Your Thoughts & Opinions On Handgun Porting - Page 2

Your Thoughts & Opinions On Handgun Porting

This is a discussion on Your Thoughts & Opinions On Handgun Porting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm anti-porting. I have no good reason hmmmmm..... sounds just like some other "anti's" I know.... sorry...couldnt resist......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts & Opinions On Handgun Porting

Senior Moderator
    I'm anti-porting. I have no good reason
    hmmmmm.....
    sounds just like some other "anti's" I know....

sorry...couldnt resist...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Since no one has mentioned it in this thread yet, I will give my number one reason for thinking the ported or compensated guns are a bad idea for carry. Itís not the noise; itís not the bright flash.
    Itís the hot gasses leaving those ports. Itís a good bet that if you ever use your gun for self defense, itís going to be in close quarters. Those hot gasses will burn stuff you donít want burnt, maim or otherwise damage me. I donít want to have to worry about that among all the other things involved with a self defense shooting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    A man of good taste!!! I like it!! Been called many things never that.
    Thanks Hotguns!! Do y'all see that? Do ya, huh? (lol)
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Administrator
    In the heat of a deadly firefight I'm not sure you would notice body skin burns by hot gasses any more than you would be immediately bothered by skinned knuckles.
    The eyes are the weak link though & while you can ignore skin burn - you cannot ignore not being able to see.
    I believe that the dirty gasses are hot enough and vent with enough velocity to do instant eye damage.
    I'm the first to poo poo Internet BS but, I do believe that heavy caliber high velocity upward expelled hot dirty gas could cause a serious eye problem at exactly the wrong time in a CQ confrontation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Anti porting reason #1 pain in the a$$ to clean stainless
    port holes.
    I got rid of a Raging Bull for that reason.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I don't have anything ported, nor have I ever shot one. I don't care about range guns. But absolutely not for a self-defense firearm... my reasons have been of those voiced before:

1) If you have to shoot from retention, doom on you. Some might say that a shooter wouldn't notice the burn in an intense situation like that. I'd hate to be the test case. Forget burning your skin, what happens if you are wearing something that isn't 100% cotton... Hate to think what heat like that would do to melt your clothing to your side.
    2) It makes you a brighter target in a dark room.
    3) Blinds you in a dark room.

That's really it. Anything more practical like cleaning I will leave to someone else who has dealt with them. And to think... all of that could have been avoided by simply buying a more controllable gun.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I have only shot one ported/compensated handgun. I shot a friends Glock 22C 40 caliber side by side with his XD Service 40 and my Sig 220 45acp. The difference between the Glock and XD was very noticeable. I was more accurate with the Glock, followup shots were quicker and better placed, and the recoil was about half as much. Also noise seem to be no different.

I won't compare either plastic gun to my Sig 220, but the 22C was fun to shoot and after that I would carry a compensated handgun.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I am not a fan of handgun porting.Especially in low light enviroment
    it's blinding!I'll stick with the traditional pistol styles.Thanks

Administrator
    This is interesting. Going WAY Back.
    Maybe somebody else will remember the story.
    It was in some Gun Ragazine or another...probably ??? Combat Handguns.

One company (or gunsmith) was porting 1911 .45s with 3 holes on each side of the barrel mated to three holes down each side of the slide.
    Supposedly it reduced felt recoil by venting gas straight out both sides of the handgun simultaneously.
    I'm not sure I would like flame jets blasting out down the flat sides of my slide.
    Would that even work?
    The holes were spaced pretty far apart and not too much unvented barrel before the bullet hit the first set of side vent holes.
    Supposedly not too much velocity loss when Chronograph tested.
    I dunno I just remember reading it & seeing the photos.
    I thought it was dumb & really sort of ruined the Top End of a 1911 in my opinion.

Should work Same style smith uses on the Xframe Qk

you dont really use a lot of velocity with porting since it is mostly at the end of the barrel

This is one of them subjects ever one has a opinion and theres not much middle ground

I will tell you the different comps on the 460 and 500 do work differently one better than the other

Course the only comps i use push the gas out the sides not the top just like what you are saying on that 1911 the one with ports out the top cut the muzzled lift a bit more than the out the side only comps but both work pretty well

Administrator
    It was weird with these running down the sides of the barrel and slide w maybe ??? 2" of solid barrel before the first set of holes started.

I'd like to see a pic

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Okay guys some points were made about porting that I wanted to test in a non scientific way of course. Took a ported Colt 10mm, a Colt 45 government, a Browning hi power and a 357 snubby (Ruger)out to my shooting spot.
    1. Retention firing- wore a white tshirt and blue jeans, eye and ear protection. Fired the 10mm (ported) from the hip, left arm up in close defensive position, no felt heat or powder. Moved the gun up to mid stomach position, left arm up gun in close, felt alittle heat, no powder. Fired the government 45, hi power 9mm and the snubby the very same way. Got more partculate from the snubby on my shirt then any of the other pistols.

2. Shooting in no light. Guys the ported gun was not any brighter and the light was more spread out so it was dimmer then the 45, 9mm and brightest of all was the 357 snub. (Ruger)

3. Blinding flash. Because the light was spread out it did not blind nor make a better target for the bad guy. The 357 was by far the brightest.

I know this wasn't scientific but it was a real life test, judged by some friends standing off to the side as well as shooting. All were full house carry loads. You all nailed it on the noise level.

I'm not trying to change anyones mind, just wanted you to know I took your comments seriously enough to test them out.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Administrator

Post Appreciated Gunnutty

Your effort appreciated.
    Real world testing need not be scientific...just has to be an actual test. Good progression in this thread.
    Hummm... trying to think of where I saw this neat carry gun on the web very recently. Man o doggies it was a super nice looking package.

Oh I remember now...Accurate Plating & Weaponry...I'll go find it & post a pic in the morning.

http://www.apwcogan.com/
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 13th, 2007 at 09:25 AM.

I had a Taurus 44mag...ported...did not like it at all! I'm not sure the porting made any difference...but is was very loud...lots of flash...and not really fun to shoot...
    I had only used it as a 'gator repellant' when kayaking during the mating season...
    Quickly traded it off...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links