Are you buying extra full capacity mags?

This is a discussion on Are you buying extra full capacity mags? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I realize this was probably a thread back after the election last year, but the dust has settled a bit now and we are getting ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you buying extra full capacity mags?

I realize this was probably a thread back after the election last year, but the dust has settled a bit now and we are getting closer to the '08 elections when things might really change.

Are you buying extra full capacity magazines in anticipation of a ban of some description?
    A lot of online retailers were out of stock for common items like the 17 round 9mm Glock magazine in the weeks just after the last election. Things seem back to normal now, I placed an order with CDNN this week and got a quantity for my personal supply.

IMO it's a good time to get them, the panic has subsided and the next panic hasn't happened yet.

Let's keep this thread relatively free of political attacks, I don't agree with either sides politics and don't really want to hear your opinions on that, remember that political arguments close threads here.

Administrator
    Nope, I still have plenty from last time around, and I didnt have an issue with getting them during the ban.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Like six i dont forsee an issue for ME getting them if i need them . Howeaver i am stockpileing them a bit while they are " cheap " I remember last ban even for LE the price was inflated ( but nothing like it was for others ) . I am lending my limited budget to 10 and over mag cap firearms more than the mags tho . If no ban happens in the next 5 years , i am not out much if anything for stored guns . If it does happen well then cheap guns suddenly trade for desirable collecters examples . I honestly dont see a downside to some non financed buying right now .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    I pretty much have what I need but will not be surprised to see folks getting more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What's wrong guys? You don't feel comfortable with JUST 10 rounds?

Do you guys own a 1911? How many rounds does IT hold?

I'm a cop and I carry 10 rounders in my Glock 22 AND on my belt and I feel just fine about it. Like Bill Jordan said...

"If you can't do the job in 6 rounds, what makes you think anymore is gonna help?"

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    My carry weapons vary from a 15 round .40 caliber Taurus which does give me more than enough ammo on hand to a 5 round .38 special revolver, which may or may not depending on the threat.

I already have enough mags for most of my guns but I did need some more for my Glock 34, especially as I shoot it a LOT and I like taking my ammo to the range already in mags.

I think you are right though, I assume most self defense shootings consist of three or less shots fired.

My carry pistol's only an 8-shooter, so I'm not to worried about getting mags for it at the moment. I've got a fair stock of 30 rounders for my rifle, but I might buy more if I thought something was actually going to happen. At this point, though, I doubt a renewal of the AWB is going anywhere until after '08.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    My carry weapons vary from a 15 round .40 caliber Taurus which does give me more than enough ammo on hand to a 5 round .38 special revolver, which may or may not depending on the threat.

I already have enough mags for most of my guns but I did need some more for my Glock 34, especially as I shoot it a LOT and I like taking my ammo to the range already in mags.

I think you are right though, I assume most self defense shootings consist of three or less shots fired.
    Now then...with THAT being said, I will tell you that even though you say the little .38 with only 5 rounds may not be enough...carry extra ammo! Everybody should ANYWAY! Not so much for the extra rounds, but what if you have a malfunction, or even accidentally drop your mag from the weapon in IN THE DARK during a moment of stress?

A-HA! This brings us around to the issue of FLASHLIGHTS!

GET ONE! And make sure it's a GOOD one! Not just some cheap, flimsy keychain model you get a Wal-Mart for $1.79.

Get a SureFire...you'll thank me later!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    My carry pistol's only an 8-shooter, so I'm not to worried about getting mags for it at the moment. I've got a fair stock of 30 rounders for my rifle, but I might buy more if I thought something was actually going to happen. At this point, though, I doubt a renewal of the AWB is going anywhere until after '08.
    THIS post says it all! If you have access to a rifle - GET RID OF THAT DAMNED PISTOL AND USE THE RIFLE!

Your pistol is just a tool to get you out of harm's way long enough to get help OR get you to your rifle!

And as far as mag capacity goes there, I'd have a 100 round DRUM for my AR...if I had one...

Not yet, but I plan to. I'm good on my M&P, but I've only got one factory 15 rounder for my XD. The rest are all pre-ban Beretta clips.

And thank you for calling them FULL capacity clips. I hate when people call the flush fitting fifteen rounders a Hi-Cap clip. When I've got a 30 round hanging out of my XD, THAT is a high capacity clip!

I hope the AWB doesn't happen, but if it looks like will, stock up on a few AR-15's. They'll about double in value a year or so into the ban.

Glock'em has it right though. Your pistol is to fight your way to your rifle.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

You don't feel comfortable with JUST 10 rounds?
    Absolutely not.

"If you can't do the job in 6 rounds, what makes you think anymore is gonna help?"
    Not all jobs can be completed in six. And, in simple point of fact, most folks carry an extra magazine or two. From the Marines on down, more ammo is not a liability.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Absolutely not.

Not all jobs can be completed in six. And, in simple point of fact, most folks carry an extra magazine or two. From the Marines on down, more ammo is not a liability.
    What do you carry?

I Have The Needed Equipment...

Pistols, rifles (including AR), shotgun...and many thousands of rounds...many...and an adequate supply of various mags...

I have been purchasing 'extra' stuff for the last two years...

I support several pro-gun organizations with $$, and I have sent hundreds of email to legislators for various bills...

Don't forget to 'stock up' on needed supplies (that's another thread).

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The largest and only mag for my main pistol is an 8 rounder. However, my son's 18 round 9mm mag supply will be increased!
    A full size 9 with a low cap mag is just stupid!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Do you guys own a 1911? How many rounds does IT hold?

I'm a cop and I carry 10 rounders in my Glock 22 AND on my belt and I feel just fine about it. Like Bill Jordan said...

No, what I don't feel comfortable with is the government telling me that I can't own a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

As far as your quote about Bill Jordan, very few of us on here are in the same league when it comes to his gunfighting skills. To compare it would be like me trying to play one on one against another famous Jordan, you know Michael? And I am pretty proficient with a pistol! While he may have only needed six, I'll take as many as I can carry. We are in a different day and time.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; February 21st, 2007 at 11:18 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links