carrying cannons

carrying cannons

This is a discussion on carrying cannons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own a Shield and think it is an awesome gun for what it is, and I will wear it appendix draw if I'm spending ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: carrying cannons

Distinguished Member Array subhuman's Avatar

carrying cannons

I own a Shield and think it is an awesome gun for what it is, and I will wear it appendix draw if I'm spending a day dealing with doctors offices, business offices and in close contact with crowds in dense metropolitan areas, but it is not my preferred carry gun, that job falls to my full size guns that I love to carry, Sig 1911, the Ruger SRs, Rossi .44spc , and before the SRs came along the G 22,23,19 crew. I carry them either concealed at 4 o'clock or open carry at 3, and even though they are full size pistols with a good holster and belt with them tucked in tight, they are invisible under a untucked t-shirt or button down shirt.
    Show your hand cannons a little love and get them out and carry them today
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas

VIP Member
    What's your definition of a "cannon"? .40+?

My EDC is usually a Shield 9, but there are a couple of .44's and .45's that see occasional carry.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

The closest thing I have to a hand cannon is my 5 inch Gp100. I don't have a good holster for it yet, even though I've had the gun for several years.

My main edc Sig 229 .40 or my sp101 I wouldn't consider cannons.

If I ever get me a .44 I'll have me a hand cannon. I'd love a SW 69 or Ruger Redhawk .
    Kilowatt3, GhostMaker and Bad Bob like this.

Well if its "40" + then two of my guns would fall into in. Me personally when I think of hand cannon I think 44mag and up.
    Kilowatt3, Bad Bob and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    ...If I ever get me a .44 I'll have me a hand cannon. I'd love a SW 69 or Ruger Redhawk .
    For a cannon-class handgun that's still (almost) pretty reasonable for carry, the M69 is hard to beat!
    Eric357 and rubberfrog like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

The 69 was the first .44 I held that felt like it fit my stubby hands.
    Bad Bob and ccw9mm like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Well if its "40" + then two of my guns would fall into in. Me personally when I think of hand cannon I think 44mag and up.
    That's why I was asking the OP how he wanted to define "cannon".

IMO, a .41 Mag, .44 Special, or .45 qualifies, but not everyone has the same cutoff point. Heck, we'll almost all agree that a .357 is no slouch, but that's an awfully small bullet to call a "cannon"!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    That's why I was asking the OP how he wanted to define "cannon".

IMO, a .41 Mag, .44 Special, or .45 qualifies, but not everyone has the same cutoff point. Heck, we'll almost all agree that a .357 is no slouch, but that's an awfully small bullet to call a "cannon"!
    I agree. We need a better definition. I know a couple fellas that carry Glock 20's with some very hot Double Tap and Underwood ammo that have quite a bit more velocity and energy than the 45 ACP.

When I think of a hand cannon, the 41 Magnum and up comes to mind...big, heavy bullets going pretty darn fast!
    Bad Bob, Eric357 and ccw9mm like this.

I still carry these. The Python, made in 1964, (I got it at the Store a while back for 180.00 YES..180.00 ..... because of the overall condition of the gun) was a re-blue and the previous owner didn't attend to it's needs, thus the terrible condition of it, is one of my shoot em carry em guns. Eventually I'll send it out and have it re-done. Just not enough time.
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

For me, it's got be a magnum larger than a 357. 45 acp is great, but it's no magnum.
    Rattlehead, Bad Bob and Patti like this.

In general, I would think the pistol would need to be large and a high powered round. Model 29 .44 mag (Dirty Harry) or Desert Eagle .50 AE (Bullet Tooth Tony) is where it starts in my mind. I don't think 1911s or standard size 10mm fit the bill.

Reminds me how the semi auto AR 15 is now called an assault rifle, when a full auto or select fire M16 / M4 fits the definition. Gun owners are getting Jedi mind tricked because they think a pocket gun is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    ...Show your hand cannons a little love and get them out and carry them today...
    Defining a standard size firearm as a cannon is a bias toward gun control definitions. Most likely, you are just more comfortable carrying your EDC, that does not make a 1911, Beretta 92, or G22 a cannon.

Sorry to go there, I just hate the idea of gun owners defining a standard size firearm as a cannon.
    NRA Member

My cannons won't fit in my pocket; so, no.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

I don't consider my 1911s in .45 ACP or 10mm hand-cannons. I don't consider my Glock G20 SF 10mm or FNH FNX-45 Tactical hand-cannons. I don't consider my revolvers in .357 magnum or .45 Colt hand-cannons. I consider all of them average mid-range calibers. I do consider my five .44 magnum revolvers and my .454 Casull revolver hand-cannons. The only one I conceal carry is the 4" S&W 29-2 in rural areas or in the woods . The others with barrels from 6 1/2" to 10 1/2" get open carried in rural areas, the woods, or for hunting.
    Thanis, GhostMaker and CalCarry like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

You tell me this after I've already slipped my LCP into my pocket

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    ...I know this might jump the shark a bit, but this is actually a 2a issue...
    Defining a standard size firearm as a cannon is a bias toward gun control definitions...

Oh, come on now!

The anti's define two guns as an "arsenal".
    100 rounds of .22 LR as a "stockpile", and a .223 as a "high-powered rifle".
    They defined Black Talons as "armor-piercing cop-killer hollow points".
    They think that banning the "shoulder thing that goes up" will "protect the children".
    They think that gun laws will stop a psycho from going on a rampage in the mall, and that if he DOES, the innocents are safer if they're unarmed.

Do you honestly believe that some chatter about gun slang on an Internet forum would (or could) have ANY effect on their neuroses? Think about it.
    tdave, Bad Bob, mkh and 2 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links