Defensive Carry banner

If you could start all over.......

3K views 64 replies 56 participants last post by  Geezer 
#1 ·
I have had this weird wish that I could go back in time and start over and pick one pistol, stock with zero mods, for winter carry/home defense and one for summer/car carry. That way I could just have two pistols to train and practice with. I almost feel guilty for having guns that don't get shot that often. Ugh, owners guilt!!!

I compiled a list of guns and I finally selected the m&p9 VTAC and the Walther PPS 9mm. Both have a long service life, lasted a long time and have the versatility for the two roles they are purposed for.

What would you guys pick? I sorted and chose off my past experience with different pistols and caliber. I ranked them by recoil, ergos, mag capacity, ease of use, stock sights, ease of maintenance and cleaning, durability, parts availability, price, and versatility.

#7 ·
I was just gonna get the sights and put them on a normal m&p but apparently the PVD coating or treatment enhances the slides strength. And S&W claims the springs are different and meant to last longer. Not to mention the sights are a mother to put on due to how sturdy they are supposed to be. It was a bug and a half to adjust the sights on my vtac. It was just off to the right a tad and was laser sighting to the left as it was shooting as well

#12 ·
I would actually keep my XDM 40 as my winter CC. If I had a do over for summer, I might opt for a slim 9mm loaded with +P. I currently have a S&W Airlight .357 mag snubby for summer carry. Great gun but 5 rounds - meh and its not tame to shoot carrying .357 mag in such a small and light revolver. I still love this gun and it is even decently accurate with the Crimson Trace laser grips. I am seriously considering a move to a slim single stack 9mm. I am pondering and gradually testing the XDS, Glock 43 and Kimber Solo Carry 9mm. Dont know if I will actually go with one of them...

More to your question. Those are the only pistols I own so I train with them for defensive carry. For me my guns are tools so I personally dont really buy "safe queens" or "toys". So the handguns for me are covered for CC and I am happy with the choices. In most cases, if I find I want something different, I am more likely to look for a mod or upgrade to my current guns than to go buy a new one. Maybe that gives you some of the info you were wanting.

FYI - other guns in the family arsenal - My wife has a M&P 9mm, we have a tactical 12g shotgun in the home, Remington 700 for hunting, and an AR. I like to keep it simple.

#17 ·
Glock 27 and Glock 23, each with 9mm bbls and mags. Four guns, four seasons, zero safe queens.

Instead, I have G27 and G19, a Keltec P32 and a really nice Ruger MkII Target - great gun, deserves a scope! Oh well, my turn back machine isn't working this week.

#18 ·
I started carrying a DAO .38 Enfield at age 13 in 1989, and big suprise (look at my username), I still love British service revolvers, but have expanded a bit into other areas...

Still don't like the non-descript poly-striker that's all the rage now.

#20 ·
An XD MOD 2 .45 for carry/HD. 9+1 or 13+1 depending on the mag. I can conceal that easily all year round.

A S&W 637 (I would bob the hammer myself, does that count as a mod?) for deeper concealment/pocket carry.

(that's pretty much my carry lineup now)

#31 ·
H&K P30L 9mm LEM, P30SK 9mm LEM
CZ SP-01 Tactical (BD) 9mm, 2075 RAMI BD 9mm
Springfield M1
Springfield M14
Winchester M1 Carbine
Oberndorf Mauser, in .243 but most any caliber would do
Browning BLM (Belgian), in .243
Ruger Redhawk .44
Winchester Trapper .44

That's do nicely, for starters. What I didn't know, in terms of the basic gunsmithing, I'd learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.