Defensive Carry banner

Which 22 Plinker

• Browning Buckmark

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Ruger Mark II or III (explain which and why)

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Ruger 10/22

Votes: 32 29.4%
  • Other: Please explain

Votes: 40 36.7%

22 Plinker

6K views 78 replies 70 participants last post by  Texas40 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for a .22LR plinker. seems best in class are the Browning Buckmar, the Ruger Mark III or the Ruger 22/45. Can someone please explain the pros and cons for each and why I should go with one over the other. The application here would be stricly target shooting and accuracy. Looking for a simple, reliable, accurate 22 pistol. I'm not concenred with practicing for 1911 - so I guess the 22/45 is out. Just looking for a reliable, simple, durable .22 plinker.

#60 ·
Late 80's or early 90's Ruger MkII Target. It's more than good enuf to deserve a scope, especially 'cuz my eyes can't see nearly as well as it can shoot. Great balance, great control, fine trigger.

#62 ·
For a rifle I’d suggest the Ruger 10/22 carbine because it’s the only one out of the 10/22 collection that shoots Stingers & mini-mag’s and it has an endless supply of aftermarket accessories.

For a semi-auto pistol I’d suggest the M&P 22 compact, or the Ruger 22 Charger which also takes all of the 10/22 aftermarket accessories and it is quite accurate out to 75-plus yards.

For a revolver I’d suggest the Ruger Bearcat, it’s a tack-driver out to 25-plus yards, though the Ruger Single-Ten is nice as well.

#67 ·
My vote was for the Ruger MkII. I say the MkII over the MkIII because there is no LCI and I think it don't have a mag safety either. I don't like either feature on any gun unless it's of the type that's on the external extractor and don't involve any extra parts. Personal preference. i had a standard model 6" MkIII and I loved it but hated it's extra features as listed above. At that time it was new and my uncle bought a new Browning Buckmark, one of the cheaper models of Buckmark, mind you, and we both shot the Ruger better. Could've just been us though. I had to sell the Ruger later cause money got tight but I'd buy another in a heartbeat but I'd opt for a nice used MkII. YMMV.

Reactions: Taurahe
#68 ·
If you can find a Beretta neos, they are a ton of fun and affordable. I sold mine and regretted it. Very very accurate. I currently have a mk3 22/45 with removable grip panels and I love it also. I doubt you will be disappointed whatever you get

#69 ·
I have a neos. It is fun. The LGS here even has one with two barrels for a good price (let me know if you're in Northern Virginia) and they're not all that hard to find at gun shows. I oddly got mine from Gander Mountain used. For some reason this one was not marked up over the MSRP for a new gun. Amusingly, while I was waiting for them to find my gun (it was shipped from another store). I looked at one of the new ones they were selling and noted that both the ones they had were subject to the recall on the safety. It didn't seem to phase the moron clerks that they were selling defective guns (or even knew enough to warn the buyer that they needed to send the gun off to the Eastern Shore to have it fixed).

#72 ·
the only .22 plinker I have is the Ruger SR22 and I love it. its a bit small, so if your looking for something more "hand filling" then you might look elsewhere. it eats everything that I have ever fed it (save for a small box of federal match champion that it couldn't digest). in fact it prefers the "cheap" stuff. the ammo of choice for mine is Rem. golden bullet, wobbly bullet and all. its also super accurate. my wife is a crack shot ripping off shots as fast as she can at clay pigeons at around 20 yards. sub $400 too if I remember correctly.

#75 ·
I've got both of the Ruger's you listed in the poll but can only vote for one :frown:

I bought the MkIII because it was Ruger's newest model, not to mention I just like the look & feel of it.
It's more accurate than I'll ever be but I have no problems putting 5 rounds thru a half dollar size target at 10yds.

As for the 10/22, it's probably the best yet inexpensively priced 22 semi auto rifle on the market. On the carbine version, the rear sight isn't the best & my old age eye sight isn't what it once was but at 50yds, I can see a 3" orange target spot & place all my rounds thru it. I'm pretty sure I can do better once I mount a scope.

#76 ·
OP mentioned pistol, but there's a 10/22 in the list...I vote other. Savage MarkII FV-SR. That little guy is a tac driver out of the box. I run mine with cci-quiets and a can. Surprisingly good accuracy for subsonics and a can. I can keep sub 1" groups at 50yards with mine outside in average/not crazy windy weather and I'm NOT all that good of a shooter(granted that's with a bipod on it)...:embarassed: edited to add: <<REMEMBER those 1" groups are with SUBSONICS! I haven't even tried running any match grade stuff in it yet.

Heavy 16.5" fluted barrel threaded1/2x28, easily adjustable accutrigger(down to 2.5lbs), free float stock, pic rail out of the box for a grand total of $250. Come get some!

I have a 10/22. I stopped playing with it after I got the FV-SR.

Reactions: Chorizo
#77 ·
+100

I bought one for my grandson and liked it so much I bought one for myself. I have a Gemtech GM-22 can that should be out of Form 4 jail anytime now!
Here is mine with a Vortex Crossfire II on it. Shoots one ragged hole 10 round groups with Aguila standard sub-sonic

#78 ·
Yeah, I only had 2 gripes with mine(the FV-SR):
1) it only came with 5 round mags...WTH? Cheap buggers. I bought 2 10 rounders the day of purchase.
2) known surface rust issues with the factory finish - I spent a weekend with some brownells TCE and ALUMA HYDE II in matte black to make sure it doesn't rust up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.