Pet names for your guns?

This is a discussion on Pet names for your guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone else have nicknames or pet names for their guns? I don't for my own, but me and my wife refer to her Kel-Tec as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet names for your guns?

Pet names for your guns?

Anyone else have nicknames or pet names for their guns?
    I don't for my own, but me and my wife refer to her Kel-Tec as 'Katie'.

It started when we were talking on the cellphone in public and I wanted to know if she was carrying, but without saying 'gun' or Kel-Tec', so I asked if she had K-T with her.
    That stuck and got adapted to 'Katie'. So now I can just say 'Is Katie with you?

Anyway, anyone else have names for guns that they can use in public and keep the true subject secret?

2. Remove Ads

Lightbulb ?????

"Say hello to my little friend." Rings a bell...

I sometimes refer to Mr. G...or Mr. K...depending upon which .45 is going along for the ride...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I suspect I do it with these these three factors in mind:
    1. My family has a tradition of naming our vehicles
    2. Sociologist say that groups that have several names for things show how important an item is to society
    3. I'm more comfortable refering to my 'coyote' rifle in .223 Remington than a semi-auto to my mom because of it's appearance, since I do use it for coyotes I'm not lying.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Ya know, its funny, one of my female friends just asked me the same thing. Because she heard me use a girl's name in a conversation the other day talking among my a couple friends, and she figured out what I was alluding too.

About half of mine have female names, most of which my mother actually came up with and they just stuck. Two, the Peacemaker and the Persuader, are just so perfectly named there is no other point. And the rest are just called what they are.

Most of my friends who know I carry or who shoot with know the nicknames, and it is something that we can use in public and not raise any eyebrows. When is the last time a few guys sitting in a restaurant around a college campus got a second look for saying female names? Never. But heaven forbid you say my .45.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

When is the last time a few guys sitting in a restaurant around a college campus got a second look for saying female names?
    Well, unless you say something like 'Susan has too much recoil, I will have to get rid of her.'

Administrator
    No individual pet names here but, me & the wife will occasionally use the term "the hammer" in public as generic private slang referring to whatever firearm I happen to be carrying.

Well, unless you say something like 'Susan has too much recoil, I will have to get rid of her.'
    Thats pretty good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I don't know I've dated a few women that have had a recoil that would rival a Barrett's
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    No but then i dont name other power tools either , nor do i seem to name things that most males do , i must be lacking lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    No but then i dont name other power tools either , nor do i seem to name things that most males do , i must be lacking lol .
    +1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I don't for my own, but me and my wife refer to her Kel-Tec as 'Katie'.

It started when we were talking on the cellphone in public and I wanted to know if she was carrying, but without saying 'gun' or Kel-Tec', so I asked if she had K-T with her.
    That stuck and got adapted to 'Katie'. So now I can just say 'Is Katie with you?
    Same here. When I started carrying I had a PPK so it was named Walter. When I switched to a Beretta we went with Pietro. Both are gone but we use either name and we both know what we are talking about without anybody listening being the wiser.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Actually I hadn't thought about this, but it wouldn't be a bad idea just so it could be casually mentioned in public without rousing any attention.

I have refered to my old mosin nagant as "Moe" a time or two. It is a bit surprising because I almost always come up with a humorous nickname for my car. I blame my sister for giving me the idea. When we were both still living at home, she named her plymouth "Careful". When I asked, why, she just yelled into the other room and told dad she was going to the store for a minute. Dad hollered back "Ok... Drive careful". LOL

Just for fun, here are some examples:

Grumpy, a 78 tbird wrecked in the front end, to me the front always looked like a face with a ticked off expression.

Safely, a plymouth very similar to my sisters car which she named "careful"

The rustbucket, my old 69 buick, with rust so bad, you couldn't haul watermelons in the trunk, they would fall out, so would the spare for that matter. It got so bad, that the battery fell out...twice.
    It always started on the first try, and ran like a scalded dog though.

The mystery smell machine, 96 E350 with 300,000 very poorly maintained miles on it. I drove it for work for a few months, while waiting on another truck to become available. The previous driver had been written up a couple of times over the years for poor hygene. I cleaned it thoroughly the day I took it home, but every once in a while...

Most recently there is "The Hillbilly SUV", which is my jacked up $200 crown vic station wagon. I don't drive it but a few hundred miles a year, and it will go most anywhere and haul most anything I need it to.

At any rate back to the topic of this thread. I can some possibilities for humor in naming a NAA mini revolver, Bertha. LOL!
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; March 16th, 2007 at 01:36 AM.

never could get into the 'naming thing'. my car, i own 8 guitars, my weapons... but it seems to work in your situation. like a needed code word. seems more functional than traditional which is what makes it flow. i've thought about that concept, but it just doesn't seem like it would fit me.
    What's this button do?

Administrator
    What ever one I have out at the range gets named POS, cause none of them shoot as well as I think they should. I.E., that one or two flyers is never the shooters fault, its always the POS I'm shooting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

pax
    My carry gun is "Miss Anne" -- actually, "Miss Anne Thrope," but we usually just call her Miss Anne. We use the name fairly often.

Best buddy's carry gun is "Sir Jury." He never really refers to it by name, though.

The kids' plinking rifle is "The Wizard." Scary accurate battered old gun.

My NAA mini-revolver with perlite grips is "Mini Pearl."

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links