Are you a left or right handed?

This is a discussion on Are you a left or right handed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In some of the posts, I've heard people mention that they are left-handed. Some have trouble finding holsters & even firearms that are leftie friendly. ...

View Poll Results: Do you shoot left or right handed?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left handed

30 19.61%
  • Right handed

91 59.48%
  • Ambi or both

32 20.92%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a left or right handed?

VIP Member

Are you a left or right handed?

In some of the posts, I've heard people mention that they are left-handed. Some have trouble finding holsters & even firearms that are leftie friendly.

Being a left hander as well, I have had a lot of those same issues. I have also run into a lot of left handed shooters over the years.

I've heard estimates of the percentage of the population that is left handed that run from 8-15%. I was wondering what it runs in our community here.

To the lefties: How about any tips, tricks, solutions or products that help you deal with a right handed firearms.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Lefty here

Another reason i love the 1911 can trip the slide with trigger finger or slingshot

release the mag with trigger or middle finger and a ambi safety well ya know

Some of the other guns made the slide releases are just in the wrong spot for me to work

Course i think the Single Action revolvers were made for leftys

Assistant Administrator
    Righty here. I do try weak hand practice tho - boy do I need it too!

I have a feeling I or someone ran a thread on this way back but danged if I remember the result. We'll see anyways if we get a decent size sample - so folks, vote even if you don't post.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Right handed. I'm lax in practicing weak hand, need to do so more often.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I am left handed, but learned early in life to shoot right handed because most guns are set up for rightys. I shoot fairly well left handed, but have trained to shoot right for so long, well... I have almost become one of them....
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Right-handed Here...

I know that I should try more with my weak hand...but it's not something I think much about.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I grew up shooting right handed (cause I am a righty), but in CCW class learned that I'm left eye dominant and was encouraged to shoot left, so I do. I carry left, and now shoot just about equally with either hand. I should note that I still shoot rifles right handed.

My advice on dealing with right-handed firearms as a lefty? Don't. Certainly not if you're getting the firearm for self defense. I carry a HK P2000, which has fully ambidextrous controls. Quite a few modern rifles can also be had either made for lefties or (like the PS90) designed to be used ambidextrously.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Here is an ongoing poll: http://handgunsandammo.proboards36.c...ead=1105295201

I am pretty ambidextrous.

Here is what I have found:

While there are definitely exceptions, the "survivor" drive is found to be strongest in those who are either cross eye dominant to their strong hands or left handed. It does not appear that there is a significant difference. I personally believe this shows more full utilization of brain power and the ability to think around problems, quickly.

In addition to these biological factors a strong backround in religion/spirituality seems to influence this drive to come alive in most cases.

It would be very interesting to cross-correlate my humble findings to the national averages. However, this is beginning to delve too deeply into sociology and I will therefore leave off here as this is not the place to discuss such things. I may turn the bigger picture over to my sister who holds a B.S. in sociology, statistics minor, and see if she'd be interested in the study.

I think you'll find that a higher percentage of shooters are left handed or ambidextrous than the often quoted national percentage.

Josh <><

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    I think you'll find that a higher percentage of shooters are left handed or ambidextrous than the often quoted national percentage.
    Josh <><
    That was part of my thinking in putting this poll out. In addition to being left-handed, I am also cross eye dominate, which adds even more issues to shooting. (perhaps I should have included that as well...)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    right-handed and right-eyed, but I try to practice at least a little with my left every time I go shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    That was part of my thinking in putting this poll out. In addition to being left-handed, I am also cross eye dominate, which adds even more issues to shooting. (perhaps I should have included that as well...)
    I appreciate the fact that you've put this poll up. It gives me a cross reference to the one on H&A.

I would suggest that this would probably be a good sticky. My poll over there was started on Jan 9, 2005 and still going. We're up to 147 votes and have 38.7% returning as either ambidextrous or left-handed (I combined lefty and ambi). As well, I didn't include the cross eye dominance thing, but it was brought up by the first poster. I'll have to eventually tally the cross dominance trait.

Thank you for this poll,

Josh <><

I was born a lefty but the wonderful public school system forced me to write right handed. For several years I wrote ambi which drove the teachers to distraction. I finally gave in and slowly became a right hander.

Lately though I'm starting to practice more weak hand shooting. Going prettey good with the 1911's but the snubby needs work! What suprised me though was shooting my SA Micro left hand only was as good as a two handed right side grip. Whaaa?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

kpw
    Right handed but getting better with the left. I started working on left hand shooting a couple years ago and found out that it gets better very quickly. I carry my BUG on the left side and practice with it one hand, left handed most of the time. Is it me or does it seem like most left handed people are more ambidextrous than righties? My mom was left handed but was very ambidextrous. She could write her name with both hands at the same time, forwards, backwards and opposite directions. She shot equally poor with both as well.

I am right handed and shoot right handed on both pistol and rifle. My 16 yr old son is left handed and shoots pistol right handed and rifle left handed. go figure that one out...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I shoot a standard right-hander's bow, though I shoot everything else left handed. The reason for this is that the bow's grip is in my left hand, and I started out shooting left handed exclusively.

Josh <><

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links