Suggestions to improve my grip?

This is a discussion on Suggestions to improve my grip? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For some reason, my left hand won't stay put when I shoot my Ruger 345. My right hand is fine (I am right-handed) but when ...

Thread: Suggestions to improve my grip?

Suggestions to improve my grip?

For some reason, my left hand won't stay put when I shoot my Ruger 345. My right hand is fine (I am right-handed) but when I shoot (particularly if I am shooting rapidly) my left hand tends to shift position a little on me when I shoot 2-handed.

This causes me to either re-grip with the left hand (costing me time) or I go ahead and shoot with my left hand in different positions (affecting accuracy).

I don't seem to have this problem with other guns. It just seems that the gun seems to "jump" to the rear of my left hand so my left hand seems to slide toward the front of the gun. My right hand has the grip in the center of the web of my right hand so it's fine

I have "typical" strength in my hands and have tried gripping the gun more strongly with the left hand but still have the problem.

If it helps, I grip the gun in my right hand, then place the left hand against the left side (to fill in the gap where my right hand isn't). The thumbs are parallel and pointing toward the front of the gun.

Any ideas? (I do not want to change guns.)

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like you are doing the right things overall.

Altho parallel thumbs is often regarded as the de facto method of choice - you may find the crossed thumbs a better locking mechanism.

I also tend to suggest to shooters newer to the game, that a near ''white knuckle'' grip is about right but - backed off just a tad so as not to induce tension tremors.

I wonder too if a Hogue Handall added might assist slightly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Perhaps the gun just doesn't fit your hand as well as your other pieces... I know thats a broad statement but, why just this one gun giving you these problems? Maybe the Ruger needs to be owned by someone else? Just my .02 cents..
    Be safe.

Push forward with the right hand, pull back with the left hand, practice this before you fire. If you are doing it right the hands should stay in place and you should reduce target recovery time lost due to recoil.

I have IPSC tomorrow night. I will just try a stronger grip with my left hand. I will take .02's advice too and experment with it for a little while tonight.

The odd thing is that if you told me I had to shoot one-handed, the Ruger seems to be have the BEST grip for me if shooting single-handed.

A grip aid might help but I don't want to increase the circumference of the grip - even a little. Hmmmm. - Might be worth a try though.

Thanks! !!

It's not a 50/50 ratio between pushing forward and pulling back.
    I push forward maybe 55%, pull back 45%, something like that.

But do what feels good to you with that gun.

You'll know it when you hit the sweet spot.

I really don't "push and pull". I never have. I mentioned this to the wife and she thought I knew abou this! All my other handguns are 9mm and below. Maybe I just got away with it before because I had less recoil. (The 345 is my first .45)

I really appreciate the responses. I can't wait to get to the range again!

perhaps a picture of your grip in action would help garner some good advice. however, "how" you grip is important. with a weaver stance, you typically do a push/pull motion with your strong and weak hands respectively. but, if you're doing more of an isosceles, i suggest concentrating more on how you squeeze your fingers.

the fingers of your strong hand should be squeezing front to back, and the fingers of your weak hand should be squeezing side to side. remember, the palm of your weak hand should cover up as much of the exposed grip as possible, but it sounds like you know that already.

Administrator
    Yes, absolutely should be a strong "dynamic tension" betwixt the right and left arms.
    Pushing forward w/ the right & pulling back w/ the left.
    The right hand should grip the firearm quite hard and then ease back on the right hand grip a bit & the fingers of the hand should be gripping over the right tighter still.
    Neither hand should grip so hard that they shake.
    The majority of the hand grip power should be with the left support hand/fingers.
    The right index/trigger finger should be able to move completely independently of the right hand.
    The tip or the pad of the index operating the trigger and not the first joint of the index finger.
    You'll KNOW when it all feels right and you'll notice how much quicker the firearm comes back on target.
    It is critically important to build hand and finger strength in the support hand and fingers as well as the gun hand.

Buy a Gripmaster - Search it on Ebay. Best $10.00 you'll ever spend.

Do not do hand and finger exercises right before shooting or the same day. Do them 2 or 3 days earlier.
    That is what works for me.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Buy a Gripmaster - Search it on Ebay. Best $10.00 you'll ever spend.

Do not do hand and finger exercises right before shooting or the same day. Do them 2 or 3 days earlier.
    That is what works for me.
    I can atest to this. I had carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago and my doctor suggested using a Gripmaster (or similar device) to help restore my grip strength. It improved my grip (which is essentialal with 1911s) so helped me improve my guitar playing.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

For a lot of year I have been using more of a crushing grip. This past weekend I was told to use less side to side. This will increase my push pull. Also your support hand fingers tips should be lose. If you are doing it correct, some one should be able to come up, and move your support hand finger tips.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

as you can tell, there are many different ways to "skin the cat". i too used a push pull until i learned the technique i described in my first post. my groups shrunk, my times have dropped and my control of the weapon improved substantially. of course, it's easier to instruct and demonstrate in person ...

i'm really surprised we haven't seen this link (i think this is it):
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32856867071363

Links