wouldn't consider their guns a "factory" gun).

You can buy the parts to convert any 1911 into a bobtail here http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...27824839780807

And I've seen gunsmiths advertise the labor to do the conversion for less than $100.

Here's one that does it for $150 (apparently parts included) http://www.hankgun.com/hg_spec_bobtail_a.htm

Get a Dan Wesson Custom Bobtail Commander you will NOT be disapointed. With a good IWB holster (I just got a Tucker Texas Heritage) it will simply disappear....

I had my Smith & Wessson Scandium Commander Bobtailed and LOVE it. I also have a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. If I had my druthers, all of my 1911's would be bobtailed. Not only doae the BT make it more comfortable to carry but it is much more comfortable in the hand. The curve of the BT just naturally nestles into the natural curve of my palm, (I don't have a square palm.) The standard butt digs into the heel of my palm with a slight degree of discomfort. Consequentially, I shoot it better. One of the best features of the BT is it's concealability. The rounded butt makes the pistol conceal the best of all three of my 1911 sizes, even better than the 3" Ultra Carry II. You can see mine at www.ontargetcgw.com , select "1911 Gallery" then "Smith & Wesson Bobtail."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Links