Part Range Report, Part Ammo Question - Rossi .38spl

This is a discussion on Part Range Report, Part Ammo Question - Rossi .38spl within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I looked at the .45 I've been saving for closer, and the bottom is not a Colt, only the slide, and that's a Series 70. ...

Thread: Part Range Report, Part Ammo Question - Rossi .38spl

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Part Range Report, Part Ammo Question - Rossi .38spl

I looked at the .45 I've been saving for closer, and the bottom is not a Colt, only the slide, and that's a Series 70. That being the case, what they're asking ($560 +/-) is waaaaay too much, especially with it needing sear work. I reckon one will find its way to me eventually.

Meantime, I have another modern .36 caliber.

I like tax time...

This Rossi fits a S&W holster quite well. The holster is fairly ambidextrous.

Smith and Wesson ammo? 158 grain +P lead. It looks like SWCHP. It's reserved for carry. I am practicing with standard pressure I've had for years.

I shoot it about the same fast or slow. The "crosshaired" ones were deliberate fired at 7yds, about a second apart. The circled ones were shot during a "rip it out and let it roar" drill.

Lessons learned from shooting were that I'm no longer used to short barrelled revolvers. I got a headache and stopped after 10 rounds. I also found out exactly how out of practice I am. They should all be in the black for me. I do still have the control I'm after though, and anyone within 7yds would be in serious trouble should they force me to use this.

I'm not exactly sure where this lil' thing fits into my collection, as it's becoming. I already have a pocket gun. I picked it up because it was like new. I would guess it had no more than one cylinder through it when I bought it, if that. Finish is 99.9%. Best of all, there's no lock. It was a bit expensive at the $175 I dickered him down to, but it's only $25 more than I remember seeing them priced at years back, so I figure I got a bargain.

Now my question: This Smith and Wesson ammo is something I've never heard of. I only got it because it's made by a reputable manufacturer and, as I'm new to the .38spl (mostly .357mag in wheelies before), I figured a proven effective load would be a good starting point. Can anyone give me any info on this stuff? How does it rate in the SWCLHP +P dept, say, against Federal? Same pure lead? Has it been dropped from manufacture, and if so, why?

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice gun and $175 is not a bad deal. Sorry I can't help on the ammo. I'm curious now, too.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Good find!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I found the same model Rossi at a gun show for $125. Mine is the 4 inch barrel variety. Know that I am learning some smithing, I am going to cut it down to a snub nose and replace the front sight. I lik this little gun. I guess I don't know much about the 38 ammo, but I find that +p runs through it well. I was advised that practice with non +p may be advisable. Specifically, I was told... " The Rossi can
    handle a +p snack much easier than it can handle a buffet of it..." I have not verified this statement, but I find the regular ammo cheaper anyway.

Have fun and happy .38 shooting.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

VIP Member
    I used to use blazer swchp in alu cases and have not seen it in years.
    It had excellent accuracy.

I'll stay with my S&W's. Steve48

Senior Moderator
    Never shot the S&W ammo. I like the 135gr GoldDots in 38+P in my Taurus 605
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links