.44 Mag and a Grizz?

This is a discussion on .44 Mag and a Grizz? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few weeks ago I started a thread about hunting rifles and Bears... Many of you suggested that I get a big Wheel for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 Mag and a Grizz?

.44 Mag and a Grizz?

A few weeks ago I started a thread about hunting rifles and Bears... Many of you suggested that I get a big Wheel for the Bear. So, is a .44 Mag big enough? Or do I need to go with a S&W 500???

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Just my own thoughts - but bigger the better!!!

.44 mag is a great round and well placed probably could do Ok but I really would want a max power available. My choice would be .454 because I have a couple ..... even a hot 45-70 too per in my BFR - that also would give me some feeling of security.

Put it this way - overkill is probably not gonna happen anyways, even with big bore handguns. Shot placement too is a biggie but I have heard stories where a shot needs taken real fast and so if accuracy is prejudiced - best to have a big stick caliber..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyman View Post
    A few weeks ago I started a thread about hunting rifles and Bears... Many of you suggested that I get a big Wheel for the Bear. So, is a .44 Mag big enough? Or do I need to go with a S&W 500???
    Well, I certainly wouldn't go any smaller. Personally I like my .475 Linebaugh, but since those are not commonly available I'd go for the .460 or the 45-70. Some of them griz's is big.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

MMmmmmm...

In Alaska...Bear...or better yet, an angry Moose who is on the same sled dog path?

A 44Mag...and a pair of brown pants helps!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some times size matters, the bigger the better, as long as you can handle it. When I was in Alaska, I was told the absolute minimum was the 41 Mag. My 44 mag was considered adequate, but bigger is better.

The only bear I ever shot was a 300lb Black bear, wich I used a .30-30. You can get an idea how tough bear are when you cleaning one. A Black bear is tiny compaired to a Grizz.
    I would atleast use a .375 H&H as a rifle cartrage. I dont know about a sidearm round. Personaly, I would keep a fast reload for the rifle. Over using a sidearm.

I've never hunted one but I do know bear have a dense thick matted hair with thick overlapping muscle.
    I'd go with a .460 as suggested by others if a proper rifle were not available to me.

When hunting stuff this big and that can hunt you I imagine it's better to have too much than just enough or worst too little...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I've been in a little griz country and I'd, personally, want a rifle and a belted magnum at that. A 44 mag would be a minimum for me, a 460 even better.

I had a friend that did the taxidermy mount for the record Kodiak. Oh my, the thought of hunting something that big was a real nightmare. I don't remember the cartridge but it was a big Weatherby. The first shot was muffed and missed the spine hitting the jugular instead. That was at 200 yards. The bear turned and charged. He got 4 more chest hits, 2 through the heart. It was still coming when the Inuit guide hit it in the head with a 10 gauge slug which bounced off the skull but knocked it off its feet. It was unable to rise again due to blood loss. The range was 15 feet at the end! The hunter gladly admitted to soiling his drawers. That blasted thing looked like a locomotive. That's what a big, wounded, angry bear is capable of......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Ok, ElCruisr, you scared me. I'm moving to the city!!! :)))
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I have found that rounds larger than the .44 magnum are not particualry fun to shoot, your wrist can only take so much pounding, and a lot more expensive. Try a .44 loaded with 310-Gr super hard cast Garrett Hammerheads. The rest of the time shooting over the counter loads is fun and only will cost you an arm instead of an arm and a leg or more for those big bore guns.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    Ok, ElCruisr, you scared me. I'm moving to the city!!! :)))
    Hey, the good news is there's no Kodiak bears in the midwest!!!!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In Alaska...Bear...
    A 44Mag...and a pair of brown pants helps!

I wished I'd had brown pants on when I came across an 8ft 1050# Alaskan Brown a few years back. But the .475 did just fine. I had two shots left. One more for the bear and....well.....

I'll have to dig out some pictures
    Last edited by p8riot; March 16th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

The British had a double-barreled pistol in something like .577. That might do the trick, but a rifle is still better. A .44 Mag will kill the bear, but he just might live longer than you do.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Bigger is better, but a hot .44 should be sufficient as a back up gun, since it's assumed you would have something bigger to start with.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Those high calaber revolver rounds are hard on the ears and handsthe 44 mag is a dream to shoot The 454 is quite a bit more recoil. I haven't shot the 460but gave read some good reviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links