Are you buying extra full capacity mags?

This is a discussion on Are you buying extra full capacity mags? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Doc Holliday No, what I don't feel comfortable with is the government telling me that I can't own a magazine that holds ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: Are you buying extra full capacity mags?

  1. #16
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    No, what I don't feel comfortable with is the government telling me that I can't own a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.
    Now there folks is the crux of the matter
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array CLASS3NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bob from Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,510
    Personally, I'm sucking up all the hi caps i can get my hands on. Glock, Sig, HK, AR, AK mags, not to mention the S&W stuff as well.
    I'm not nervous you see, but am in a position to see and hear what the Customers are talking about. The feeling/talk is, wait til 08, and watch the prices go up on these type of items, or buy em now, and make a few bucks on what extra you have, salt the rest away for later.
    better to be prepared than to be in need
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    Guess you could say i am a 8 round 1911 mag is a high cap compared to 7 rounder

    but other wise no unless i buy a new pistol that uses them and i dont have soem all ready

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array CLASS3NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bob from Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    What's wrong guys? You don't feel comfortable with JUST 10 rounds?

    Do you guys own a 1911? How many rounds does IT hold?

    I'm a cop and I carry 10 rounders in my Glock 22 AND on my belt and I feel just fine about it. Like Bill Jordan said...

    "If you can't do the job in 6 rounds, what makes you think anymore is gonna help?"
    I hate to keep this going, and no disrespect, but why not just keep 6 rounds in the mag? why do you need 10 rounds? I'm pretty positive that you just might have a box or two of backup ammo in the trunk of the patrol car, for that "just in case" mode
    I want every atvantage I can get over the BG, "just in case"
    Most people carry one or two reloads. I was always trained to carry 3 spare mags, even if they're hi caps. remember, the BGs read the gun mags, and know exactly what you're carrying, and it's magazine capacity as well. I'd hate to run out of ammo before the Cavalry arrives.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

  6. #20
    Ex Member Array Glock 'em down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    687
    Another thing to remember is that YOU and ONLY YOU are responsible for EACH and EVERY round fired downrange!

    How can you keep count of 15 rounds fired from your gun? Hell...I would lose count at 3 or 4!

    And furthermore, if you FIRE all 15 rounds and only hit the BG 4 times...where are the other 11 rounds?

    ...just something to think about...

  7. #21
    Ex Member Array Glock 'em down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    why not just keep 6 rounds in the mag?
    Actually...I've only got 9 rounds in my mags.

    I guess it's that whole "weak spring" thing I always hear about.

    I'm telling you guys...you can't miss fast enough in a gunfight! It does absolutely no good to "spray and pray" in a civilized world. The first time you take out a little old lady or a kid with your 15 rounds of super destroyer 1200 fps projectiles, you're gonna wind up buying that little old lady a brand new Cadillac every year for the rest of her life...

    ...are you ready?

  8. #22
    Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Another thing to remember is that YOU and ONLY YOU are responsible for EACH and EVERY round fired downrange!

    How can you keep count of 15 rounds fired from your gun? Hell...I would lose count at 3 or 4!

    And furthermore, if you FIRE all 15 rounds and only hit the BG 4 times...where are the other 11 rounds?

    ...just something to think about...
    I understand that I must have a safe backstop before I commit to drawing and firing my weapon. If I have innocents behind the BG or BG's then I cannot commit to action.

    You make it sound like I will be laying down cover fire for the boys in Bagdad.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

  9. #23
    Ex Member Array Glock 'em down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    You make it sound like I will be laying down cover fire for the boys in Bagdad.
    Under stress - WHO KNOWS?

    You may fire one round, you may fire a dozen rounds? That's what I keep telling you guys!

    I'm not trying to be an and I'm not trying to be some kind of "know-it-all" cop! God knows there are plenty of THOSE guys out there.

    I'm no instructor and I'm no professional gunfighter! But I have done this job for a day or two (17+ years) and all I'm trying to do is bring everybody back down to earth for a minute and have you think about the whole "high capacity" thing for a minute.

    My instructor Paul Abel told me a story about his childhood once. He and his dad went quail hunting. He had a side-by-side double barrelled 20 guage and his dad had an over under 12 guage. A covey of birds flew up, Paul shot once - missed, shot again - killed a bird! His dad grabbed the shotgun out of his hands, said "C'mon...let's go to the house!" Gave Paul a single shot .410 and said "NOW! Go hunting!"

    The point I'm trying to make is that if you miss in a gunfight...you may not be so lucky as to hit only "air."

    ...are you ready?
    Last edited by Bud White; February 23rd, 2007 at 07:50 PM.

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array Blackeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,147
    I'm a confirmed member of the fewer, bigger bullets club. My carry pistol holds 8+1 of .45. Despite not being a personal fan of high-cap 9s, I don't think these criticisms of guns with big mags are really warranted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    How can you keep count of 15 rounds fired from your gun? Hell...I would lose count at 3 or 4!
    Honestly, I don't see the relevance of this. In a situation where I have to use deadly force, I'm not going to be counting rounds. I'll be shooting until the threat stops or the slide locks back. Any advantages of keeping count are pretty minor. It would be far better to spend my mental energy doing other things (ensuring I get good hits, using movement and cover effectively, keeping on the lookout for other threats, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    And furthermore, if you FIRE all 15 rounds and only hit the BG 4 times...where are the other 11 rounds?
    The same place the other six go if you fire eight times and hit the BG twice. Anytime we use deadly force, we need to be cognizant of what is behind the target in case we miss or overpenetrate, regardless of how many rounds we have in the magazine.

    Edited to add:
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I'm no instructor and I'm no professional gunfighter! But I have done this job for a day or two (17+ years) and all I'm trying to do is bring everybody back down to earth for a minute and have you think about the whole "high capacity" thing for a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    The point I'm trying to make is that if you miss in a gunfight...you may not be so lucky as to hit only "air."
    I fail to see the connection between large pistol magazines and hitting bystanders. Regardless of the weapon we are carrying, we have the responsibility to ensure that the only person we hit is the BG. If someone is slamming rounds downrange in the general vicinity of the target and endangering innocent life, that is a problem with the operator, not the weapon.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; February 21st, 2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Edited to add responses to Glock 'em down's later post.

  11. #25
    Ex Member Array Glock 'em down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    In a situation where I have to use deadly force, I'm not going to be counting rounds. I'll be shooting until the threat stops or the slide locks back. Any advantages of keeping count are pretty minor.
    Well, this goes back to our seperate and different methods of training. I was trained to NEVER let your slide lock back - ALWAYS keep one in the chamber. When the slide locks back, what does the majority of the shooters do? The same thing they do when a malfunction occurs...they stop and stare at their weapon! Furthermore, dropping the slide back into battery is just another move you as the shooter has to manipulate in order to return to the action.

    And as far as counting your rounds...Someday, you WILL have to testify as to how many rounds were fired from your weapon if you carry a firearm long enough.

    Live by the sword/Die by the sword!

  12. #26
    Ex Member Array Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,570
    Meanwhile Gentlemen!!!

    The thread was an inquiry as to who is purchasing extra full capacity mags.
    Not who has the biggest boots.
    Last edited by Pete; February 21st, 2007 at 10:54 PM.

  13. #27
    Ex Member Array Glock 'em down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    South Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I fail to see the connection between large pistol magazines and hitting bystanders. Regardless of the weapon we are carrying, we have the responsibility to ensure that the only person we hit is the BG. If someone is slamming rounds downrange in the general vicinity of the target and endangering innocent life, that is a problem with the operator, not the weapon.
    Statistics tell us that a shooter loses AT LEAST 25% of their accuracy under stress!

    When is the last time you went shooting and had a flier or two? Did ALL of your rounds hit in the center? If you fired 10 rounds and pulled 3 - that makes you a 70% shooter. Deduct 25% off of that for stress - suddenly you are a 50% shooter!

    That's half! So if you empty an 8 round mag...4 rounds are unaccounted for?

  14. #28
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,482
    Ahem .... guys, guys, guys .......... we all have thoughts on capacity ''in the field'' but indeed, as far as the thread goes it does just inquire who is going to pick up extra mags?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array Blackeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Well, this goes back to our seperate and different methods of training. I was trained to NEVER let your slide lock back - ALWAYS keep one in the chamber. When the slide locks back, what does the majority of the shooters do? The same thing they do when a malfunction occurs...they stop and stare at their weapon! Furthermore, dropping the slide back into battery is just another move you as the shooter has to manipulate in order to return to the action.
    The way I've been trained, a slide lock reload is faster. Anytime I'm reloading where I haven't run the gun dry, the mag goes into my pocket (any rounds left in there could come in handy later in the fight).

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    And as far as counting your rounds...Someday, you WILL have to testify as to how many rounds were fired from your weapon if you carry a firearm long enough.
    If I really want to know how many rounds I expended in a gunfight, I can always check to see how many I have left when it's over and do a little math. Heck, if I'm going to be testifying about it, there will be plenty of time for my lawyer to get some discovery and find out how many of the shell casings found at the scene can be matched to my pistol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    That's nearly half! So if you empty an 8 round mag...4 rounds are unaccounted for?
    Which is exactly why Rule 4 exists. If I am shooting at the BG and a missed round will hit an innocent by stander, I need to move to get a better angle. Having fewer bullets won't help.

  16. #30
    Member Array jiggz01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    63
    I just bought 2 more 17rd mags for my SIG P226. I'm also planning on picking up a TON more ammo for all my guns. I want to have at least 1000rds for each firearm I own by 2008.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Extra Mags vs Extra Capacity
    By jwalker497 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: June 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
  2. PPS Longer/Extra Capacity Mags?
    By McPatrickClan in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 4th, 2008, 12:02 AM
  3. New Mags and loading to capacity
    By airslot in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 27th, 2008, 01:08 AM
  4. Poll : Carry Weapon Capacity/Extra Magazine
    By robinsonre in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2006, 02:33 AM
  5. BUG or extra mags?
    By Shotgun Willie in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: October 5th, 2005, 12:13 AM