Getting shot at. (Question)

This is a discussion on Getting shot at. (Question) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Its the little " PLOP " sound that I dont like......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting shot at. (Question)

Senior Moderator
    Its the little "PLOP" sound that I dont like...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its the little "PLOP" sound that I dont like...

Yeah, that's a sound you can really feel. Luckily, I have never had that experience.

I was just thinking again.....All of the time that we spent in the butts on the range, I never heard or felt the buzz, only the crack sound when the bullet hit the target. Perhaps this was because it was passing high overhead????
    Last edited by sgtD; February 27th, 2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: to add.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

In my young life I have been shot, stabbed, cut, run into, run over and a street evangelist tried to save my corroded soul.
    Don't recall the sound of a passing round, other than a deer slug one time, it sounded like a freight train.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    9mm sounds like a yellow jacket ... A 45 is ... like a hornet.
    Tomato, tomahto. Aren't these the same? I'm confused.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Tomato, tomahto. Aren't these the same? I'm confused.
    no, not at all. A yellow jacket is more of a quick buzz, a hornet is slower beat, much lower in pitch.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Interesting stuff here... From a philosophical point of view. I'd think it would vary greatly on the shape, size, and speed of the projectile. I can assure you that you can hear a fastball speeding past your ear... but you can't hear a football passing you. Candy corn from a wrist rocket makes a distinct sound (and a large welt).

Personally, your descriptions are about as close as I ever care to come. Not something I'm looking to gain personal experience with!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You guys can go on with insects all you want . Everytime i have been downrange of anything it plainly spoke english while screaming " cover idiot, cover " . And for the record i have listened to that .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I am trying to remember something from way back ......... I used to shoot with some guys in a quarry and we all were interested in this subject.

Due to the generous numbers of large rocks near the end, which was in effect the berm, despite cliffs some 100' high ....... we all spent a short time down there with rocks for cover - well to the side I might add. We had a 2 way radio link and flags too for working within safe - cold range periods.

I do remember rifle bullets had a distinct sound but not as I recall much at all from handgun ammo. All I do remember was the sound of a bullet impacting the target.

I somehow think that a near miss pistol round will not register as much to hear at all - just what it hits if within audible range. Something like a .45 acp being so slow - the shot was heard and then a small delay until the target was hit - not much else. This was approx IIRC about 15 yards to one side from closest target.

Whether a round going by at a distance of inches makes sound - someone else would have to answer!
    That's pretty ballsy - hiding behind a rock while your friends shoot at the rock next to you. You must know your friends very well.

I hope I never have to find out what a bullet coming towards me sounds like, though my crazy half almost wants to try something like your quarry experiment.

Assistant Administrator
    That's pretty ballsy - hiding behind a rock while your friends shoot at the rock next to you.
    Bob - it sounds way braver than it was - I am VERY safety conscious, and we all were then. This was a small group of us - 4 or 5 - guys I would have always wanted on my team and trusted with my life and their guns.

I need a pic to show the actual layout and you'd see it was way safer than it sounds.

When I say large rock - I mean LARGE rock - something that gives very generous cover. Add to that the distance to targets was also well adequate, the berm itself in fact being some ways beyond those - meaning there that any splash back bullets were also no danger.

Add in the comm's aspect with flags and 2 way radios - there was no room for confusion between hot and cold range. It was a very interesting excercize.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    When I was in the Marines we went to a strange rifle range where one group of us did the shooting and the rest of us did the target loading.

We target loaders sat (well) underneath the targets (and the ground). This post has resurrected that memory, and IIRC, there was a distinct sound to the 5.56's going overhead.

But for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I do remember huddling back as far as I could, down and far away from those targets we stuck up in the air. Sometimes little holes would appear in the appear in the paper. Sent chills down my spine.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Assistant Administrator
    We target loaders sat (well) underneath the targets (and the ground).
    You have reminded me Randy of when I did just that - heck, had near forgot.

Now this was in UK and (don't laugh) it was designated ''butt marking'' LOL. The ''butts'' was down the target end in front of berm, and this was at Bisley Camp, in Surrey County.... 1960 thru 63.

Ammo was .303 stuff out of MkIV rifles - and at usually 200 yards or 500 yards ..... and all I recall is the very modest sound of impact on target and not much else to be honest.

These ''butts'' were down real low and under a sorta roof deal so protection was excellent. The target frames were for approx 6' x 6' targets.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I took my turn working in the target "pits" at a high-power rifle match here in Colorado...the guys shooting at my target were using an M1 Garand with a match grade .308 barrel from 600 yards...the sound that I remember was a sort of sizzling "snap" when the rounds went through the target board...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I was only interested in the ones that hit somebody then I would have to patch them up. I did not bother to listen to what they sounded like before they hit someone. Steve48

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If you truely want a sound , work the " target butts" when a .50 is uprange , your pit wont feel deep enough if your used to .30 and 5.56.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Only had the "pleasure" of being on the receiving end once in my life. Will never forget it, proly cause it was 20mm. That's not a typo, rather it was a range accident.

The thing that still sticks in my mind is the sound of the report is totally different when the projectile is coming toward you, very high pitched and quick. More like a snap than a bang. I always just chalked it up to the doppler effect, but I really don't know for sure. Definitely would make me shiver, and seek cover, if I heard that sound again.

Dave.
    Go beyond that which is required of you...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links