Children's Firearms Safety Class

This is a discussion on Children's Firearms Safety Class within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm an NRA pistol instructor. I've had several parents ask me to instruct a children's introduction to firearms safety class when it gets warm out. ...

Thread: Children's Firearms Safety Class

I'm an NRA pistol instructor. I've had several parents ask me to instruct a children's introduction to firearms safety class when it gets warm out.

For those of you who are instructors, have you done something like this? What would you include? How long would the class be? Any suggestions would be helpful.

My initial thoughts are: insist 1 parent attend with the child, limit size of class to no more than 5 kids, teach a quick version of Eddie Eagle first, then the NRA safety rules. I have a Ruger 22 pistol. Should I also get a small .22 rifle or just concentrate on pistols?

Please give me as much commentary as you can, so I can develope a quality program that will keep the kids interested.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Lead Moderator
    Personally I would concentrate on rifles. I see no need for children(even hunting age) to handle pistols. they are shorter ,therefore easier to point in the wrong direction. Also much harder to shoot accurately. (than a rifle)
    I have taught both my kids to handle rifles from the age of 7 yrs old. I just see handguns as not needed for youngsters(yet) . Kids can get frustrated easily ,you want em to have it easy(to keep em interested).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    What are the ages of the kids?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I'm thinking age range maybe 7 or 8 up to 12.

I would include pistols---here's why: there are irresponsible gun owners who keep firearms in the most unsecure of places--a dresser drawer, under the bed, under the mattress, or "high on a shelf, out of reach", etc. This is exactly where kids find guns....and where they point them in the wrong direction.

Show them--take away the curiosity...and reinforce Eddie's rules

Mike

while i am not an instructor, I'd like to be, I would have both the pistol and the rifle. I would go over the basics of both of them so they know what each does, how they work, etc. This would give them a good understanding of firearms in general and might help them get over the possibly dangerous curiosity. When it comes time for the kids to actually shoot the guns, I would concentrate on the rifle as it is easier for them to shoot and is still lots of fun.

Agreed Sigguy.
    Learning about rifles and pistols in so far as function & safety is pretty much real world practical.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

When my son was seven I gave him pellet/bb pistol and spent time shooting with him. I think that each child has a different age that they can be introduced to rifles and pistols. My son was shooting a 22 rifle with me and my wife at the age of 5, so he had worked up to the pistol. I believe that it is best to start with a rifle and when a child proves they can be safe then advance to a pistol.

They have now come out with a double barreled shotgun in air soft, that would be good to start teaching shildren about shotgun sports.

Raevan!!!

Thats an excellent idea...AirSoft for training/introducing kids and the gun adverse!

I've got a 4yr. old daughter who keeps asking me when she can go to the range with me and get her own "shooter".
    Thus far I've only given her a full size squirt gun, in 1911 format of course (!), but that was just to get her off my back for the minute.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Ask the NRA about the "eddie eagle" training class for kids. They should be able tell you what it consists of. A local range gives that class.

Thanks guys for the responses!

My main focus is an introduction to shooting firearms. I'm thinking both rifle and pistol. As some of you mentioned, pistols are the biggest concern of the kids finding them in the homes and satisfying their own curiousity. I am a HUGE advocate of teaching the children about the dangers of firearms from the time they come home from the hospital. I can teach the aspects of Eddie Eagle during the class. But "instructing" the Eddie Eagle program removes firearms from the class, and that's not my goal. This will clearly be an introduction to shooting and safety with firearms. That's what the parents are looking for that want their kids to take this class.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Ask the NRA about the "eddie eagle" training class for kids. They should be able tell you what it consists of. A local range gives that class.
    Eddie Eagle is not a Firearm Safety class. Eddie eagle is a Firearms awareness and avoidance training. Teaching kids what do do if they find a gun. "Stop, Don't touch, Leave the Area, Tell an Adult" Thats all it teaches.

Eddie Eagle is not even allowed "HIMSELF" to be around guns. NRA annual meetings hes not even allowed to go into the exhibit hall. Thats why hes always next to the NUG's table outside the doors.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Sponsored Links