Familiarity, training and complacency.

This is a discussion on Familiarity, training and complacency. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I spoke with a shooting bud earlier who had a close call - he ND'd when prep'ing his carry piece for routine clean. No prob's ...

Thread: Familiarity, training and complacency.

Assistant Administrator

Familiarity, training and complacency.

I spoke with a shooting bud earlier who had a close call - he ND'd when prep'ing his carry piece for routine clean. No prob's - rule #2 thank heaven saved the day - just a small ''scar'' on the concrete of his basement (and a red face).

He is a shooter of some 20 or more years and has carried for many years. He shoots IDPA and trains quite regularly.

I asked him - how come? His response was that he ''just forgot''!!! He had dropped the mag on his G19 but - yep - there was a chambered round!!! Oops.

On discussing the event it became clear that in a sense, the longer we go on, and the more ''skilled'' and familiar we get ......... the more also we may potentially become complacent. So yeah - ''done this 100's of times, no sweat''..... bang! Oops.

Bottom line conclusion we reached was simple - all gun handling still requires conscious thought and not just the ''yawn - done this before'' approach.

I have gotten close to having done similar but fortunately have tried to take a step back and run thru mentally what needs done first ......... it is only a heartbeat's distance from trouble, if we let familiarity and supposed training, mandate our casual actions.

Stay safe folks - it is a good way to go.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That's a good reminder. When I am tired, I tend to get sloppy with whatever the task may be. Especially when it is something very familiar.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I dread the day that the 'accident' is mine. I use the word accident with inverted commas as we all know it isn't really a accident at all.
    But everything we do with any regularity is prone to a mistake, accident or user error. For example, I have drilled thousands upon thousands of holes in wood, I am certainly not unskilled or out of practice, but still on occasion I make a mistake and drill in the wrong place or too deep or even hurt myself.
    The problem with NDs is that the stakes are so much higher, hopefully that makes our level of attention heightened in accord.

Hopefully.

This is something that cannot be reiterated enough P95, that and the 4 rules.

Good post.

Assistant Administrator
    The best thing was - his wife, tho not anti is not a gun lover - heaven be praised she was out when this happened
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I had an 'almost' once when I was dry firing and ftf practice. you know racking slide and pulling trigger. after I was done I inserted Full Mag. racked the slide to load chamber and stoped myself just before pulling trigger. Since then I never use my carry gun for dryfire pactice.
    I always use one of my spare guns

JD
    Administrator
    It's amazing how many people forget rule number 1.

Treat every gun as if it were loaded, especially when getting ready to clean, whenever me and the missus are doing anything other than holstering or unholstering, we check our chambers tiwce, and then show clear to the other.

Luckily I have a spouse who is as much a nut as I am, it always pays to have a safe system and to stick to that system.

....just so long as you don't spill Hoppes on the floor.

Lead Moderator
    Being so familiar , we are prone to mistakes. Probably part of the reason so many LE have AD's.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Being so familiar , we are prone to mistakes. Probably part of the reason so many LE have AD's.
    This is true... I find myself so complacent with guns at times. I have one on me most of the time, and I am always fixing, cleaning or tinkering with one. It used to bother me if a muzzle was pointing my direction... it doesn't phase me at all any more.
    We all need to keep a clear head and concentrate on what we are doing. I have made rules for myself that have served me well. No ammo on the work bench. No watching TV while tinkering or cleaning. Full attention on the task at hand. Those two added to the basic rules I am sure have saved me from ever having a A/D.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links