Are you a left or right handed?

This is a discussion on Are you a left or right handed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Righty, but can shoot with both....

View Poll Results: Do you shoot left or right handed?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left handed

30 19.61%
  • Right handed

91 59.48%
  • Ambi or both

32 20.92%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a left or right handed?

Righty, but can shoot with both.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Lefty here, but shoots/carries right handed......right eye dominent also......I know.........I'm weird LOL
    I can shoot lefty, but more comfy shooting righty
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Right, but I try shooting left some times. I have read it helps you with form when you shoot the "normal" way.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I might be an odd-ball, but as left handed person, I shoot right handed. I hadn't really thought much about it until I saw this question, but I've think that I just use the hand I was taught on with everything. I.E., I play hockey left handed because that was how I shot when I picked up the stick as a kid, and nobody tried to teach me differently. Golf, on the other hand, I was taught to play right handed. Writing, I was taught right handed, until my mother told the schools to knock it off and they let me use my left hand (good result is I can write pretty well with my right hand which came in handy when my left arm was in a cast). Shooting... I was taught to shoot right handed, and that's how I've always done it. Weak-side training is coming along fine, but I shoot much better right handed even though it "feels" more natural to hold the gun in my left... make any sense???? No? I'm confused too.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

That was part of my thinking in putting this poll out. In addition to being left-handed, I am also cross eye dominate, which adds even more issues to shooting. (perhaps I should have included that as well...)
    forgive me, i've said this before. i'm the same way with rifles. it's best i find to shoot right handed. i got so used to it that i'm better off that way and have the best sight picture. but since i'm really left handed and eye dominance doesn't really matter with hand guns, the lefty in me takes over. then the holster issues start their own problems.
    What's this button do?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    After the first time I saw True Grit and hearing the Duke saying "FIll your hands you son of a ----," I learned to shoot with both.

Actually, when I got my BB gun I shot more left handed than right just because it was more comfortable, same as with shooting pool.

But I can only write with with my Right hand.

In some circles I guess being amberdexterous would make me a moderate.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Righty here. I usually do about 10-15% of pistol shooting with my offside hand. I never really have been able to use a rifle or shotgun left handed, but I'm also right eyed dominant, so that could be a big part of that.

I work to try to become more ambidextrous, back when I started lifting in high school it was so bad that my whole left arm was actually weaker than my right arm. On any arm isolated lift I couldn't do as much weight or reps. Fixed that at least, but still if I'm practicing strikes with someone holding a pad, they can tell with their eyes closed which hand I hit the pad with just from the amount of force transferred.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am right-handed and shoot the same. I do occasionally practice shooting with my left hand, but I can't get comfortable with it. I am aware of the benefits should certain situations arise, i.e. right hand gets shot, broken, etc. I should really put more time and concentration into bettering my ambidexterity.

Right handed.
    Sometimes I shoot left handed. I do better somtimes with my support hand. I think it's because I haven't tought it all my bad habits yet(jerk,bang,dang).
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

Lefty here, but I have practiced for many years to shoot with either hand.

As far as finding gear for me has proven to be difficult. Every where I go, there are guns and gear that are for right handed shooters, unless you shoot one of the "neutral" guns (Glock, XD and the like). I can find LH holsters for Glocks all day long, but nothing for my 1911 or Taurus.

I have had to add ambi's to my 1911, and my Taurus had them when I bought it.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I'm right-handed. My young bride is left-handed. That's why I chose primary defensive handguns (2 Kimber 1911s) with ambi safeties. I wanted her to be able to handle them equally well. Her FN-P9 also has an ambi safety, with the mag release button set up for a lefty to release with the thumb.

I practice shooting both right and left-handed every time I shoot my handguns. I occasionally work on shooting my ARs left-handed, but not as often as the handguns.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Righty and shoot right (well, not to say that it's 'wrong' to shoot lefty! ).

Like many here have said, I need to devote MUCH more time shooting with my weak hand.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I wright and all, right handed. I am left eye domanate. So I shoot handguns more proficantly right handed, and shoot rifle left.

Bing right handed, and left eye domanate is a cures if you want to shoot pool.

Senior Moderator
    I am right handed, shoot right handed. Tried it once with my left hand and boy was it hard. It felt so awkward. Though I CAN write with my left hand, it is noticeably weaker, and less coordinated in everything else.

I shoot with both eyes open because that was how I was always taught. It drives my husband crazy cause he's been trying to do that for a year.

I can shoot a long-gun equally well with either hand but I'm slightly faster with my left.

Exact opposite with a pistol...I'm better/more comfortable with my right.

I'm right-eye dominant...weird.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links