need advice on Taurus PT-92

This is a discussion on need advice on Taurus PT-92 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to by a taurus pt 92 id like to know how good the gun is, how it shoots, and yalls opinion....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: need advice on Taurus PT-92

need advice on Taurus PT-92

I'm looking to by a taurus pt 92 id like to know how good the gun is, how it shoots, and yalls opinion.
    For gondor!!!!!, proudly said, by a man willing to fight for what he is proud to call his home

VIP Member
    The only Taurus I ever owned worked well and I had no issues (PT101), but that was almost 20 years ago.

Be prepared, there does not seem to be a lot of favorable opinions of Taurus on most forums.

If you can, I would suggest you save up a little more money, and get the Beretta.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Oh my... buckle in.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

thanks yall
    For gondor!!!!!, proudly said, by a man willing to fight for what he is proud to call his home

Semi autos have had no trouble with.
    Pt945, pt 840,
    Only one i did have a problem with was. 38 revolver. Locked up 6 rounds out of the box new.
    Metal shavings in the trigger mech.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array LeftofMars's Avatar
    I tend to agree with high pockets, if you are able save up the difference for a Beretta. Taurus is pretty hit and miss on overall quality. The PT 92 seems to be better than most Taurus models and one of the few I'd give any real consideration to but the Beretta would definitely be your best bet.
    "It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sumbitch or another." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

We never really grow up -- we only learn how to act in public.

Senior Moderator
    Moved to general firearms discussion, please keep posts on topic.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array oldranger53's Avatar
    My wife has a Taurus TCP .380.
    It shoots better and more accurately than my SW442.

But that's not a fair comparison, is it? Nope.

Next year I plan to get myself a TCP .380...but for about $150 more I can have a Beretta Pico or even Nano (which sounds better to me).

But who knows? The more I shoot my wife's Taurus, the better I like it.

YMMV
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

My PT-92 was only Taurus of 3 that worked . My complaint way to big for a 9mm . Was not a carry concealed pistol. Going to carry that I carry my 29S&W 6 44 mags trump 9mm any time.
    talos222 likes this.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

First question you have ask yourself: can I save up enough, in the time I have, to purchase a Beretta? If not, then given Taurus' hit or miss reputation, would I feel comfortable defending my life with the Taurus? Am I comfortable in taking a chance on getting a problem free gun? Be absolutely honest with your self. Do a search of Taurus 92 and read the reviews carefully, knowing that everyone has their biases. Then make your decision.
    talos222 and StormRhydr like this.

Had an old PT99, basically an adjustable sighted 92. It had been rode hard n put up wet by the time I acquired it but I liked it so much that I'll own another one. Shot good. Cycled anything I loaded it with. Too big for comfy ccw for my tastes but still a good piece. Keep an eye on the locking block for cracks, also the slide where it's the thinnest if it's a high round count gun like mine was.

Sent from my walkie talkie using a land line app
    talos222 likes this.
    When the zombies come I'll carry carry my Colt .357 on an old Sam Browne belt like Rick Grimes Loaded with Black Talons!

I have a Taurus PT92F that I bought in 1994. I had carried the Beretta in the Marines and wanted one when I got out but because I was working County Corrections and making $8.00 an hour I could afford the Taurus a lot easier. I liked the frame mounted safety and decocker on the Taurus and the fact I could carry it single action or double action. I carried it when doing prisoner medical runs and trusted it with my life and still would. It has never had a FTF or FTE, runs any ammo I have ever put in it. It is big to carry concealed (unless in the winter under a jacket). I don't know if the new ones have the same quality.
    gasmitty and WebleyHunter like this.

Distinguished Member Array C Bennett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by talos222 View Post
    I'm looking to by a taurus pt 92 id like to know how good the gun is, how it shoots, and yalls opinion.
    One of their best guns. I had the PT 99 (adjustable sight version of the 92 ) and loved it. Had over 5000 rounds through it when I traded it on a Colt Mustang II. Honestly other than early and or special edition Berettas I prefer the Taurus because it has the controls in the right place on the frame. I highly recommend it!

I have no personal experience with the PT92 but my advice would be that unless you are stealing the thing take your money and buy a Beretta. That being said, I have noticed that the PT92 tends to get more favorable reviews on gun boards than do most other Taurus offerings.

I'm with everyone else. Wait a little longer and save up for the real thing and buy the Beretta.

I forget which site it is, and I'm sure someone else here might be able to post it for you. But there's a site that sometimes gets in Police Issued Berettas from other Countries to sell. I think it would be cool to have a gun with Police markings from another Country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links