What is your "good to go" rifle?

This is a discussion on What is your "good to go" rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry Jack - the script figures on my pics are somewhat indistinct! Hey - quick pic for ya ........ on left the NATO, then Russian ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your "good to go" rifle?

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry Jack - the script figures on my pics are somewhat indistinct!

Hey - quick pic for ya ........ on left the NATO, then Russian and for good measure and comparison - a 8mm and a Brit .303 . could have added .223 as well but this is sorta looking at similar size stuff. The ''56'' on the .303 is nominal dimension.

Edit - just realized the 54R is not tapered - always imagine it is slightly, but in pic it appears parallel - sorry for earlier misguidance!

Last edited by P95Carry; March 17th, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I'm in the group that thinks 300 yards is excessive for a SHTF scenario. If I can see the BG from that distance, then I should have time to move out of that location.

Having said that, my Yugo underfolder is my go to gun.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I Can't Imagine Self-Defense At 300Ft or Yds...

If you're talking about the day the tanks with blue flags are at the end of the street to collect guns...we're all in deep S***...

However, if the gangs are roving for food or other misdeeds...my BushMaster can speak up at quite a distance...closer...I might also use my Marlin 336SS in 30-30...

Any closer and I set off the perimeter mines...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Sorry Jack - the script figures on my pics are somewhat indistinct!

Hey - quick pic for ya ........ on left the NATO, then Russian and for good measure and comparison - a 8mm and a Brit .303 . could have added .223 as well but this is sorta looking at similar size stuff. The ''56'' on the .303 is nominal dimension.

HMMMM, &.62x54....that must be a new round

I've got a Bushy M4, a Springer SOCOM II (I'm taking the rails off) and a the ever trusty Benelli Nova, as far as sticking it in a trunk, or car, I'd probally take the M4 or Nova. The Springer once I remove the rails and get a different stock may make a good truck gun but for now it's too heavy.

Now for those looking to say, "Why didn't you just buy a SOCOM 16 to begin with, I gota super deal on a NIB Socom II and couldn't pass it up.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    The 300 yard requirement sounds about right to me. I don't know of many rifles that can hit at 100 yards but not 300 (unless it's chambered for pistol ammo).

I would also require:
    1.Any optic installed will not interfere with the iron sights.
    2. Semi auto
    3. Detachable magazine
    4. Any optic will be fixed power no greater than 4X
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I only have one center fire rifle, so it's "The" weapon of choice, although the criteria discussed above makes me want to consider some additional tools......My only "Go To" is a Norinco MAK-90 currently undergoing a rebuild. Not a 300 yard weapon, but I'm still learning on it.

The other criteria I applied was:

Parts availability,
    Cheap and available ammo (what a dream!),
    Easy to learn,
    Easy maintenance, and
    Moderate investment.

Same criteria I used when I started buying Glocks.........and the Mossberg 12GA.

BTW, Chris, Great looking FAL!

My personal selection - AR15, collapsing stock, night sights (large apperture) and a short barrel. Currently 16.5" but going shorter with a pinned muzzlebrake. Only 6 lbs, adequate speed for follow up shots, no problem holding 6 inches at 300yds. And ammo is light too! Broken down, it packs easily, conceals in a backpack and nobody looks at it twice.

Used it exactly once in a self defense situation. VERY comforting.

Im happy keeping the baddies out of pistol range....

Assistant Administrator
    HMMMM, &.62x54....that must be a new round
    Oops John - that's what happens when I rush things . will edit that pdq! Thx for noticing!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Actualy I have just changed my 'go to', from the 30-30 Winchester to my new Marlin .44Mag lever action. Around here with all the trees and brush, one really isn't to worried about 300yd. A person can lose themselves real easy in the brush, as paid witness by how many people get lost each year.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys i honestly pulled the 300 yrd out of cyberspace , with a swag , the swag involved the fact that an average city block is 100+ paces , and most if not all malls are at least 3 blocks long , so roughly figured i need roughly 300 yards capibility to shoot from one end to the other . I did not specify that this would be used soley for self defense , rather as a situational tool for what may come up . I agree that 25 yards is a long range to employ " self defense " since at range other options do present themselves .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Mine is the M1 Garand I used for 1000 meter competitions that I took part in back in the 1980s when I was in the Navy. It's good out to that and has taken deer and elk at over 300 yds, without a scope.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Oops John - that's what happens when I rush things . will edit that pdq! Thx for noticing!
    Just keeping you on your toes Chris :)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Mine is the M1 Garand I used for 1000 meter competitions that I took part in back in the 1980s when I was in the Navy. It's good out to that and has taken an elk at over 300 yds, no scope.
    Fantastic rifle , and a great choice for range/hunting , howeaver how well does it work comeing out of a toolbox , backseat , or trunk ? If good for you then great but dont forget we are talking about ease of transport as well as 300 and under yards useage . for pure stand off i have other rifles too, this is what will you beat around in a vehicle and still consider reliable and accurate for the course as given .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Fantastic rifle , and a great choice for range/hunting , howeaver how well does it work comeing out of a toolbox , backseat , or trunk ? If good for you then great but dont forget we are talking about ease of transport as well as 300 and under yards useage . for pure stand off i have other rifles too, this is what will you beat around in a vehicle and still consider reliable and accurate for the course as given .
    I don't consider this a truck gun. For close in work I have an AK in each vehicle, but at 300 yds?, forget it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I have a FAL in my trunk, a beater G1 kit I built a few years back for a few hundred.

I'm not going to be taking any anti-mall shots at 300m though.

If there's that much distance, I'm not close enough to adequately tell who's the shooter, victim, etc. especially if the scope is fogged.

I lack perspective, and from a legal point of view, lack any standing or personal threat at that distance from anything short of an attack helicopter.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links