A long, slow conversion

This is a discussion on A long, slow conversion within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been working with a guy for a little over a year in my shop. Nice guy in his young 50's whose getting married in a ...

Thread: A long, slow conversion

Thumbs up A long, slow conversion

Been working with a guy for a little over a year in my shop. Nice guy in his young 50's whose getting married in a few weeks after all these years of confirmed batcelorhood. Since we have a small business and work closely together he knows I'm a full time carrier. So we've had the conversations on the subject. He was never an anti, far from it! He's very pro 2nd but never really thought about CCW on a serious basis. He brought it up from time to time and I could see the wheels slowly turning but he always decided he was probably OK.

Well, between heroin making a big incursion into our area with attendant problems and thinking about having someone to protect he's started asking a lot of the right questions the last few months. He has a 12 for home defense but that's it. So I've loaned him some reading material and invited him to the range. Well yesterday he announces that he's made the decision that after the wedding he and the new bride want me to steer them to the best course I know of and would like to start joining me at the range now and then after they get their weapons. Should be two more responsible defenders in the fold soon. In many ways I'd rather see someone take a good long reasoning process in a decision of this magnitude than for someone to rush in without thinking over the realities of the responsibilities.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    In many ways I'd rather see someone take a good long reasoning process in a decision of this magnitude than for someone to rush in without thinking over the realities of the responsibilities
    I agree on that Eric certainly. Seems like he will be following the ideal route towards his goal and as many folks seem to find - having someone else to protect as well as oneself makes all the difference.

Good for him and good too he has you for advice etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I think that its a sad fact and a testimony of the way things are getting that many people that otherwise wouldn't carry are now seeing the need for it.

I would have thought that when I started teaching for state permit, that eventually my town of 25,000 would have eventually been saturated to the point that the classes became smaller and smaller.

Instead, they have become bigger, averaging around the low 40's in number for each class. Many are in their 50's and 60's age wise and they see a need to be able to defend themselves due to concerns about their personal safety.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    sounds good. even old timers can start carrying at 50 or so.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links