If you're in need of a good laugh, stop by your local mall's "gun store"

This is a discussion on If you're in need of a good laugh, stop by your local mall's "gun store" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought this was entertaining, and thought it might be good for a laugh from some of you guys. So, in visiting my gf last ...

Thread: If you're in need of a good laugh, stop by your local mall's "gun store"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

If you're in need of a good laugh, stop by your local mall's "gun store"

I thought this was entertaining, and thought it might be good for a laugh from some of you guys.

So, in visiting my gf last weekend, we had to go to the mall (for me, curiously, not her), and we happened to walk past a small shop that had about a dozen airsoft guns up on the wall. We had time to burn, and decided to go check them out, just for grins.

The guy behind the counter asked if I would like to see one, and I asked if he had any airsoft replicas of a USP Compact (like the one I had on my hip at the time, but I didn't tell him that part). He fumbled for a second, and then pulled a Sig P229 off the shelf, and said "Yes, of course, right here! 250fps, semi-auto, working slide, blah blah blah." I nodded politely as he pulled the plastic slide back, got it stuck on the rails, and then tried futiley to find the decocker when it finally ran forward. He finally just fired it (pointed right at the busy walkway outside ) and handed it to me.

After playing with it for a second (racked and decocked it successfully), and scanning the Beretta 92's, 1911's, and Glocks along the wall behind him in my own unsuccessful search for a USP, I handed it back to him, and turned my attention to the rifles.

He saw this, and pulled down the most pimped-out tacticooled AR I'd ever seen. Granted, the accessories were all cheap plastic, but the thing had 2 laser pointers (yes, 2), open-eye red dot sight, tac light, vertical forend, and slidey covers that liked to fall off of the small bits of unused rail space.

Taking his best Rambo pose, he "mowed down" a section of the next store from the hip, with the gun on full-auto, and spouted more stats about the red-dot sight. When he handed it to me, I was actually surprised that the weight of the gun was about right, and the charging handle was operable, pulling back the "bolt" and exposing the plastic gear set. "Oh yes, all metal!" he said, as I tapped the side of the reciever with my finger, hearing the tell-tale "tick tick" of plastic. I really wanted to pop the two pins holding the recievers together just to see the look on his face when the gun disintegrated in my hands, but I decided it would be better not to test the authenticity of the gun's disassembly process.

Next off the shelf was a decent looking AK with (gasp) a real wooden stock and a metal top cover. He pulled it down, and barrel-swept my and my girl in the process before trying his Rambo pose again. This time, though, the battery was dead, and the thing wouldn't fire. His solution was to pull down another AK from the rack, holding both of them, and firing the one that would work (to show me what it sounded like, he said).

I took the rifle, somehow glad to get it out of his hands, and proceeded to fiddle with the safety lever and sights, etc. One of the secret reasons I asked to see it was that I've never held or fired an AK before, and I wanted to get some rudimentary idea how the safety lever and magazine release worked. I then popped the top cover off (much to his surprise), but the thing wouldn't go back on when I tried to reassemble it. After a little inspection, I could see that the plastic tabs it sat on were bent and cracked, and handed it back to him. He fumbled with it for a few minutes before finally just setting it under the counter.

Lastly, he had a G36C hanging rather prominently that I couldn't resist. Unfortunately, it was even more cheaply made and more plactic-pimped than the AR had been. Beautiful rifle though (even in bastardized plastic form). I was waiting for him to "shoot" some more customers or something, but he just took it back and put it on the rack. I think by now he had realized I wasn't going to buy anything, and knew more about the guns on display than he did.

Overall, the visit was highly entertaining, simply as a lesson in what not to do with a firearm (even a fake one), and how little most people know about them.

I've been considering getting airsoft replicas of all my guns and setting up some informal FOF or one-man training with them, but when I do, they certainly will not be the pieces of trash that were on display at this shop.

2. Remove Ads

What would be fun would be to go into WalMart, fill up a cart with cold remedies, lithium batteries and starting fluid. Then go to the sporting goods dept. and tell the person there you want "Every box of 9mm you got".
    I haven't personally tried this, but I'm waiting for someone to let me know how it goes.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    What would be fun would be to go into WalMart, fill up a cart with cold remedies, lithium batteries and starting fluid. Then go to the sporting goods dept. and tell the person there you want "Every box of 9mm you got".
    I haven't personally tried this, but I'm waiting for someone to let me know how it goes.

I assume you are talking about sudafed, but what do lithium batteries and starter fluid have to do with it?

me
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    I assume you are talking about sudafed, but what do lithium batteries and starter fluid have to do with it?
    Meth combo
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    That's funny Bob. Great story. Sounds like the store should have been named "Dorks R Us".
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    It was a toy store, I would not have expected anything else.
    Unfortunatly, many gun stores are not much different.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You were most likely looking at very cheap "replica" weapons. If you truly are interested in getting very accurate and realistic replica weapons for FoF scenarios, toss me a PM and I'll hook you up with where to go and give you pointers on what to get in terms of makers and brands.

General rule of thumb is for long arms, look to spend about $300 for quality, handguns, around $120 or so.

And yes, a replica AK is more expensive than a real one.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    yes, they were very cheaply made (if not cheap outright. the pistols were about $80 and the rifles $150).

PM sent Nate. Thx.

These plastic guns look real enough. a fifteen year old took one to school and ended up getting killed by a swat officer. the kid painted the orange part of the barrel black. I guess it passed as a real one.

A note on that: There has been near endless debate and discussion in the airsoft community over whether or not it's prudent to paint over the blaze orange on the muzzle.

On the flip side of the issue, there have been cases where BGs have painted the muzzle of a real firearm blaze orange to make it look like a toy.

As such, officers are aware of this, and treat ANYTHING that looks like a weapon AS a weapon.

So, paint or not, you're a threat unless you immediately render yourself unarmed and follow all the LEOs orders closely and to a T.

I paint over/replace my flash hiders on my airsoft guns. Then again, I'm not going to be pointing them at a cop, either (aside from the ones who play with us).

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    All kidding aside, I have thought about buying a replica SIG so I could "practice" in my basement.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

A friend of mine has a sig p229 airsoft, and I played with it plenty before I had ever handled a real sig. The detail really is pretty darned good.

Links