Ballistics on a .44mag lever gun (hunting antelope)

This is a discussion on Ballistics on a .44mag lever gun (hunting antelope) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .44 is not enough gun. I've got a pretty good book on the subject of selecting a cartridge and load to do the job, entitled: ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballistics on a .44mag lever gun (hunting antelope)

.44 is not enough gun.
    I've got a pretty good book on the subject of selecting a cartridge and load to do the job, entitled: "The Hunter's Guide To Ballistics," by Wayne van Zwoll. The first 75% of the book is devoted to discussion of loads and why one is preferable over another. The rest is a series of charts that identifies the speed, energy and trajectory of each load at 100, 200, 300 and 400yds. Useful book for determining what's going to work for you, given the shots you need to make.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kairo
    ...I don't know how well a .44mag would do for a long shot.
    Not well at all. I've got one. I would not even CONSIDER a shot beyond about 100 yards!

Look at the ballistic trajectory on a really hot .44mag round. Even just at 150 yards the drop is going to be measured in FEET, not inches! Just no f-in' way.

A .44 will work just fine if you limit the range at which you shoot. I have shot dozens at 50 yards or less, some as close as 15 feet.

You will have to hunt longer and harder, and be willing to get more than few cactus spines in your hide. You will miss out on a lot of shooting opportunities that would be easy with a more 'normal' rifle.

If you are paying for a non-resident license, travel costs, etc. then you would probably be better served with a .243, 270, or 30/06 with a medium power scope. Even then, you should rarely take a shot beyond 300 yard because of the wind.

Now, after you shoot your ‘goat’, care of the meat is a problem because the weather is typically very warm. We always took several milk jugs filled with water and frozen solid. Stuff a few of these into the body cavity, keep it out of the sun, and butcher it soon. If butchering has to wait ‘til later, you can remove the back straps, remove the forequarters, and remove hind quarters at the hip joint. Bag each quarter and the back straps in large plastic bags and they will fit in coolers. It won’t take much ice too keep it cold for days. Just make sure any water from melted ice drains out. The meat is tender and delicious, even from older animals, though younger is usually the best.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links