Portland gun ranges?

Portland gun ranges?

This is a discussion on Portland gun ranges? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently moved to Portland and am surprised by the lack of nice indoor gun ranges. I moved from the Seattle area and nice ranges ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CWOUSCG

Thread: Portland gun ranges?

Portland gun ranges?

I recently moved to Portland and am surprised by the lack of nice indoor gun ranges. I moved from the Seattle area and nice ranges are a dime a dozen. I also noticed here many require you to shoot their ammo or charge a fee to use your own. I have checked out the gun clubs, Tri-county and Johnson creek. Tri-county is more set up for long gun shooters, I only have handguns, and Johnson creek is too restrictive. The public ranges I have seen are expensive and like I mentioned earlier make you use their ammo or charge a fee to use your own.

I am missing my old range already. UGH! What is it with using only their ammo or charging a fee? Is it just their way to make more money or some Oregon health safety law?

Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    Tri-county is more set up for long gun shooters, I only have handguns ...
    If you're open to an outdoor facility, TCGC has it all. It's hardly handgun-unfriendly. There's a black powder range, a .22 range, IIRC an indoor .22 spot, the steel target range, and the whole IPSC-style set of bays on the "action" range. Lots of spots for training with handguns. True, it's outdoors, but it's about as varied a spot as you're likely to find, indoors or out. And while the initiation fee is steep, the annual fee is relatively modest, without any per-day or per-hour access fees, no charge for bringing a guest. Use your own targets, your own ammo.

There's the Clackamas Public Safety Training Center. Nice facility, but they've got controls.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There are very few ranges in Northwest Oregon. Some have gone out of business over the years. The only other one near Portland is Douglas Ridge which is good for long range rifle shooting.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you're open to an outdoor facility, TCGC has it all. It's hardly handgun-unfriendly. There's a black powder range, a .22 range, IIRC an indoor .22 spot, the steel target range, and the whole IPSC-style set of bays on the "action" range. Lots of spots for training with handguns. True, it's outdoors, but it's about as varied a spot as you're likely to find, indoors or out. And while the initiation fee is steep, the annual fee is relatively modest, without any per-day or per-hour access fees, no charge for bringing a guest. Use your own targets, your own ammo.

There's the Clackamas Public Safety Training Center. Nice facility, but they've got controls.
    I don't shoot 22 or black powder. They have severe restrictions on who can use the tactical range. The only short range handgun lanes they have are converted storage containers. Since I am never going to use my gun in a real world situation at 25 or 50yds I see no point in practicing those distances. Not to mention the waiting list is about 10months.

I used to shoot at a great indoor range right on the Columbia River, North Portland, near Hayden Island. Forget the name of the place, but it was a stellar range where they had private indoor ranges where members could shoot much more freely. Lots of law enforcement folks used that range as well... can't remember the name. I moved from there to Arizona a while back.

If they're still there, it's an awesome indoor range run by a woman who lost her forearm to an accident, as I recall. Beautiful, sweet person, she was when I knew her back then. I hope she's still running the range.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I used to shoot at a great indoor range right on the Columbia River, North Portland, near Hayden Island. Forget the name of the place, but it was a stellar range where they had private indoor ranges where members could shoot much more freely. Lots of law enforcement folks used that range as well... can't remember the name. I moved from there to Arizona a while back.

If they're still there, it's an awesome indoor range run by a woman who lost her forearm to an accident, as I recall. Beautiful, sweet person, she was when I knew her back then. I hope she's still running the range.
    IIRC, that's The Place To Shoot, up Hwy 5 about 1mi south of the Columbia River @ 904 N Hayden Meadows Drive Portland, OR.

(at the TCGC) I don't shoot 22 or black powder. They have severe restrictions on who can use the tactical range.
    Uh, are you sure about the "severe" restrictions?

There's an introductory training seminar required of EVERYONE who wants to shoot on the IPSC-style bays (aka, the "action range"). It's simply an introductory training seminar on proper and safe use of the IPSC-style range. Just go through that, and you're fine. They just want to ensure the riffraff doesn't blow off their own toes, or those of others. Unless things have changed with that seminar in the past few years, that ought to be the only restriction. Otherwise, use the IPSC bays as you see fit, safely leveraging the barrels, barricades and whatnot to best effect based on what your course of fire needs are. Works very nicely.

Uh, are you sure about the "severe" restrictions?

There's an introductory training seminar required of EVERYONE who wants to shoot on the IPSC-style bays (aka, the "action range"). It's simply an introductory training seminar on proper and safe use of the IPSC-style range. Just go through that, and you're fine. They just want to ensure the riffraff doesn't blow off their own toes, or those of others. Unless things have changed with that seminar in the past few years, that ought to be the only restriction. Otherwise, use the IPSC bays as you see fit, safely leveraging the barrels, barricades and whatnot to best effect based on what your course of fire needs are. Works very nicely.
    I was told by one of the RSO who gave me a tour of the place they were for law enforcement and a few others but it wasn't open to the general member. I don't remember what he said was needed to be able to use it.

I was told by one of the RSO who gave me a tour of the place they were for law enforcement and a few others but it wasn't open to the general member. I don't remember what he said was needed to be able to use it.
    As a member for many years (but not the last several), I can assure you that non-LE have used those IPSC-style bays at the Tri-County Gun Club. As I said, there's the introductory seminar, to cover the safety aspects of the IPSC bay approach, and you get that "certification" stamp on your ID card. But then, the range is open, short of any time it's been commandeered for a tournament or all-LE training, or whatever. Other than tournament day, I can't recall ever being denied access to the bays.

Per the TCGC's web site: Action Range ... "Only members who are Action Range Certified may shoot unsupervised on this range. Guests or members who are not certified may shoot under the direct supervision of an Action Range Certified member."

Might want to check again, if you were told it's essentially LE only. I'd be much surprised. But then, perhaps things have changed to that degree.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Try Threat Dynamics. They have a nice range and you can bring your own ammo.
    ccw9mm likes this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Black Rifles Matter

IIRC, that's The Place To Shoot, up Hwy 5 about 1mi south of the Columbia River @ 904 N Hayden Meadows Drive Portland, OR.
    Yep... that's the place. Great range and if it's near where you want to shoot... definitely check it out.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links