The Endless Day at the "Range" (Pics)

This is a discussion on The Endless Day at the "Range" (Pics) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I woke up this morning and decided that after class, only one thing needed to happen - lots of shooting at the local pits while ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Endless Day at the "Range" (Pics)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

The Endless Day at the "Range" (Pics)

I woke up this morning and decided that after class, only one thing needed to happen - lots of shooting at the local pits while the weather was warm. So I called-up my buddy and fellow Gunsite Grad, Travis, to inquire about his interest. He agreed with my idea and he headed over at about noon. We loaded my new home-built targets (Find the thread HERE and read dr_cmg's post #9) into the back of his car, along with about 250 rounds of .223, 500 rounds of .40S&W, 100 rounds of 7.62x39, and another 100 or so of .45ACP. The weapons: My Yugo SKS, the Bushmaster AR, my HK USP .40, his brand new Sig 229, and Sig 220.

We trucked north to Paulden, AZ, for a quick visit to Gunsite's proshop. My buddy needed a holster and I wanted to ask some AR questions to an instructor and I ended-up talking to Ed Head... Gunsite's Operation's Manager. I quickly explained to him that I had just purchased an AR and he happily sat me down for a few minutes with it and explained a few items for cleaning, what to watch for, and other small tidbits and trivia. He had no idea who I was (just a satisfied customer!!!) and could have been some random straggler for all he knew. They are just that friendly. They will never stop amazing me...

Anyhow we then drove a few miles north and parked our happy selves 200 yards off the road in a pit and began set-up.

Here is the PVC pipe targets that we built. They stand a little taller than we like so we will have to cut them down, but today was our trial run. The targets currently stand at about 6'5. We will prolly cut about 5" off each post. The targets worked extremely well for what they were designed, though.

Looks like I have a problem with anticipating the kick. Oh well. This was may target after some hammer drills and triples done from 7 yards. As you can see, I actually drove out to Gunsite to pick up the targets they use - which I am completely sold on. I will shoot on these exclusively as long as they make them because of their design. I'll go into the "why" of that more later, if you all would like.

We did quite a few drills before I finally broke down and decided to put my AR through its paces. We shot around 90 rounds through it over the course of the next 45 minutes. We just took our time attempting to plink with a rifle that had yet to be sighted-in. I must say that despite that fact, the rifle was an absolute joy to shoot! The gun does not rattle at all, it functions perfectly, and I learned a LOT about what I wanted out of that rifle. If that rifle hadn't come in "I-Mean-Business Black," it would be painted that way. But alas we gave the rifle a break until we could get it sighted-in.

My buddy Travis just bought a factory remanufactured Sig P229 in .40S&W (I don't know if they come in any other caliber - sorry). It has a slide unlike anything I have ever seen before... It is a flat - not glossy - gunmetal grey construction. It looks almost flaked. It is simply gorgeous. You can kind-of see it here:

The detail on the slide is difficult to make out and the only other picture I have of it... the sun reflects off it horribly on the sides and prevents photos. Oddly enough, though, it doesn't reflect like that on the eye and it never interferes with the shooter's eyes. And believe me - we tried to make that happen. Oh yeah, and the gun is an absolute treat to shoot. I thought it was new when he handed it to me.

End of Day Report:
    We spent the rest of the afternoon either sighting-in the Bushmaster or drilling. The SKS didn't get much of a leg-stretch but I think she deserves it. She ate about 30 rounds. I did however put 250 rounds through the AR this afternoon without a single problem. I had my first FTF with a factory 10-round mag in my HK USP. That was about 15,000 rounds. I'm worried. We shot ALL of the .40 and .45, too. Both of us are sunburned and very pleased. We were out there for 7 hours. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Its always a good day on the range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Looks like a good day to me.

Sounds like fun! I feel sorry for those poor TV sets in the background, though.

VIP Member
    Sounds good. Thanks for "sharing" your day.

The P229 also comes in 9mm and 357 SIG.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sounds fun!!! I love shooting long distances. Steve48

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a great day to me! Boy, seeing that Gunsite target brough back some good memories.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    What an awesome day!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Another good day shot all to hell

Oh.. and good OpSec. I"m a firm believer in it myself.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Yeah. It was amazing. We're planning another one this weekend with a group and a local car club (they're big shooters, too).
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

As you can see, I actually drove out to Gunsite to pick up the targets they use - which I am completely sold on. I will shoot on these exclusively as long as they make them because of their design. I'll go into the "why" of that more later, if you all would like.
    Is it because the lines dictating COM and head shot zones are practically indistinguishable due to the combination of faint/thin lines and the camouflage pattern thus effectively recreating the general shape of a BG who isn't wearing a T-shirt with an IDPA target silkscreened onto it?

*takes breath*

Lol Nooooo!!!!!!!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Lead Moderator
    Looks like lots of fun. Was nice here, too bad I am still sick , or would have been out shooting today.
    7 hours is a long time on the range, brings back some good memories.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

So why do you prefer these targets... if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like a productive trip indeed! Weather is great here, and it'd be perfect to hit the range, but like Rocky, I'm feelin' poorly. I hope my weapons understand that I don't mean to neglect them . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links