What is your "good to go" rifle?

This is a discussion on What is your "good to go" rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ill put this in general for the time being , since its rifle related , but a ( i hope ) far reaching thread. Clint ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your "good to go" rifle?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

What is your "good to go" rifle?

Ill put this in general for the time being , since its rifle related , but a ( i hope ) far reaching thread.

Clint Smith , John Farnam , Aayub , Cooper , and a plethora of others have come out in favor of the " rifle " as the answer to a firefight .
    Clint went so far as to say that a pistol is what you use to get to your rifle .. now that is a paraphrase not a quote , but sums up the attitude .

So for those of us who have a truck or trunk gun , and those who are thinking about it .......

Just what are your personal qualifications and thoughts for this rifle ?

Ill kick the ball off with an admitidly incomplete list that i have used .

1. It needs to reliably place rounds on a torso at 300 yards .
    2. faster follow up shots are better than slow .
    3. at 300 yards it needs to put someone down at least as reliable as 9mm will do at 25 yards .
    4. at 2 to 300 yards magnified optics are your friend tho not necessary .
    5. optics WILL fail , be it a battery going dead , or a scope fogging they are fickle and will quit you when you want them the most , so have irons as a backup .
    6. What is cover for a .223 is concealment for a .308 , and conversely a .308 will shoot thro the bad guy and kill the autistic child setting in a van load of nuns 200 yards downrange.
    7. Expensive rifles subjected to constant vehicle carry rapidly become expensive junk. They will continue to work fine , but due to the dings and " hickys " that day to day life will impart they will quickly loose value .
    8. Vehicles are not secure firearms storage , if they dont steal the gun they may well steal the entire car.

Just some points , yall will come up with many more ...

For myself now i have 2 rifles i use for a " car gun " One is a norenco para sks . The other is a rock river AR . Both will fit into a soft guitar case to xport into a hotel ect.. ( that does not raise eyebrows like a gun case does ) . Honestly if only I travel i take the ar , if me and the wife travel i take both and she would get the ar if needed . Anyway chip in with thoughts both pro and con on the " go to gun " and the practical advantages / difficulty's of having it
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

What is the application?

You seem to be talking about a self defense scenario, but you mention hitting human size targets at 200 to 300 yards.

Although this happens in warfare and police situations, I can't think of this capability being needed for most civilian self defense against criminals. Am I missing something?

Pogo , it entirely depends on your mindset , There have been several threads on malls , schools , ect .. of late ( one of them mine ) and a rifle unargueably expands your range capibilitys . If you got your family or charges out of a bad public building situation and decided you could not go back into it , would you want something that would accurately shoot further than your pistol ( assuming you did not just get in the car and leave ) or not ? 2nd is next time you go to the mall take the time to count your steps and figure about 27" per step to the closest door , use that to " guestimate " the distance to all the doors and parking areas you can see ... you will see range requirements fast , I hope i am not un realistic on them since i dont do many malls ect..
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Ruger semiauto .223

Although I am mainly a handgun fan, I do own one rifle that I bought about 8 years ago with defense in mind. It is a Ruger Mini 14, an inexpensive .223 carbine that is not known for accuracy. However, it is easy to hit man size targets at 100 yards with the gun, and I have practiced at that range with it. I also have some 20 round magazines for it, and the gun has been reliable. It certainly would be more useful than a pistol at intermediate ranges from 25 to 100 yards.

In the rare situation where I needed something like this, I thought I would buy it and become familiar with it. I keep a supply of ammo for it in inventory.

Is this what you are referring to?

pretty much exactly pogo lol . now put it in a vehicle and it would be a " go to " gun , just what i brought the thread up for .

Assistant Administrator
    I would reach for my FAL: Bob - mainly on account of your range specification max.

BTW - subject line ''reads funny'' - what should it be and I'll tweak it!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Not the fastest loading gun by any means but if I needed a rifle for home defense it'll be my Marlin 30-30 carbine. Last time it was in the trunk (back of my truck) was on the way home from a day of hunting but if I HAD to grab for something then yeah, that'd be the one.

Considering grabbing a Yugo SKS or two with my C&R in the near future, more because they're affordable and I'd like something in the 7.62x39 caliber than because of any perceived threat level though.
    Jack

1. It needs to reliably place rounds on a torso at 300 yards
    Can't see this as a self defense need. at that range it's basically sniping (offensive) . It would be realistic if you are talking a SHTF scenario , but even at that , avoidance is preferable .

Now for MY go to guns , I carry my XD45 or witness 45 which will get me to my KELTEC SUB2000 (loaded 15 rds) while home . Out in the world , well , either of my carry pieces are adequate . I shoot both out to 100 yds and to me that's enough distance for self defense . Now if society broke down etc , I have a few other go to guns for that scenario which could get me out to 500+ yds with no problem

Hey Chris, got any picks of the FAL? I'm not too up on military rifles (CETME, FAL, etc) and curious what it looks like.
    Jack

Chris you understand the guist of what i am asking , feel free to change topic header to fit , I just thought this one would incite views . It could be a lot better tho lol .

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Chris, got any picks of the FAL?
    Jack - my FAL is one bought from a guy a few years ago - all I know of its history is it is built up on an Imbel. It sure is a fine rifle tho IMO.

I also have a Century L1A1 - still useful but does not compare to the metric FAL. The caliber tho gives good ''reach'' as well as effectiveness.

Chris - P95

I haven't given it much thought, but when I get around to a self defense rifle that will end up in the truck it will have to do the following:
    - 150-200 yard accuracy
    - Reliability, of course
    - The shorter, the better. I don't want my rifle getting caught on anything when it is being taken out of a vehicle.
    - Something powerful enough to take take the local wild predators (The animals, people :p)
    - Fast follow shots is desirable.

Those are going to be my requirements. The Mini 14 would cover almost all of that, but it's accuracy is in question. While I haven't researched much, I imagine a M4 variant would work fine.
    Beretta 92FS

Thanks for the pics Chris, both are nice but that top one's a beauty! Looks like it'd be pretty hefty to tote around for long periods though, like in the woods gathering food, bugging out and such - not really the original point of the thread but I like my guns to fill as many roles as possible. Is there a difference between 7.62x54 and 7.62x54R (Mosin Nagant round)? I'm such a C&R noob.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Is there a difference between 7.62x54 and 7.62x54R (Mosin Nagant round)?
    Jack - the NATO round is 7.62 x 51 and is a parallel bottle neck case and rimless .... meaning it has a base like you see on a 9mm for example.

The 7.62 x 54R (Russian) is a taper case bottle neck but rimmed. Quite an odd looking round in some ways. No pics to hand but can later take a pic of both for comparison.

Ballistically I forget the differences but they are IIRC relatively small overall.
    Chris - P95

Aha, I misread the text on your pic as "54" instead of "51." Got it, thanks!
    Jack

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links