I want a "big boomer" handgun

This is a discussion on I want a "big boomer" handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I'm posting this under General Firearms because this is not going to be a carry gun. I have a Browning hp 9mm and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want a "big boomer" handgun

Ok, I'm posting this under General Firearms because this is not going to be a carry gun.

I have a Browning hp 9mm and I have a S&W 442 for defence and I've got $700 of mad money kicking around to buy something that I don't need.

My first thought was a .357. Then I kinda drifted to a .44 Mag. Now, I'm wondering about something that shoots the Casull 454 and 45LC to make some noise with.

I know, I know. Go to a range that rents guns and find out what I want. Boring. :)

What's the handgun that you guys and gals turn to when you just want to feel the earth shake?

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member
    Calling Bud White (our resident big boomer maven)......
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

As cool as the .357 is, it is among the starting line up (meaning it's not that bad) when you want to go boom and have a gun that everyone turns to look at when you shoot it on the range. I will cut to the chase on this for lack of time. The S&W 460 is the loudest hand gun I've heard yet and one of if not the coolest gun's I've shot. A friend has one and I have been mouth watering for it ever since shooting it.

Their are other options but I will let others tell there experiances about them.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I like a .44 mag with a 6" barrel. Plenty of boom and easier to control than a smaller barrel.

But with the newer rounds out now, .44mag is almost small compared to the likes of the .460S&W mag, .480 Ruger, and .500S&W mag.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

The .44 mag is no longer king of the hill, but it isn't a pipsqueak either. I have shot a .480 Ruger (9 1/2" Super redhawk). It was definitely a step up from the .44, but not insane.

FWIW, the .44 with the Hornady 300 grain hunting loads is plenty of boom for me!
    Sprinfield XD 4" .45 Compact
    Blackhawk SERPA

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    What's the handgun that you guys and gals turn to when you just want to feel the earth shake?

Ron
    I've got a Bowen Classic Arms customized Ruger Redhawk in .475 Linebaugh. It is the big brother to the .480 Ruger. This baby delivers 420gr at almost 1400FPS.

It started out as a run-of-the-mill Redhawk in .44MAG, but I needed something for Alaskan Browns, and this seemed like the ticket. $1400 and 4 months later I had a cannon that would handle anything in North America. I cut down 45-70 casings to get brass for handloading. I'd match it against the .500 S&W anyday.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by p8riot; March 6th, 2007 at 12:00 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    This baby delivers 420gr at almost 1400FPS.
    WOW!!!

I'm not sure I'd want to shoot something like that out of a rifle, let alone a handgun. Call me a chicken.

500 Smith and wesson shooting a 700 Grain bullet just makes a certain sound

This pic here is with a 440 grain in the 500

Heres 700 grain

The 460 has more concussion and heat feel to it with the 200 grain load but starts to pale to the 500 when you get into the heavier loads

The 270 grain load i put together for the 460 is extreemly accurate and is truly a one handed affair to shoot recoil is about nill

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    I've got a Bowen Classic Arms customized Ruger Redhawk in .475 Linebaugh. It is the big brother to the .480 Ruger. This baby delivers 420gr at almost 1400FPS.
    I would love to try out the 475 Linebaugh but hard to find hoping smith will use the xframe and bring out something to that effect

I watched an episode of Shooting Gallery that I had DVR'd. I forget his name, but they were talking to a guy that handloads 500S&W rounds to an OAL of 2.3inches with 710gr wadcutters. Something like that. You may be able to look up the episode and get his load data. He did give it.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

Forgot this pic had to find it and upload

700 grain 500 S&W
    45 colt
    454 Casull
    500 S&W 350 Grain
    500 S&W 440 Grain
    460 S&W 200 Grain

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    P8triot - that is one awesome looking wheelie.

Bud - what can I say "now those are guns!!"
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Ok,

So I have to admit that the .500 looks terrifying and yet... :)

.357 has the 38 special
    .454 has the .45LC

Is there a wrist-saver/nancy-boy load for the .500? I understand that with handloading I could pretty much create what I wanted but I have little experience with handloading and that's all on a $75 Lee single-stage press in 9mm.

Thanks!
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

they do make a 500 special corbon does

the 460 will do the 45 schoilfield (sp) 45 colt 454 casull and 460 course with the colt and below expect to have to alter sight adjustments

The comp'ed barrels on both guns do help soak up some of the recoil well a lot i will say the pics make it look worse than it feels

The 440 is the worst i have shoot the 700 is tame compared to it

And handloading is easy for the 500 you can load a 9mm you can load it same steps just a lot easier to handle case

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    I watched an episode of Shooting Gallery that I had DVR'd. I forget his name, but they were talking to a guy that handloads 500S&W rounds to an OAL of 2.3inches with 710gr wadcutters. Something like that. You may be able to look up the episode and get his load data. He did give it.
    That would be John Ross.
    I saw that episode, it was a very cool show.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links