Limit on Magazine Capacity?

This is a discussion on Limit on Magazine Capacity? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here's my question. I'm looking to buy a Springfield M1A and get 20 round magazines ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here's my question.

I'm looking to buy a Springfield M1A and get 20 round magazines for it. Do some states limit rifle magazine capacity for deer hunting? I'll be hunting in Minnesota and North Dakota. I've looked at some websites and couldn't find conclusive information, will have to call them. I figure it'll make for an interesting discussion here.

Thank you.

PS: No, I don't intend to shoot twenty rounds in a row at a deer.

I'm not famaliar with those 2 particular states, but I'm pretty sure Most states have a limited magazine requirements.
    Check with each states Div. of Wildlife.
    Of course you could just buy a 5 round magazine, I suppose.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

I can only speak to Michigan that does limit the number of rounds. I just put a new AR15 on layaway, but if I'm going to take it after some yotes or varmints, here I can only have a total of six rounds in the gun between chamber and mag. Check the DNR websites for each of the states you asked about, and I'm sure you'll find the answer.
    good hunting!
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Oregon

From Oregon's 2007 Big Game Regulations guide (p34):
    CENTERFIRE FIREARM
    • Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
    • Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).
    • Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.
    • Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Most states do limit capacity. Alot of guys will block hi cap mags. Usually a bolt thru the floorplate works.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Every state that I'm aware of limits magazine capacity for hunting purposes. Some do not allow any rifles, let alone semi-automatic rifles, for deer hunting. You need to study and understand that laws in the state where you intend to hunt!

In Missouri its 10 rounds. In some states I believe it's 5. You also need to consider that some states don't allow hunting with semi-autos period.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Every state that I'm aware of limits magazine capacity for hunting purposes.
    Wisconsin only restricts magazine capacity for migratory game birds in line with the Federal law. Deer and other hunting is no limit.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Wisconsin only restricts magazine capacity for migratory game birds in line with the Federal law. Deer and other hunting is no limit.
    Same with Texas.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Judging from some of the horrible shooting I hear on opening day in Kentucky we don't limit mag capacity. I've literally heard people shoot 10 times in a row.

I use a single shot, so I can't really help you.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    In Georgia I believe it is 5.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Every state that I'm aware of limits magazine capacity for hunting purposes.
    Not on rifles.

Idaho won't let me use a machine gun, but I can use my registered SBR with a suppressor and 20 round magazine with no minimum caliber required, but the hounds of hell will be called on me if I dare to use an illuminated reticle.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    In Missouri its 10 rounds. In some states I believe it's 5. You also need to consider that some states don't allow hunting with semi-autos period.
    I know that semi-autos are allowed in North Dakota and Minnesota and I've carried one. I've never hunted in a shotgun zone, but I have carried a short-barrel, rifled semi-automatic 12 guage with a pistol grip that held 3+1 rounds. I enjoyed that. I never got to fire it, but it was light and it pointed nice.

Whoever said they use a single shot when they go hunting, good for you.

I don't feel like restricting myself because to me, hunting is unfair for the animals whether you use a bow or a helicopter. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a single-shot because I have so little experience (although the two I shot were in the 1st shot). Moreover, 90% of the fun in hunting for me is the enjoyment of the firearms technology I'm carrying.

I've looked on the North Dakota Game and Fish Department website and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Website and it doesn't appear that they have regulations. However, I will be absolutely sure before I go out with a mag that's over 5 rounds. Being restricted to 5 round magazines while hunting wouldn't discourage me from buying an M1A either, as long as I can have 10 or 20 round mags in it at the house and at the range.

At this point in my life, I don't feel like making a few long distance calls to confirm the legality of the high-cap mags, and I figured this would be an interesting topic.

VIP Member
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp View Post
    Not on rifles.

Idaho won't let me use a machine gun, but I can use my registered SBR with a suppressor and 20 round magazine with no minimum caliber required, but the hounds of hell will be called on me if I dare to use an illuminated reticle.
    I get extremely angry about gun control when it's about self-defense and the principle of individual rights, but when it's about hunting, I'm fine with whatever regulations the state governments set. For example, if you're hunting in Minnesota, you need to have your gun in a closed case when you're in your vehicle. Sure, it's annoying, and my grandfather got a $75 fine from a game warden for not having the last 3 inches of his case zipped up, but it's to stop road hunting, so I'm okay with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links