.357 barrel for a glock 23 .40

This is a discussion on .357 barrel for a glock 23 .40 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys what are the pros/ cons of swapping barrels in my .40 G23 to make it a .357 sig and what brand barrel is ...

Hi guys

what are the pros/ cons of swapping barrels in my .40 G23 to make it a .357 sig

and what brand barrel is recommended

JD

Why bother?

If you have a .40 caliber Glock 23, you can select .40 caliber defensive ammo that will closely simulate the ballistics of .357 Sig, so why buy a $180 barrel to shoot the .357 Sig caliber in the gun?

Typical .357 Sig ballistics involve a 125 grain bullet with muzzle velocity of 1350 fps and muzzle energy of 507 ft-lbs. Corbon Pow'rball ammo is available in .40 S&W caliber with a 135 grain bullet at muzzle velocity of 1325 fps and muzzle energy of 526 ft-lbs.

Corbon .40 S&W Pow'rball description

I don't see much difference here. Just look for lightweight, high velocity .40 ammo to simulate the .357 Sig.

I bought my replacement barrel some time ago, for $85, and it is great. The problem is, I don't remember the maker, and it isn't labeled. We tested it against some 30 year old bullet proof vests the other day, and it penetrated more layers than any other pistol bullet; it also really moved the barrel that the vest was resting on, far more than the other rounds. Pogo has a good point about .40 defensive ammo, but since I have the barrel, I have switched and will probably leave it in place.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

makes good sense on the .40 ammo

currently our duty(im a reserve sheriff deputy) is 180 gr win ranger sxt
    for off duty i have the 180 gr win sxt (black box)

but normal off duty everyday i carry a 1911 in .45 with 185 taurus copper hex

i was reading and saw fact i could convert to a .357 sig and i dont have to buy second gun

last question i also read you can copnvert to a 9mm from 40 is it possible (for cheap fun and to have yet another option on same frame

JD

If the glock is a new 3rd gen gun, then yes, you can just get the glock 32 barrel for it and everything should work just fine. The older Glocks do not have the frame supports that were put in to handle the extra recoil of the 357sig. I did this for the same reason a couple years ago. I could basically have 2 guns for the price of a new barrel.

In a glock, you can only do conversions downward, not upward. For example, you can change a .40 to the 357sig (which is actually a lateral conversion) and 9mm. You can't take the 9mm and go upwards to the .40.

thank you

im assuming a factory barrel preferred??

i know for the .357 the mags will be same how about the 9mm

if so i may pick up both barrels for all 3

also what model 9mm barrel should i buy

JD
    Last edited by Rolex Dr.; March 11th, 2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling

If going to a 357sig then there is no reason to spend a lot of money for a KKM or Bar-Sto barrel. Just get the glock 32 (the same frame and slide size as the 23) barrel. If going to 9mm, then you have to get a conversion barrel. This barrel will be more of a bull barrel as the barrel has to have the larger, .40 or .357sig outside diameter. You could get a drop-in fit KKM or Bar-sto or you could go a little cheaper and get something like the Lone Wolf branded barrel. I'd go to all three website and look around before deciding on which you really want to get.

As for the magazines, you will have to get magazines that fit the Glock 19. Those are the 9mm mags in that frame size.

If you want to do the full conversion from .40 to 9mm you need to change out the extractor, ejector and spring loaded bearing for the ones made for the 9mm as well as the barrel and magazines. All the rest of the parts in the gun are the same for both calibres.

thank you

I think order a glock .357 barrel and if i want a 9 i will look for a gun in the future

thanks again

JD

I really like the KKM and Bar-Sto barrels. Steve48

Links