Price question

This is a discussion on Price question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; see new post below Hey everyone- I've been on here a few months reading just about everything I could, and I think I'm close to ...

Thread: Price question

first gun!

see new post below

Hey everyone-
    I've been on here a few months reading just about everything I could, and I think I'm close to buying my first pistol, but wanted to see what everyone thought on price. Its a very new, good condition Ruger P90 TH (which seems to be a special edition) shipped to a local FFL for $450. Now the gun lists for about $370 on impactguns.com, so even with shipping do you folks think the price is a bit steep? On a side note the seller is tossing in a box of 100 rds. of Remington 230 gr. JHP ammo. And finally one last question. I wasn't able to find a solid answer on- in NH (I don't have my CCW permit just yet) I'm safe to transport the gun as long as it is unloaded with any ammo in a separate container, correct?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by MikeNH; March 16th, 2007 at 06:32 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    JMO but yes, price does seem high for a Ruger. I know ammo added helps but I'd be thinking much more down toward the $300 - $325 area.

I guess ''special edition'' can make a difference but would that make the gun perform any better? Not a lot I'd guess! If however you like it, a lot - then maybe not so much worry - I have paid over odds before just because of ''I want - now!"

I have not checked NH law but usually unloaded in locked box and ammo separate is good most places.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

too much money ...........I think I'd pass..........but that's me.....
    Come toKTP........I'll steer ya straight.........plau you can buy on your Drivers' license...........and we''ll send the gun to Portsmouth to the Exchange point and save you fransfer fees........no tax as you're a NH resident........PM me for more info and time I am at the store.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I would pass on that one too!! Steve48

first the important part

This is the gun I asked about earlier. I negotiated to a price I was happy with and I got it from the receiving FFL dealer Tuesday. It seems to be in great shape, feels good in the hand too. Funny story along with it- I went to Wal Mart last night to pick up a box of WWB and while I was at the counter swiping my card through the little machine, the guy behind be in line makes a grab for my wallet I put my hand over his pretty quick (and with a bit of force...), smiled and said "I believe thats my wallet". The dude got all nervous and said sorry, it looked just like his wallet (which I later found out to be a think black one, my wallet has too much junk in so its thick and a totally different color). I didn't loose anything and I think just being firm but still friendly will make him think twice about doing it again. But what amazes me the most is that he has the audacity to try and rip off a guy buying ammo! Anyhow hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out next weekend, I can't wait. Sorry for the long post!

VIP Member
    Post not too long. The Ruger P-series are good guns. The wallet incident sounds well handled.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

nice gun, ruger makes a good gun
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Im sorry especially to (P95 Carry) I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes Ruger but those guns are tanks. The look and operate like one too. Also, I am not to fond of the quality of their auto series. But if you look on the bright side they are priced cheap...I guess you get what you pay for!

Assistant Administrator
    Im sorry especially to (P95 Carry) I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes Ruger
    Haha - no offence taken Anyways my handle is way outa date as P series carry was back in time by some ways! Last 2 years EDC has been and is a 226 ST.

I always said of my own P series (I still have a P95 and P97) ... that they are ''chunky'' and ''fugly''!!!

For cost tho - bottom line is - robust, reliable and great value. If someone is on a budget and this will get them started on carry - as long as they can conceal they can do much worse IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If you're happy with the price paid then that's all that matters. My first handgun was a 9mm P89DC. It was blocky, fugly ... and an absolute tack driver! Only function issue I ever had through thousands of rounds downrange was one FTE with a CCI shotshell, I'd say that's acceptable reliability. Wish I still had that gun in my collection but at least it went to a good home with a buddy from work who wanted a sidearm to carry into the woods.
    Jack

Links