What is your "good to go" rifle?

This is a discussion on What is your "good to go" rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Marlin 336 with a red dot sight. I thought about a AK but figure if I have time to get to the rifle that pretty ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is your "good to go" rifle?

Marlin 336 with a red dot sight. I thought about a AK but figure if I have time to get to the rifle that pretty much means some kind of mall or school gunman or terrorist act. In either case, I want a rifle the police will associate with a Good guy not a BG. Can't get much more All American than a lever action 30-30, plus it is inexpensive.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I generally don't carry a long gun in my vehicle, though I have been mulling over getting a Kel-Tec subbie as a truck gun. If I had to say what's my "go-to rifle" it'd probably be my CZ 527 in .223 with a nikon 6-18X40 on it. Only because it's usually what's in my truck if I have a rifle in there, and if I grabbed a rifle at home to take care of a BG past 50yds that's probably what I'd grab. If they were out past 300yds I'd grab the old A-bolt in .338 topped with a Zeiss 4.5-14.

I'd pick the subbie as a truck gun due to it's size, simplicity, ability to fold, and most of all...they're pretty cheap. If I'm gonna have a truck gun I don't want it to be one that I'd be too upset about getting dirty/rusty or stolen.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The only one I have for now...

I had a little fun with editing a pic I took of me holding my AK47

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Currently, if I were to carry a long gun in my car, it would be my SKS. When I get another M1 carbine, that would take its place. For a SHTF type gun, my AR for precision work and my M1 Garand for putting holes thru just about anything.

But a shotgun with a variety of loads is probably even better as a go to gun (on my list of guns to get).

Since I've only got one rifle, it'll have to be my Marlin 336A .30-30.

I can see a situation where a 200-300 yard shot would be defensive.

Please, hear me out:

I'm not saying I advocate the action taken in the example given, but it is something to consider.

Carrying a weapon, carries a responsibility. (the extent of that responsibility will probably vary from person to person, I'm sure). It is different from the responsibility that police and military personal carry, but it is there. It may only be the responsibility to protect yourself and your family, but it could conceivably extend to protecting those that cannot protect themselves when the police are not around to.

My example:

A few weeks ago, there was a public shooting in Utah (at a trolley square, I believe). A lot of innocent people were injured or killed by the shooter. If you are armed with a handgun (CCW) and have a rifle in your vehicle, you could potentially take down the shooter from a safe distance with your rifle. This action could save innocent lives, without endangering yours (much).

Now, I know there are other considerations, (field of fire, legality, etc.),but I am just using this as a broad example (not something to debate tactics on).

Something to consider:

It goes without saying that you will defend yourself, and your family. But, if you are not in imminent danger, but others are, and it is in your power to safely end the threat, will you?

Be gentle
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Where I live, the 300 meter distance is not going to be a normal issue unless I am shooting on the highway. My most comfortable longarms are my marlin 1894 in .357 (shoots the same handload as my gp100 and poleaxed a 145lb dressed out weight buck at 120 meters) or my mossburg 500 with rifled barrel (have a 20-inch turkey barrel for other uses.
    either works great and I know they can drop targets out out to the 125 meter range easy.
    pax
    pt

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Haven't got one, yet. I'm considering AR platform... I really like the concept of Kel-Tec's SU-16C, but I haven't gotten a chance to really give it a good look yet.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Rock River Arms AR.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links