Domestic violence and gun ownership - Page 3

Domestic violence and gun ownership

This is a discussion on Domestic violence and gun ownership within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ms. k - The way I understand is that yes, the non-prohibited spouse could have it in the home, but the records had better be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Domestic violence and gun ownership

VIP Member
    ms. k - The way I understand is that yes, the non-prohibited spouse could have it in the home, but the records had better be clean that the prohibited partner never uses the weapon in such a way as to violate the letter of the Laut. Amend. Of course, this is free legal advice, and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

jeffkirchner - You've hit the nail right on the head. This law makes one class of misdemeanors as restrictive as felonies. A misdemeanor conviction of domestic violence can ABSOLUTELY prevent you from owning a gun, from owning ammunition, and even from using a gun as a police officer or member of the military. That's why most of us despise the Lautenberg Amendment...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

EDIT
    Last edited by Pete; March 6th, 2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Took that horse out of the race.

VIP Member
    No personal attacks folks.

If it persists this thread will be closed.

Individual posters have been warned via PM.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

You can thank Bill Clinton for this measure. It disarmed at least 5000 cops in the US after it passed. Steve48

The way I see it is there's consequences to everything. Maybe the law needs to be tweaked a bit to where the alleged perp isn't penalized for throwing a feather, but penalized for punching, slapping, or kicking his spouse. I don't feel sorry for those types!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    No personal attacks folks.

If it persists this thread will be closed.

Individual posters have been warned via PM.
    While I fully admit that I was somewhat rude to MACpistol I do want to say that it was not without provocation and I didn't swear, flame or otherwise lower the high standards set on this site.
    It is wrong when a new member launches into angry tirades in their first two days, and singles one member out for the bulk of their attention. I am however above reacting in a manner that breaks the rules here.

I the Sherriffs office where I recieved my permits there is a sign that clearly states that if you have a conviction of DV, don't even waste your time standing in line.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I was an officer during this time period , and Colorado had a knee jerk reaction of changing any dv situation from " may arrest " to " shall arrest " . This simply put means that if an officer is called , and sees any evidince ( thro observation of the house ect.. or testomony of the folks on scene ) the officer MUST arrest at least one of the partys , and with a dv specific charge . The party arrested cannot even bond from jail untill appearance before a judge ( hell murderers can but not a dv suspect ) . Once your even charged with a dv crime , then you are de facto a felon . With the state of statutes in My state at least its a felony conviction without a trial , and the officers who show up are NOT the bad guys on this . This is a needless " for the children and women " law that just penalises the innocent . Back when i was an officer i had no trouble arresting anyone on my observations ( the same criteria this law works off of ) and charging them with assault , disorderly , ect .. No one ever got beat up after i left because i lacked the power to make an arrest, but after inactment some ( both male and female went to jail when i was called )wrong folks got stigmatised . For myself i would when called decide i am not Soliman , and could not decide who was the agressor on a disarrayed house , so both went to jail with identical charges . Kids if any were social services issue . Didnt do a dammed thing to fix a bad law , but did cut down on BS calls once word got out .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms.k View Post
    The way I see it is there's consequences to everything. Maybe the law needs to be tweaked a bit to where the alleged perp isn't penalized for throwing a feather, but penalized for punching, slapping, or kicking his spouse. I don't feel sorry for those types!!
    You are absolutely right, ms.k, but aggravated battery is already a felony in all states. If someone is being beaten by their spouse sufficient to cause serious bodily injury, then charge them with the felony of aggravated battery rather than misdemeanor domestic violence. Felons forfeit their 2A rights. All other misdemeanants, except those convicted of misdemeanor DV, do not.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

ive said it before, ill say it again....

if we outlaw bologna and cheese, only outlaws will have bologna and cheese sandwichs.

seriously, though, most states have a clause that basically states "cant buy crap if convicted felon (any felony) OR convicted of any crime of violent behavior" - they leave out felony/misdemeanor on purpose, btw. they dont differentiate on such.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    While I fully admit that I was somewhat rude to MACpistol I do want to say that it was not without provocation and I didn't swear, flame or otherwise lower the high standards set on this site.
    It is wrong when a new member launches into angry tirades in their first two days, and singles one member out for the bulk of their attention. I am however above reacting in a manner that breaks the rules here.
    Acknowledged. I just edited out the attack, as you did, so we're all good....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links