Guess you have to be rich or a criminal in the UK to buy handguns

This is a discussion on Guess you have to be rich or a criminal in the UK to buy handguns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was on Yahoo LONDON (AFP) - A powerful snub-nosed revolver owned by Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond novels, will be sold ...

Thread: Guess you have to be rich or a criminal in the UK to buy handguns

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Guess you have to be rich or a criminal in the UK to buy handguns

This was on Yahoo
    LONDON (AFP) - A powerful snub-nosed revolver owned by Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond novels, will be sold at auction in London later this month, the Bonhams auction house said Tuesday.

Experts estimate the Colt Python .357 Magnum revolver, which the Colt Company presented to Fleming as a gift in 1964, will fetch between 10,000 (14,600 euros or 19,300 dollars) and 15,000 pounds at auction on March 28.

The revolver, accompanied with a letter of authentication, will be the centrepiece at the auction of "Fine Modern Sporting Guns and Vintage Firearms," Bonhams said in a statement.

"The .357 Magnum is one of the hardest hitting handgun calibres around," Patrick Hawes, head of Sporting Guns at Bonhams, was quoted as saying.

In presenting Fleming with the gift, Bonhams said Colt may well have been thanking him for referring to a Colt .45 Peacemaker in "The Man with the Golden Gun," used by Scaramanga, the KGB villain.

Fleming owned a number of Colt weapons.

The left side of the revolvers action frame is engraved: "Presented To Ian Fleming by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Mfg. Co."

Born to a wealthy family, Fleming worked as a journalist with the British-based international news agency Reuters, and later in banking, Bonhams said.

During World War II he worked in Naval Intelligence as Commander Fleming, the right hand man to spymaster Admiral John Godfrey.

After the war a naval conference sent him to Jamaica where he fell in love with the island which became his base for writing the Bond novels at his home, "Goldeneye."
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

Collector's Item

Normally a Colt Python with short barrel would go for $1,000 or so in excellent condition. The fact that this one with Ian Fleming's name engraved on it and supporting documentation will go for $20,000 to $30,000 indicates the collector's value of a gun owned by a famous person.

I saw a Henry rifle once in the Smithsonian in Washington that had been given to Abraham Lincoln by the Henry Company, and had Lincoln's name engraved on the gun. I wonder how much that would go for if it were ever sold?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I saw a Henry rifle once in the Smithsonian in Washington that had been given to Abraham Lincoln by the Henry Company, and had Lincoln's name engraved on the gun. I wonder how much that would go for if it were ever sold?
    If I remember right it is serial number 2, serial number 1 went to the Secretary of the Navy. Original Henry's go from $10,000-$40,000, so something with a pedigree would be unbelievable......there were only 13,000 made from 1860-66. Engraved models bring 25% more.
    (p.s...my wife bought me a reproduction for Christmas a few years ago)
    Last edited by goawayfarm; March 15th, 2007 at 08:57 AM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Did I miss somthing, I thought all handguns had to be turned in to the police according to their new laws?

VIP Member
    Whaa? They can auction the gun, but regular people can't own one? How's that happen? I guess if it's a collector's item worth thirty thousand it can't be as "dangerous" as regular guns.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Some are "more equal" than others, haven't you being paying attention, Comrade????

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Some are "more equal" than others, haven't you being paying attention, Comrade????
    Oink.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Links