The curiosity was killing me

This is a discussion on The curiosity was killing me within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had been looking for a good CAR gun, you know, one that I could keep with the car. One that even if the car ...

Thread: The curiosity was killing me

The curiosity was killing me

I had been looking for a good CAR gun, you know, one that I could keep with the car. One that even if the car was stolen, I wouldn't be out a lot of money. I had been reading a bit about HI-POINT and thought I would give it a try. I am huge about grip feel, Glocks, hate 'em. Feels like a brick in my hand so I don't own any. I must pick up the weapon and FEEL for myself. Last week at a local gun show, a vendor had a HI-POINT 40 S&W for $169.00 out the door. Well I thought, here is my chance. I bought the weapon and fired it fot the first time today. Holy crap, it even had elevation sights on it ( something I wish my Taurus 24/7 PRO 45 ACP had). I put 100 WWB rounds through it with only one FTF. It was while my son was shooting it, he is somewhat of a novice to handguns so we will chalk this up to limp wristing. But all in all, what a value. After about 20 rounds of shooting at falling plates, I had the zeroizing done and we were shooting COM. I HIGHLY recomend this weapon, for a blow-back configuration, it is worth the small amount of money!!
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I remember someone on here saying something about highpoints being truck guns, and how dangerous that is. He had a good point about its not the money lost, its about the fact you just armed a low life for someone else to deal with. I thought that was a very wise.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your highpoint, but please store it correctly. I dont want your curiosity killing me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    but please store it correctly. I dont want your curiosity killing me.
    +1+

I remember someone on here saying something about highpoints being truck guns, and how dangerous that is. He had a good point about its not the money lost, its about the fact you just armed a low life for someone else to deal with. I thought that was a very wise.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your highpoint, but please store it correctly. I dont want your curiosity killing me.
    I have a friend who has one of those guns in 9mm that he keeps in his truck. We were out doing some hunting guide work a few weeks back and he used it for a little varmit control. It worked, but man is that thing ugly.

Anyway, The above quote is why I don't carry a rifle or shotgun in the window of my truck like I used to. It's a shame that we have to change our behavior based on our assumptions related to possible criminal action, but then again that's what this board is really all about isn't it?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Lead Moderator
    Sixto is right. even with a good car safe, I would not store my gun all the time in the vehicle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    If you keep a firearm in your vehicle locked and out of sight!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I had a Hi-Point .40 S&W as a first handgun, it shot very well for such an inexpensive handgun, and yes it was ugly. Then I traded it in for the Hi-Point C9, and that too was a great shooter. Hi-Point pistols are in no way anything to admire, but they work. For those of you who think Hi-Points are worthless junk, but you've never shot one, try one for yourself, and you'll wish you had done that sooner. I can't stand people who bash certain guns they have never fired. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, and I would certainly trust it as a home defense gun, but no way would I ever try to carry one.

I've had numerous students bring hi-points to our courses...I've yet to see one function well.

Just my experience I guess

VIP Member
    Agreed...no full-time storage of guns in a car; a number of LEO vehicles across the country (and I don't mean marked cruisers/radio cars) get broken into and their weapons (and other gear) stolen to the point that a number of agencies forbid overnight storage of weapons in their cars under the penalty of administrative discipline to the offending LEOs.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

plenty of car safes out there for storage, if you must. be aware of where you park...

I never store a firearm in my vehicle, If I need my car gun it leaves the house with me and is put back in the house when I return. I do although leave a machete, ax and nives in my emergency kit. They may be used as weapons if stolen but they are more upclose and personal type items.

I Would Never Leave A Gun In My Vehicle...

except if I have to enter a restricted zone...not many down here. In that case, I have a 'Center of Mass' gun safe that is not easily found in the car. The weapon would never be in the car over a night. We've already had several car incidents in a great neighborhood (anthough they did catch the dirtbags and I got my stuff back).

I was not worried about the stuff taken, but I would have had great concern if a weapon were taken...my gun stays on my person or sleeps in the house.

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

He had a good point about its not the money lost, its about the fact you just armed a low life for someone else to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sixto is right. even with a good car safe, I would not store my gun all the time in the vehicle.
    +1 Fellas. Even with a nice safe, I wouldn't trust my vehicle as being a very secure place to store a firearm long-term.

Wow, my 500th post!!

I've heard mixed opinions regarding Hi-Point firearms, but they are American made.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Administrator
    I can write a book on hi points... but I dont want to start a war again.

I will say that they are not intended to be a professionals gun or stand up to the use that anyone who shoots often would put them through. I would not bet my life or your life on one, and you do get what you pay for in the gun world.(for the most part)

If the one you have works for you more power to you, just dont be fooled by its capability or lack there of.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It is amazing how clarity will hit you like a ton of bricks. After reading what I wote I am ashamed. I used the wrong words to express my desrire to own this handgun. I would like to think that I am a responsible gun owner and would never give someone a easy opportunity to use one of my handguns to commit a crime. Be sure that this handgun will not stay in the vehicle overnight and will be locked when I am with it. I realize the amount of LEO that are killed in the line of duty every year with stolen weapons. Thanks to the older members for graciously allowing me to realize I was wrong.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Links