Pocket Carry Primary

Pocket Carry Primary

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry Primary within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last night while reading through the Christian thread I got to thinking about something and posed the question their but this question stems from it. ...

me [OP]

Pocket Carry Primary

Last night while reading through the Christian thread I got to thinking about something and posed the question their but this question stems from it. I am not at a point I would purchasing either any time soon but would like some opinions.

What would be the advantage/disadvantages of carrying a J-frame 357 as a primary over carrying a Kahr PM40? I am aware of the cost differences and am wondering if the cost difference is worth it since I could buy a J-frame with laser sight for less than a Kahr.

Thanks
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 1st, 2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typos
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

There is nothing wrong with a J frame. I wouldn't feel under gunned at all carrying a snubbie .357
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Heck, I'm carring my j-frame .38spl today so yeh, I'd feel okay with something like a 640 in my front pocket. I do prefer steel guns when shooting magnums though so it'd be a bit weighty in the pocket. S&W 60, 640 or Ruger SP101 would be my preferred guns in that role.
    Jack

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Taurus 605 with 38+p's everyday and have never felt that i don't have enough gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

+1 on the 640.

My big concearn with semi-auto pocket guns is that lint might be a problem to gum up things. Don't have any evidence; just a feeling.

My 640 is my buddy. I don't notice it until I want to.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Howdy!

I agree with everyone that there's nothing wrong with a J-Frame revolver. However, I will take a slightly opposing view in that an auto is flatter, is usually more dirt resistant, carries more ammo and can be reloaded faster. (FWIW, I personally despise the .40, but that is a matter of personal preference.)
    I'd have no problem with a Kahr PM-9 carried in a pocket as a primary, so long as it was reliable (I tend to not trust small autos until I've run a lot of rounds thru them first - but if you've got a good one, they're great little carry guns).
    There is one potential problem with a revolver that is often overlooked - the cylinder pin. If a revolver is smacked hard enough on the cylinder, it can damage the cylinder pin to the point in which the operation of the firearm is questionable, or can even put it totally out of service. A couple of grains of sand or unburned powder under the ejector can also lock up a wheelgun totally. The idea that a revolver is more reliable than a good auto is, imho, more myth than fact with today's quality firearms.
    What it all boils down to is that you need to find out what works for you. If you like a J-Frame and shoot it well, then you'll tend to be more confident (and competent) with it than with something else. If you prefer autopistols, then the Kahrs can be a great defensive tool. Nothing is perfect, and training, tactics, keeping a cool head and a little bit of luck (good or bad) can have way more affect on the outcome of a defensive engagement than simply what gun you happen to be carrying. Get some GOOD training, experiment with different equipment until you find something that you are comfortable with and then practice, practice and then practice some more (in that order).
    As far as a carry method goes, a pocket holster has a lot of advantages - it is super fast IF you already have your hand on the grip of the firearm at the start of the draw. From that position, it is the fastest presentation from concealment that I can think of. However, that is also it's primary drawback - if you are not paying attention and have to draw "cold", it is painfully slow. It is also a difficult position to draw from when seated. Again, it is a series of trade-offs and you'll have to experiment (after getting some training) and see what works best for you. Good luck!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with them, but shoot one first. For years, I carried a 442 with +P .38's. Snappy recoil, I can imagine what it'ld be like with .357's.

I have to say that I felt undergunned when I carried it working some special assignments (Narcotics, vice, etc.), & that's why I bought a Glock 26. I don't have the 26 anymore, but I still have my 442.

I also have a Kahr PM9. I can pocket carry it just like my 442, & with the flush mag, it only carries 6+1 rounds. If I pocket carry it, I bring along a 7 rounder for a total of 14 rounds. However, when I carry the 442, I put 2 speedstrips in my strong-side back pocket for a total of 15 rounds.

It's really a matter of preference. Not to get into a which is better thing, but I recommend a revolver to people starting out carrying (Typically, a 5-shot snub nose). My Kahr's been 100% reliable, but I think that between a well maintained revolver & a the same thing in an auto, the revolver has the greatest chance of going bang. & if you happen to have a dud round, pull the trigger again for a fresh one.

You'll have a gun that you'll probably keep forever. You may end up getting rid of your new Kahr or whatever you get for the next "new thing", but you're not going to do that with a revolver, IMHO.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I hate shooting revolvers... but that's completely personal preference. For me, the auto is a no-brainer.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    You'll have a gun that you'll probably keep forever. You may end up getting rid of your new Kahr or whatever you get for the next "new thing", but you're not going to do that with a revolver, IMHO.
    I am looking for something (either way) that will be with me for a long time, my vocational choice (youth ministry, starting as soon as I graduate) is not the easiest to be able to carry in. I have the Kel-tec .380 but feel somewhat undergunned with that small of a round. I will be dealing with middle/ high school students quite a bit and want to be very sure that I wont be made. I am not sure how I would feel any time I am going to be with the students carrying IWB but think I would feel more comfortable with pocker carry.

Thanks for the imput
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

There's another point of the small gun (either jframe or small auto), relaods can be even easier by carrying two guns. If holster or carry methods are set up with a little care, two smaller guns can be toted as easy/easier than one with a reload. This second gun option is even more appealing for j frames. They can be sure enough monkeys to clear malfs or reload under pressure. Reloading a J frame can be really difficult due to its short stroke of ejector, short barrell, and small cylinder. It can be really difficult hanging on to one cramped behind cover and trying to work fired cases out and new rounds in. Take a revolver only class one time. Loads-o-fun. Speed strips are a viable option for reloads, but its easy to doodle up a reload with one. And a speed loader is as wide as a cylinder for whatever j you are carrying it for. So, for a little more occupied space, put a second j frame in the pocket or belt area where the speedloader was.
    For smallish autos (rorborogh {sp?}, keltec, naa, seacamp), one in each pocket is cake with the right holster/method. Mags to me at least are easier to stash extra of in pockets then speed strips, and only take up about as much space.
    Either way, j or auto, whichever works best for you. But, with todays technology in polymers and lightweight metals, two is as easy as one + a reload.
    IMHO.

Dan

What ever you choose go with a good pocket holster, one that does not collapse after drawing your firearm so you can one hand draw and reholster. The ones I use are the pocket grabbers by Highnoon holsters for both my S&W 642CT and my NAA .32naa, excellent holsters.

642 for winter and P3AT for summer. If I want bigger, I go with strong side carry. Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedMonkey View Post
    What ever you choose go with a good pocket holster, one that does not collapse after drawing your firearm so you can one hand draw and reholster. The ones I use are the pocket grabbers by Highnoon holsters for both my S&W 642CT and my NAA .32naa, excellent holsters.

A Fist pocket holster in kydex has worked well for either of my KelTec's. They have a thumb push to create EASY access to the weapon...without the holster...no collapse...easy reholstering...

Additionally, they fit flat against the thigh...very comfortable...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm not a fan of pocket carry. I either had to go with a caliber that I find to small (.32 or .380) or a j frame snubby. I found the snubbby too heavy and bulky (I admit I prefer an all steel snubby) I shoot a subcompact Glock much better that a snubby and the caliber and capacity are greater with about the same size. But I don't pocket carry the Glock either. The Kahr would work if it was reliable (mine wasn't) So I opt for Glock 26/27 IWB and fortunatly my mode of dressing allows for this.

My 642 always goes"boom" everytime I pull that trigger. I had auto's that sometimes jammed from all the fuzz in your pocket even with a pocket holster. Steve48

Links