Stance

This is a discussion on Stance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For me the weaver stance is better for slow firing accuracy, and the isosceles is better for rapid fire close range. In the end, I'm ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stance

For me the weaver stance is better for slow firing accuracy, and the isosceles is better for rapid fire close range. In the end, I'm a weaver guy, but I do mix it up a bit once in a while and shoot a little isosceles. I think the biggest downside for me is that its such a two handed position. I don't like that.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Jdlv4 , she may well lean back or be upright to far , but fix the weight dont change what works . She told us what works for her , now make it work as a stance .
    And he gets to sleep outside tonite!

I tried this one with my wife. No gun, just ask her to take a stand like she was going to box and beat the crap out of you. Then get her to get the gun and see if she shoots confortably like that.

And get her some flowers, chocolate and extra ammo to get out of the doghouse
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    And he gets to sleep outside tonite!

I tried this one with my wife. No gun, just ask her to take a stand like she was going to box and beat the crap out of you. Then get her to get the gun and see if she shoots confortably like that.

And get her some flowers, chocolate and extra ammo to get out of the doghouse
    No, worries Miggy, I'm out of town on business :) And I usually bring home flowers as GP whenever I get back, I'll just have to get 2 doen this time around

VIP Member
    One things not mentioned yet: center of gravity. What may appear to jdlv4_0 as having the shoulders too far back may in fact be perfectly balanced for a women. Weight distribution in the female body is different from that in the male body. The center of gravity is normally lower for the female.

Since 1) I am not expert and 2) I have not seen limatunes shoot, I am just setting forth something to consider. My wife shoots using an isosceles shooting posture and at one time we discussed her trying a modified Weaver. She tried it and didn't like it. Besides I can't argue with success. She is a much better shot than I am.

It always looks to me like her shoulders are too far back, but it works. Until I can get to where I shoot better than she does I have no comment. BTW she is shooting the S&W 1066 10mm above. Even with me snapping photos she put 10 rounds into COM on a silhouette target at 25 feet. Actually, she put a ragged hole COM with 10 rounds.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Folks, what may work for target shooting may not work for self defense or combat shooting. You need to be on the balls of your feet, and ready to move in any direction. Have you ever heard the term "a sitting duck"?
    You also need to find your balance point as mentioned, you may come in physical contact with a BG and you dont want to be knocked off balance.
    What may work for me may not work for you, its a to each his own deal. Just keep in mind punchng holes in paper is not combat shooting.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 19th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Most people stand to arect when shooting targets. Every time you shoot you should be thinking about what position you would take if frightened or getting ready to fight. Think abvout how you stand when getting ready to hit a ball in baseball. The crouch one takes for stability to swing a bat works as well while shooting.

Senior Moderator
    Okay, first of all, the condemned man, is not that condemned at all. As I said, I'm not stubborn and always willing to try new things but was looking for a.. second opinion (if you will). I have a very understanding and accommodating husband who is always trying to further my training, understanding and knowledge.
    My question has already been answered in the importance of the stances and the benefit of learning the different stances and getting comfortable with them.

The other advice is great and I'd never heard it before. Thanks to all who have contributed. I'll try to work on it some more.

We have done shooting while moving, finding cover, reloading and all of that stuff, and to be honest, my stance was one of the last things on my mind, but I didn't trip over myself. I wish we could do more of that more often.

My husband is a great "coach" and I'm lucky to have him to listen to.

VIP Member
    Jdlv4: OK, only a dozen roses, a box of Ferrero Rocher (small) bonbons and a box of WallyWorld White Box.

Unless she is playing for the masses and then you may want to think about buying her a new gun altogether!

limatunes, go easy on the guy, OK?

On a somewhat serious note: You will never stop learning, I know everytime I think "I got this pat down" somebody comes along a teaches me something new that works for me or does not work but I can pass it to somebody else that can use it. That alone is a thing of beauty, we do not become jaded in our shooting.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - if white socks, sandals and shorts are worn - where's the problem LOL
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Isnt that the uniform for the country's largest retirement home, the great state of Florida?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    FL Sixto? - nah - it works up here in PA too
    Chris - P95

pax
    limatunes ~

Swing by my site & check photos of various stances. (Ummm, www.corneredcat.com/Basics/stance.aspx ... I think. That's off the top of my head. Anyway, it's the article titled, "Choose a Stance.")

Your husband is probably right that your shoulders are too far back for defense work. An upright or slightly bent-backwards stance is fine for range work, but if you're practicing for self-defense, you want to get your weight centered over your hips so that you can easily move in any direction. This also helps (a lot) with the speed of follow up shots and how controlled they are.

Get your shoulders forward (SLIGHTLY) of your hips, and your hips slightly forward of your knees. Drop your center of gravity just slightly so that you could run forward or backward, or dodge to either side with equal ease.

As for Iso vs Weaver, that usually turns into a religious debate that gets people all hot-n-bothered. Me, I prefer Iso & I have noticed that most women do better in Iso, if only because most women aren't shooting guns that really fit their hands. If the gun is slightly too large for your hand, Iso does a more natural job of getting your dominant eye behind the sights than Weaver does. (See photos which might make this clearer at www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/tryongun.aspx ) That's most women -- not necessarily any particular woman.

When it gets right down to it, stance is a very personal thing. I've always thought it funny that only two or three guys have a stance named after them, when just about every person who ever picks up a gun ends up inventing their own stance to suit their own body shape, flexibility issues, gun fit, etc. It might look the same as the next guy's Weaver or Iso, but stance is actually a very personal thing which will be slightly different for every body.

So if you keep experimenting and listening to those who've gone before, you'll find what works for you, but there are some basics you want to watch for in defensive stances (target shooting is an entirely different beast).

1) Weight forward of the hips for recoil control.
    2) Able to move easily in any direction.
    3) Not too contorted (all unfamiliar stances feel awkward at first, but none should hurt).
    4) Good peripheral vision when possible (eg don't choose a stance that closes off half your field of vision if you can avoid it).

Hope that helps.

Oh, and tell your honey to hire someone else to do the teaching, eh? Save your range time together for pure shooting fun, try to avoid getting into a furball with each other over instructional stuff. It's not worth it.

(Said the woman whose husband has just barely forgiven her since the last time she talked him into going to the range with her...)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Administrator
    But...but PA is right next door to Ohio, it cant be! I need more ammo, they are getting closer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

None whatsoever! The ensamble makes for a very stable platform. And we both know it!
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha Miggy (''in joke'' folks) ............. true enough dude
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links