Glock, Recoil Guide Rod

Glock, Recoil Guide Rod

This is a discussion on Glock, Recoil Guide Rod within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering replacing the all the spring on my G-22. I had this gun since the late 1980's all all parts are still orginal. ...

Thread: Glock, Recoil Guide Rod

Glock, Recoil Guide Rod

I am considering replacing the all the spring on my G-22. I had this gun since the late 1980's all all parts are still orginal. I see that the replacment recoil guide rod is offered in the orginal plastic, stainless steel. or tunsten. Comments I have had regarding the stainless steel is that it will not break or flex. IS this good or less good in the long run. I was under the impression one reason Glock used plastic was so the rod had some flex. Can any one provide information why I should stay with the plastic rod or go with a stainless steel.

Thanks

Myself im gonna change to stainless or the tunsten ... Reason they use plastic cheeper most companys are going to plastic guide rods now ... Main thing can happen is the plastic Guide rod could break and tie up the gun.

JT
    About a year ago I changed out the guide rod spring, the firing pin spring, and trigger spring in my G23. I have had it about 10 years.

As for stock versus aftermarket guide rod, you might try a search on the topic at http://www.glocktalk.com . The subject has been discussed at great length many times. I stuck with a stock rod and spring. After all the back and forth debate, I decided to stick with what has worked for me the last ten years. I’m not saying you can’t improve a Glock, but you definitely can’t go wrong with keeping it stock.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DC Founder
    If you had it since the 80's and are simply replacing to be on the safe side, I would say that the parts stand the test of time. I would use original replacement parts all the way around unless there was some type of problem you were trying to solve....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Replace em with original Glock parts. Ive never heard of a Glock factory recoil guide rod breaking...Ive heard of the ends chipping...but it didnt tie up the gun. I know I have gone 9,000 rounds thru a Glock 23 without changing the rod..no problems adn never a single malfunction thru that one.
    Brad B.

Glock says replace the recoil spring in the 40 cal. every 3-5000 rounds. Stick with Glock parts.

Mike

My first glock 17 had 50K thru it with original spring (sold it in 92 and last time I saw buyer, it was still original) nothing in my armorers manual about changing the springs.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    I'm a Glock Armorer and Instructor, and I'll say that you aren't going to improve on the factory design for general defensive firearms use. After millions (billions?) of rounds going downrange, the Glock system has pretty well proven itself. The best way to mess up any gun (not just Glocks) is to try to fix things that don't have anything wrong with them.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I thinkmost people customize articles because it's fun and there's always the 'brag factor.' Heck, I threw away a perfectly good new Harley engine and replace it with a 95-inch model. I also have several Tussey Custom pistols. Great items to play with.

My Glock 27, the one that they will pry from my cold, dead hand, is box stock and will stay that way. Admittedly, I use a 23 magazine and a grip extender, but that's for comfort.

If I ever found out the extender system cause a malfunction, I would quit using it and return to the shorter, stock magazines.

I just don't believe that a firearm earmarked for self-defense should be treated like a chromed up Ford Mustang.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    There is no reason to go with a metal guide rod in the glock. I've heard of the ends chipping on some, but glock did a recall and has fixed that problem. Glock plastic guide rods have gone through more rounds than some all metal guns can go through.

Thumbs up

Once again guys, thanks for your input. I think I'll leave everything as is but purchase an extra Glock 'stock' guide rod to have on hand should I ever did it. This forum get better all the time.....

Sponsored Links