Stance

This is a discussion on Stance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by limatunes So.... eh hem... hubby was right.. again. (Sorry baby ). I'm gonna get it for this but I gotta say it... ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stance

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

So.... eh hem... hubby was right.. again. (Sorry baby ).

I'm gonna get it for this but I gotta say it...

Can we get this stickied and locked for historical reasons?

J/K I'm glad you went out shooting and applied what changes YOU felt were nessecary to improve your skills.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    So.... eh hem... hubby was right.. again. (Sorry baby ).
    Holy cow, I thought Lima was a cool lady before, but now I am thinking she is just an alter ego of JD. I have never known any real woman make such a statement, let alone to her own husband!
    Last edited by JD; November 17th, 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Changed my name...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator

Talking

I think I'm real! Let me check...

Yep... I'm real....lol.

You know what they say about pride... it comes before a fall. I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong.

Now I have to go take pictures of my targets so that I can show my progress..

He's just lucky cause he found a gal who's not afraid to wash her hands with a hose in her wedding dress...

Why that's relevant, I have no idea.. I just found the picture, thought it was funny and posted it.. Still waiting for the other one's to upload.... darn internet.
    Last edited by limatunes; March 20th, 2007 at 09:56 PM.

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Holy cow, I thought Lima was a cool lady before, but now I am thinking she is just an alter ego of jdlv4_0. I have never known any real woman make such a statement, let alone to her own husband!
    Well SIXTO, that seems to be your problem. You need to find a REAL woman like I did.

Senior Moderator
    Okay... here are my pictures...

First target... I was still pretty hot from work and just shooting. I didn't care. I was also using the weaver stance.

In this picture I actually started caring and trying other stances.

Still modifying...

The above were all at seven yards with a three inch barrel. For the last target I moved to ten yards...
    Last target and pretty happy with it...

The quarter is for size comparisons...

JD
    Administrator
    Good shooting!

I think afer a little more practice, and more rounds down range you will be quite happy in the results. I'll pick up more ammo on my way back.

Limatunes, if I may ask, how did you alter the stance to make it work for you? Just reduce the amount of leaning forward?
    On a slightly related note, at least to all the martial arts references and fighting stance comments, I've said before that in a real emergency, stance is just where ever your feet are when you happen to be shooting. I've modified that slightly to say that one way to improve that stance is to solve the emergency quickly. Any stance is much more comfortable when you aren't be shot at while using it.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Try a startled stance, look at videos of people in real gun fights and see where they end up, even years after training in a weaver.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Limatunes, if I may ask, how did you alter the stance to make it work for you?
    Well, when I got to the range I was actually really ticked off so I just opened fire and I didn't give a crap how I was standing... no surprise.. I was standing how I always do, in Weaver.

So, after I calmed down, I tried the iso. with a hint of weaver in there and that was VERY awkward.

At the range I was at there is carpet, and the carpet ends into the concrete which is really the firing line. I put my toes right on the edge, thought "nose over toes," bent my knees, leaned forward, and again, felt like I was going to fall over.

I straightened out a bit, then tried again, leaning forward, and anchoring my feet just a bit and bending my knees just a bit more.

I really just kept moving around (leaning more forward, bending my knees some more, rocking on my feet) with my gun in my hands (pointed safely down range, of course) and waited until I felt solid and really planted to my spot. My arms were getting a bit tired, but that's okay.

I pulled the trigger and landed one in the 10 ring... My first thought was, "Oh darn, now I have to apologize to my husband."...lol. .. No, actually my first thought was, "FINALLY!"

After that I started getting pretty good groups.

Sometimes I would loose my stance when I reached for more ammo and it would take me some more moving and shooting to find it again, but all in all I think it was a productive trip to the range.

JD
    Administrator
    Sometimes I would loose my stance when I reached for more ammo and it would take me some more moving and shooting to find it again, but all in all I think it was a productive trip to the range.
    Ok, time to start your dry firing again, you know where the snap caps are, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Work on getting that comfortable spot, soon it will become very natural.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links