Defensive Carry banner

Help finding NY law about kids shooting handguns

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  darkvibe 
#1 ·
I hear that in 2006 the laws in NY state were revised to allow anyone between the ages of 14 and 21 to shoot a handgun in certain situations. They have to be with their parent/guardian and at a range or something like that. This was confirmed by the pistol office in Albany. I'd like to find the actual law to print out and ave a section number to quote where this is covered but can't find it.

Anyone know where to look? I'm stumped. Trying to help out my dad so they can get the youngsters at the range shooting in the steel plate tournaments. Need some actual law verbage to present to the club. It's against the rules for the kids to shoot now because in the past it was illegal.

#2 ·
Contact your local 4H office and see if they have a shooting sports representative. They'll be down with the laws in your state.

On a federal level it requires a permission slip to be on-hand (thanks, Bill Clinton) - officially even if the actual parent is with the child ;0

#3 ·
Morning darkvibe. Under New York State Firearms and Weapons Laws Penal Law Article 265.20 (a)(7-e) states:

Possession and use of a pistol or revolver, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by an association or organization described in paragraph 7-a of this subdivision for the purpose of loading and firing the same by a person at least fourteen years of age but under the age of twenty-one who has not previously convicted of a felony or serious offense, and who does not appear to be, a danger to himself or others; provided however, that such possession shall be of a pistol or revolver duly licensed to and shall be used under the immediate surpervision, guidance and instruction of, a person specified in paragraph seven of this subdivision.

You can find all the Laws of New York at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS[/url]

Just scroll down to to Penal and all the firearms laws are listed in that section. I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.