"Boston gun project" to be tried in Cincinnati

This is a discussion on "Boston gun project" to be tried in Cincinnati within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...023/1056/COL02 A project credited with curbing violence in Boston in the 1990s is headed for Cincinnati. City Manager Milton Dohoney will start negotiating a contract ...

Thread: "Boston gun project" to be tried in Cincinnati

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...023/1056/COL02

A project credited with curbing violence in Boston in the 1990s is headed for Cincinnati.

City Manager Milton Dohoney will start negotiating a contract with David Kennedy, the criminologist who developed the Boston Gun Project, and the University of Cincinnati. City Council members – they set aside $750,000 during budgeting for an anti-violence project – voted Wednesday to authorize Dohoney to work out a contract.

“It’s urgent that we move forward with this issue,” said Councilman Cecil Thomas, a former police officer who’s chairman of council’s Law and Public Safety committee. He said he hopes the contract can be settled by early next month so the work can be under way by summer.

ighty-nine people were victims of homicide in Cincinnati last year. Council members have repeatedly said that’s unacceptable and that it’s time to do something new. As of now, the local project is called the Cincinnati Initiative to Reduce Violence.

“Crime is more pressing than any other issue,” said Councilman Jeff Berding. “I think this is our best chance for success.”

Kennedy’s Boston project started in 1995, and its Operation Ceasefire in 1996. That involved identifying the city’s gang-involved repeat offenders and essentially warning them that they were being watched, and that every agency involved in crime and prosecution – from Boston police to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms – was on board with this zero-tolerance approach.

Lt. Col. James Whalen, Cincinnati’s assistant chief over investigations, said he thinks the Boston plan can work here once it’s tailored to Cincinnati’s specific crime issues.
    Ran accross this in the local paper today. Does anyone know what this project is? If it is just a zero tolerance approach to repeat gang offenders and having them under surveilance, that sounds great to me. But why do they need a project for zero tolerance, anyone know if there was anything more involved back when this went into effect in Boston.

Almost all the homicides in Cincy are drug related, cracking down on gangs would probably help, I'm just confused about the whole project thing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well, I decided to use the resources available to me as a college student to try to do more research. I have access to tons of old Academic Journals, and found quite a bit on the subject, unfortunately, I'm not really allowed to spread links around.

Anyways, from all the reading I just did from a couple articles, it seems that it is a method in which hig profile repeat offenders are put under surveilance and gang violence is zero tolereance from all agencies involved. STill don't know why its gonna cost almost a million bucks though
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Because Cincinnati city clowncil is footing the bill.

Jimmy Whalen and Tom Striecher are the same guys who said there are no gangs in Cincinnati. I like Jim Whalen, he's a hellava nice guy, but I think he is wrong or is saying what the admin wants him to say.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Jimmy Whalen and Tom Striecher are the same guys who said there are no gangs in Cincinnati.
    Yeah, sure there are no gangs down there. Just like MS-13 isn't in Columbus. If we don't want to see them, they don't exist right?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Yup, just put your head in the sand and everything will be OK.

Funny thing is, West Chester has the most gang activity in the state, and I think per capita more than any place in the country. But not in Cincinnati!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Funny thing is, West Chester has the most gang activity in the state, and I think per capita more than any place in the country. But not in Cincinnati!
    Ya ever driven through the apartments right off Union Center behind the strip mall? Yeah, I believe it. I used to live in West Chester, thank God I never went to Lakota Public Schools. At least the Butler County Sheriff is trying to make things better his way.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Ya ever driven through the apartments right off Union Center behind the strip mall? Yeah, I believe it. I used to live in West Chester, thank God I never went to Lakota Public Schools. At least the Butler County Sheriff is trying to make things better his way.
    I just did today... well past them anyway. Rick Jones is the man... I would go work for him in a heart beat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Kennedy’s Boston project started in 1995, and its Operation Ceasefire in 1996. That involved identifying the city’s gang-involved repeat offenders and essentially warning them that they were being watched, and that every agency involved in crime and prosecution ... was on board with this zero-tolerance approach.
    Zero tolerance for repeat offenders; no more revolving door; everyone in enforcement, judicial, legislature and administration (city/county/state) being on-board with the concept. Heck, simply providing for full-term serving of sentences would go a long way, without a wholesale change in any overall program.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Zero tolerance for repeat offenders; no more revolving door; everyone in enforcement, judicial, legislature and administration (city/county/state) being on-board with the concept. Heck, simply providing for full-term serving of sentences would go a long way, without a wholesale change in any overall program.
    If thats what the project is then I think it will work, but King Si needs to get off his dead carcass and build a new jail. (who would have thought that punishing people for their crimes would work ) Nobody in Hamilton county can jail anyone for anything short of murder. Maybe the city of Cincinnati should build their own jail...
    "Just blame Sixto"

If thats what the project is then I think it will work, but King Si needs to get off his dead carcass and build a new jail. Nobody in Hamilton county can jail anyone for anything short of murder. Maybe the city of Cincinnati should build their own jail...
    Didn't they just shoot down a levy last year for a new jail in Cincinnati? Yeah, they do need a new and bigger one, preferably not in the middle of the city.
    I like Rick Jones, I have a lot of respect for him. I have family friends that are gonna be moving out of their houses of Union Center they have lived in for more than 20 years because of those apartments.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Yeah, a levy was denied, but it wasn’t pushed much at all. That was done for political reasons. Leis is going to be the boss man for only a little while longer. Whom ever the GOP puts up next election needs something to hang his hat on.
    Few people really understand how bad the situation really is, and they are tired of getting burnt on levy issues.

Talk is to build out toward Harrison or Colerain areas... Leis wants to suck up premium land to inflate the cost of a jail feeding his ego.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's too bad the old prison farm out on 63 isn't as big as it used to be, even though its in a different county. I like the idea of them having to work instead of watching TV while they are in prison.

A lot of building goin on out around Harrison right now though, I guess far West Side could be the best place for it. Cincinnati is not known for its good economic practices, levies included, thats for sure.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    It worked in Boston as they sent the gang-bangers to jail instead of slapping them on the wrist and showing them the door.

Problem is that most of them (Boston) are now out of jail, having served their time, and back at it again!

So the concept and implementation is good, but it can't be a "one shot" thing . . . and politicians do these things strictly as a "one shot".
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    I have been looking into this project and got a few emails from some of the local county sheriffs about this project.
    It all sounds good, but the problem is still jail space. They can't keep who the need to keep in jail now, I don't know how they expect to house more, and longer.
    I suggested bringing back a work house like they had 30 years ago, and a tent city like Sheriff Joe has in AZ. If inmates dont work, they pay to stay. Why should the tax payers foot the bill for new jails? They have plenty of man power/hours being wasted with inmates sitting around. There are plenty of dead critters and trash on the roadside, ditches and graves need digging and buildings need cleaned.
    I know the good doers of the world would never allow this, I'm just asking why not?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links