Looks like today is barrel drift test day...

This is a discussion on Looks like today is barrel drift test day... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm convinced my VooDoo Ultralight barrel does not open up groups as it heats up. But, it's a little harder to observe barrel drift. What ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MWAG
  • 1 Post By Tangle

Thread: Looks like today is barrel drift test day...

Looks like today is barrel drift test day...

I'm convinced my VooDoo Ultralight barrel does not open up groups as it heats up. But, it's a little harder to observe barrel drift. What I mean by barrel drift is the POI changing as the barrel heats up. From what I've seen it doesn't. However, I still want to confirm if it does or doesn't.

The way I'm planning to do this is to put up six 3 inch targets at 50 yards and slow fire three shots on each dot (18 shots). Then I'll do a 20 round mag dump. While that may not heat the barrel up as much as multiple mag dumps, it's plenty to tell me what I want to know. Since I rarely do mag dumps, this should heat the barrel more than it would normally experience.

Then I'll immediately slow fire another six targets just like the first set. If the barrel is drifting, it should show up on the second set of six dots.

I'll be heading to the range right after an early lunch and I'll try to get some results posted this evening.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I guess it's more dependent on cartridge volume and powder burn temp than on shot rate. I know my 1.25" barrels don't show any real drift at 1000yrds until they are to hot to touch. Then I will begin to notice a small and slow steady climbing of the shots with certain powders. This is off a BR front rest/rear bag shot from prone. It's also going to matter how much residual stress your barrel has. Should be a fun test for you. At least it will give you an idea of what to expect, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    I guess it's more dependent on cartridge volume and powder burn temp than on shot rate. I know my 1.25" barrels don't show any real drift at 1000yrds until they are to hot to touch. Then I will begin to notice a small and slow steady climbing of the shots with certain powders. This is off a BR front rest/rear bag shot from prone. It's also going to matter how much residual stress your barrel has. Should be a fun test for you. At least it will give you an idea of what to expect, hopefully.
    True, this barrel is only 0.55" from chamber to muzzle, except of course for the chamber area and the gas block area which is 0.625.

I'm only using shot rate to raise the barrel temperature.

Gonna be difficult to notice at 50yds IMO.
    rdunawaytx likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Is it free floated?
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MWAG View Post
    Gonna be difficult to notice at 50yds IMO.
    It's kind of a conundrum. I want to see how this specific setup behaves. Hence, instead of using a 24x scope, I'm using my 4x Accupoint. While this rifle has shot some terrific groups with this scope, it's clear to me that as the range gets longer, the sight picture gets less defined and I have a hard time separating drift from inconsistencies in sight picture.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Is it free floated?
    Yes, whatcha thinkin'?

Well, I tried: I went to the range but two heavy rainstorms, one right after the other, kinda messed up the plan.

Lead Moderator
    I think that if it is free floated then there shouldn't be much in the way of drift. If your barrel is fluted, then you may see a shift depending on how the flutes were machined in the barrel. Sometimes that puts more stress in the barrel, that's why you hardly ever see them on the bench-rest circuits.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think that if it is free floated then there shouldn't be much in the way of drift. If your barrel is fluted, then you may see a shift depending on how the flutes were machined in the barrel. Sometimes that puts more stress in the barrel, that's why you hardly ever see them on the bench-rest circuits.
    HotGuns - you just made my day!!!

It's not fluted, so that won't be an issue; sounds like I don't have to worry about drift! That is consistent with what I've observed, but I've just never tested for it. After what you said, it's probably not worth the effort.
    HotGuns likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links