GUNS magazine november 1955 issue PDF

2K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  svgheartland 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Actually, we do!

Page 46: Walther PPK Blued: $64

CPI Inflation Calculator --> $64 in 1955 is $570 in 2015

Wather PPK price from Cabellas: $429

I've looked at the price of guns in the past and today - and in most (not all) cases they are the same, or have actually gone down! At least when considering inflation, anyway.

#8 ·
Thanks for posting, it's amazing how much content was in those old magazines. Great articles, and even some of the ads.

I think the world would be a better place if more fathers wrote letters to thier children like the one in the Browning shotgun ad "A Gun Can Be A Symbol". The themes of honesty, pride in accomplishment through hard work, and a life well lived don't seem to get much airtime these days...

#9 ·
I'm sentimental, I love reading these old magazines, American Rifleman especially. Argosy had great WWII stories. I buy 'em wherever I come across them. I search gun forums for just this kinda stuff. They put our modern magazines to shame as they are full of useful data and a glimpse into our past. My kids can see what we used to have. Glad there are people here that like the same reading. Please share any links like this.

Reactions: Eric357 and OD*
#12 ·
PEF,
Its parts of my anti PC campaign!

Hotbrass45,
Its ugly but wish I had one. I'd rechamber it to 50BMG, even with no ammo it'd be cool to put in the mancave. Maybe shoot once in awhile at great expense..

Reactions: Eric357 and OD*
#15 ·
A 1941 Colt 1911 national match at $52.75 for me!

Reactions: OD*
#19 ·
Shoot that rifle and appreciate the quality. I only wish firearms makers today would step up quality control, mill their parts and stop using plastic. People would gladly pay more...

#22 ·
What a treat! And it's fun seeing contemporary articles by some of the names in my library - Bert Popowski and Charlie Askins.

I almost mistook Jack Connor for Jack O'Connor (Mister .270). Does anyone know if the Jack Connor of 1955 is related to the John Connor who writes for today's Guns and American Handgunner magazines?

#24 ·
Jack O conner, Charles Askins, Skeeter Now those were great writers from my time! Jogging my memory.I miss the pet loads that used to give me good insight as a new guy to reloading..

Reactions: msgt/ret and OD*
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.