Defensive Carry banner

Which 22 Plinker

• Browning Buckmark

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Ruger Mark II or III (explain which and why)

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Ruger 10/22

Votes: 32 29.4%
  • Other: Please explain

Votes: 40 36.7%

22 Plinker

6K views 78 replies 70 participants last post by  Texas40 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for a .22LR plinker. seems best in class are the Browning Buckmar, the Ruger Mark III or the Ruger 22/45. Can someone please explain the pros and cons for each and why I should go with one over the other. The application here would be stricly target shooting and accuracy. Looking for a simple, reliable, accurate 22 pistol. I'm not concenred with practicing for 1911 - so I guess the 22/45 is out. Just looking for a reliable, simple, durable .22 plinker.

#4 ·
None .. The only and I do mean only reason I will own a mk2 is for use as a silencer host if TEOTHWAWK happens ..

Sorry the maintenance is not my boat at all ..The 22/45 maybe

The 10/22 is a classic .. I would get the tactial take down model .. Or a older all metal one

My fav 22lr plinkers are the Sig 552 the M&p 22lr or a ppk 22lr .. All easy to clean and run good

#5 · (Edited)
Out of those the MK III target is the best value. The Buckmark is a little better fit and finish pistol, but that will cost you more. The Comparable Ruger is their Mk III Competition (their best for your purposes). The 22/45 Target is lighter and a compromise, and needs a trigger job.

Look at the weight. They're all terribly accurate. Barrel length (sight radius), and weight (a steady platform) are what will advantage you.

Don't go shoot a Browning Medalist or Colt Match Target. You will be ruined if you do.

#7 ·
Out of those the MK III target is the best value. The Buckmark is a little better fit and finish pistol, but that will cost you more. The Comparable Ruger is their Mk III Competition (their best for your purposes). The 22/45 Target is lighter and a compromise, and needs a trigger job.

Look at the weight. They're all terribly accurate. Barrel length (sight radius), and weight (a steady platform) are what will advantage you.

Don't go shoot a Browning Medalist or Colt Trophy Match. You will be ruined if you do.
A S&W Model 41 will have the same effect.

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

#8 ·
I can't tell if you're challenged by spelling or typing, but take a look at what you entered for poll choices. "Ruker Mk II or Mk II", and "Ruger 10/22" when I think you meant Ruger 22/45.

No matter, I get the drift of what you're after.

I have a lot of experience with the Rugers; my first handgun was a 1990 Ruger Mk II with the 5-1/2" bull barrel and target sights. More than a decade later I picked up a Mk II 22/45. Each has thousands of rounds through them, and each is more accurate than I am. I can't recall a malfunction of any sort with either gun. I put a Volquartsen trigger/hammer kit in the 22/45 and recently had it modified to accept 1911 grip panels. The trigger is really crisp now and with the 1911 grip angle which I prefer, the gun is simply delightful as a plinker or in the club-level steel games I shoot.

The "regular" Ruger Marks have a steeper grip angle than the 22/45 which is not at all objectionable; it's allegedly patterned on the Japanese Nambu pistol grip. For plinking and fun shooting, you don't need the bull barrel, although I would recommend the 6" over the 4" regular barrel just for better balance. I have yet to shoot a fixed-sight Ruger Mark that had poorly-regulated sights. I have a strong preference for the Mark II over the Mark III, as the latter models have useless (to me) features such as a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine safety, both of which I would spend money on to remove.

As for the other choices, the Browning Buckmarks are solid pistols although I do not have hands-on experience with them. But my club match experience shows that they are tied with the Ruger Marks for reliability - substantially ahead of the current crop of DA .22s, namely the Ruger SR, the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22. All of those guns are fussier about ammo and frankly, their light weight and shorter sight radius detract from getting hits on target, which is a big part of the fun of plinking.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the "Marks" for a plinker.

#12 ·
I have the Ruger Mark III Competition:

Ruger® Mark III? Competition Rimfire Pistol Models

I love it. Replacing the mag disconnect is not hard with a Markk II bushing. There are tons of aftermarket parts for accuracy if you want. Yes, they are hard to clean. The first time is tough but the second time is easier, the parts seem to wear a bit making it smoother. Plus, you know what you are doing the second time. I did go about 4000 rounds in between cleaning at first though. Great pistol, very accurate.

#14 ·
My 30+year old MkII is the most accurate pistol I've ever seen, in spite of having been used & abused terribly. It once sat semi-submerged under the seat of a flooded car for a week or so. After a thorough cleaning & lube, it kept right on ticking. The finish is rough, and it's got plenty of freckles, but it still works fine and it's still a tack driver.

Back when I had good eyesight, I routinely plinked at beer cans from 75 yards with the factory open sights, and hit most of them. Can't see a beer can from 75 yards these days! :redface:

#50 ·
My 30+year old MkII is the most accurate pistol I've ever seen, in spite of having been used & abused terribly. It once sat semi-submerged under the seat of a flooded car for a week or so. After a thorough cleaning & lube, it kept right on ticking. The finish is rough, and it's got plenty of freckles, but it still works fine and it's still a tack driver.

Back when I had good eyesight, I routinely plinked at beer cans from 75 yards with the factory open sights, and hit most of them.

Can't see a beer can from 75 yards these days! :redface:
I'm right there with ya Kilowatt3!! I mean I kin likely see a beer can but it's gonna be fuzzy. I had both of those Mk I or II's 25+years ago. The Mk I was a Ruger. Reminded me of the WWII Luger. That's why I liked it. Had a SS AMT Lightning with 6 or 8" bull barrel sometime after.

These days if I had my druthers I'd get one of those snappy 10-22 pistolas. I've seen several I really liked.

If I was the OP I'd go with the breakdown SS10-22 carbine mainly for the stealth carry in a ruck feature.

You caint hardly go wrong with a Ruger. I've had Rugers more than 30 years. Guns for the Working Man.

Reactions: Kilowatt3
#27 ·
Boy does that bring back some memories. A couple of ******** from Arkansas invited me to go shooting many years ago and they both had Nylon 66s. I thought I was pretty good at the time and I mostly shot at stationary targets with my 10/22. One of them would take three fist-sized clods of dirt and toss them 20 feet in the air and hit all three before they reached the ground.

#19 · (Edited)
Ruger MK1 ...no slide stop.
Ruger MK2...slide stop.
Ruger MK3...magazine disconnect.
Ruger 22/55 can be a MK2 or MK3. The 22/45 designation is the lower frame with a .45 style grip.

I have 5 Ruger pistols and 11 Ruger rifles.

My favorite is the Ruger MK2.

I absolutely despise the Ruger MK3 and that magazine disconnect. In fact, I would suggest that any engineer or manufacturer that designs and places a magazine disconnect on a gun, so that the gun can only shoot with a magazine in it, be beaten severely.
Yeah...they are great until you go camping, hunting or 4-wheeling, lose your magazine and then you have a gun that you cant shoot.

My favorite is the MK2.
No mag disconnect, just a great feeling,great shooting and accurate handgun.

#21 ·
Listing the 10/22 with a Buckmark and Mark II/III seems a bit odd. A rifle vs. 2 different pistols. But whatever.

At one point, I've owned them all. Only had a Mark III for a very brief period of time and sold it because it just sat in the safe. I have an ever so slight preference for the Buckmark because it fit's my hands a bit better.

That being said, my 10/22 sees more range time than almost every other firearm in my little collection. Great for near or far range plinking and varmint disposal.

#22 ·
I actually think any you named would be fine as a plinker - especially if that's what you're drawn to. However I voted other and think an SR22 or an M&P22C are also good options. Especially when it comes down to the ease of take down and cleaning. Good luck finding the "plinker" that works best for you whatever you choose.

#23 ·
I voted for the Buckmark because I like the looks and feel when I hold it. Which feels most comfortable to you or the others who will be using it? That should be your pick since they are all good guns. The 10/22 would be great if you wanted to customize and change parts. If you wanted to put a "can" on any of these I think the 22/45 has a model that is already threaded and ready.

#30 ·
I've had a passion for accurate .22LR autoloading pistols since I was a pup. New Ruger Standard model, 4.5" fixed-sights at 12 years old ($53, lawn mowing money). That was a l-o-n-g time ago. Since then I've run the gauntlet from ALL Ruger MK models, Browning Buckmarks, S&W 41s, High Standard Victor 10X, Hammerli, Pardini,...the works. Now I'm settled on the Buckmark Match Target. Of your suggested alternatives, it's tough to make a BAD choice. All will shoot at LEAST as well as most folks can hold. Yet be aware of variances in chambering. Standard .22 chamber will run most any ammo; standard, high & hyper velocity, yet won't be quite as accurate. Tighter Bentz chamber will sometimes choke on hyper velocity (MiniMags, etc.). Genuine Match chambering will give you premium accuracy but you'll generally need to run standard (Match) velocity ammo. With the shuttering jolt of recent rimfire price & availability, I'd put my priority on what AMMO I can get & afford. Then make any necessary compromises from there. Good Luck & let us know.

Reactions: MMinSC
#31 ·
I had to say "other". I love my 10/22 Takedown but I have more fun with a handgun. The most enjoyable was my Ruger Super Single Six. Dang that gun was fun and I'm still kicking myself for letting it go.
The 8 shot Ruger SP-101 is the one I have now but that sucker is pricey and needs a Wolff spring kit on top of the initial price to be a smooth shooter. JMHO

Reactions: msgt/ret
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.