Defensive Carry banner

FBI offically switching to 9mm?

3K views 55 replies 42 participants last post by  LtBlue425 
#1 ·
I just read a gun mag that said officially the FBI I switching to 9mm because of less recoil, higher capacity and the effectiveness of new ammo. In fact, in the executive summary that was quoted they said that some 9mm ammo out performs even the high performance .40 and .45 ACP ammo out there.

If anyone has a link to this, please post it. I am a big 9mm fan but was not 47 years ago when 9mm ammo was weak and considered best for those who carry pocketbooks. Modern 9mm ammo is leaps and bounds better than it used to be. They penetrate and expand enough to reach vital organs from any angle. The bullet size differences between 9mm, .40 cal and .45 ACP are measured in fractions of an inch.

I used to carry only .45 ACP. Never was a fan of the .40. Only bought some police trade in .40 Cal Sigs because the cost $399 and are in pretty good condition and work like new. However, I put .357 Sig barrels in them because I prefer its recoil over the .40. They are not carry guns though, just to be used deafen the guys at the range. :) I have recently switched to Federal HST ammo. It, like others, is specifically designed to meet or exceed FBI standards. Since it can perform and allow me to be more accurate, I stick with 9mm.

It also seems that the reason the FBI went with the 40 was that they spent a lot of time and money on the 10mm which did not work out for them so the .40 was created to save face. Sounds about right for a government agency. Of course 9mm ammo is cheaper so there is a cost savings there. I wonder which handgun will be standard issue. A Glock 19 makes sense since it can be used by both uniformed and plain clothes agents. Perhaps the Sig P229 or maybe even the new VP 9. It will be interesting to see what they do.

You know what will happen next? As many LE agencies switched to .40 when the FBI did, I expect to see many go back to the 9mm. In fact, I keep reading about how some LE agencies already made the switch which substantially increased qualification scores. Of course, civilians tend to follow LE when it comes to ammo. If they think a .40 is big bad ammo, they want it too but not everyone shoots it well, especially out of small compact guns. I only like it in heavy guns like the Sig P229 and P226. Recoil is very mild in those guns.

So anyone with any info on this, please let us know what you know. Thanks.

See less See more
#8 ·
More tax payer money wasted 10 didn't work so S&W stepped with the 40 . How much has been spent over years on this Now were going back to the 9. I think agents need to buy their own pistols and have choice of 9or 40 .

I have to admit I have become somewhat a 9mm fan Due to age and hand problems. I still have my 45's but somedays a 1911 9mm finds way into holster. and I got a Kahr CW9.

#9 ·
Old news. You can never get the whole truth out of the executive summary. That is how the author spins it to sell, trust me, I wrote enough of them.

The real reason is that many Agents are having trouble qualifying with the 40's, there are not a lot of shooters in the FBI. As a side benefit the ammo is cheaper, when you buy several million rounds a year a few cents adds up quickly.

New 9's significantly better than the best 40, 45 ACP, and 357 Sig rounds? Only if that is what you can get hits with.

#12 ·
Old news. You can never get the whole truth out of the executive summary. That is how the author spins it to sell, trust me, I wrote enough of them.

The real reason is that many Agents are having trouble qualifying with the 40's, there are not a lot of shooters in the FBI. As a side benefit the ammo is cheaper, when you buy several million rounds a year a few cents adds up quickly.

New 9's significantly better than the best 40, 45 ACP, and 357 Sig rounds? Only if that is what you can get hits with.
That counts with any of them.....:wink:

#10 ·
I too have been watching the performance improvements and trends toward usage of 9mm. Those favtors combined with reduced costs and availability of 9mm ammo led my wife and I to standardize on 9mm (we sold or traded the 380 pustols we had and replaced them with 9mm). The cost savings allow us more practice time/rounds.

I too favor HST when I can find the LEO 50 round boxes. I've recently tested some Winchester Defend. If I'm stuck buying SD ammo in 20 round boxes then I'll use whichever one is priced better. I like the fact that I can get the Win FMJ (Train) in matched shape and performance.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#17 ·
Big difference between being able to "handle" it and "shooting better" with a round. I can surely "handle" the .40 as I prefer the .45ACP hands down over the .40. I prefer the 9mm even more..not because I cant "handle" the .40 its because I shoot the 9mm more accurately and get more hits on target quicker with it. I ditched my Glock 23 because I just dont like the way the .40 recoils...its just sharper than either the 9mm or the .45 acp..

#19 ·
I carry 9mm now. Carried 40 sw for a ling time.
I only went down to 9 mm in so wife and i only need stock and reload one caliber. 9 is what she carries and likes.
Plus we can use each others ammo in serious pinch.
That said I will believe a major state or national LE agency drops 40 for 9mm when i see it.

#20 ·
I have gone to 9MM, but not because of anything to do with the FBI.

There seems to be more selection and I can handle the recoil a little better, particularly in the lighter frames. I think advances in ammo technology have also helped the effectiveness of 9MM rounds.

Not that they are better than the .40 or.45, because those rounds have also experienced the same technology advances.

Less recoil, more capacity and less expensive range ammo are my primary reasons for the switch.

#21 ·
I bought my Witness .45 when living in CA, not able to carry, and limited to 10 rounds. Also, back then, the second generation of bullets were just coming online and hadn't much of a track record. With today's ammo there isn't as much reason to go beyond 9mm Parabellum.

[The FBI has a uniform? Are you referring to business suits vs undercover plainclothes?:smile:]

Reactions: gatorbait51
#24 ·
It is quite possible that the FBI will continue their pursuit of a totally silent, non-recoiling sidearm, in order for agents to qualify. When the studies are finished, rubber bands and bobbie pins will be the weapon of choice.

Of course, someone will complain that the rubber band "hit their little finger causing a boo-boo". The studies will start again.

#26 ·
I have several 9mm pistols and also several 45. Still love my 45 and feel it is my go to caliber. I feel I shoot both calibers the same. I can shoot the 9 mm longer then the 45. I carry the 9mm being lighter and easier to carry. I have never owned a 40 and probably will never own one. I felt I needed to stick to less calibers and the 9 and 45 got the call especially since I'm a 1911 guy. There is always going to be something new and a new trend. I feel I'll stick with what I'm comfortable with.

#28 ·
9mm may be sufficient for SD, but it doesn't produce identical "disruption" using "apples to apples" bullets:
Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Load Comparison

Heavy clothed gel:
9mm HST 147- 12.5''/.69
40 HST 180- 12.5''/.80
45 HST 230- 13.5''/.87

IWBA gel:
9mm HST 147- 12''/.66
40 HST 180- 13.5''/.70
45 HST 230- 13''/.80

I am not knocking the 9mm, but that ^ is not equal; whether the difference matters or not .... :popcorn:

#30 ·
[The FBI has a uniform? Are you referring to business suits vs undercover plainclothes?:smile:][/QUOTE]

Yes they have a uniform division. You will will see them outside the J. Edgar Hoover Building in D.C. So does the Secret Service around the White House and the VP's residence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.